Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nightmare and I'm still in disbelief.
I had a street accident (my fault) yesterday and no one injured but my Bronco had mostly body damage and Geico says it's 'totaled' and worth $3400
The shop/yard they towed it to says it's just body work.
Any advice on:

Trying to get insurance to increase value since I did an internet search and finding comparables listed between $5500-7000. Also blue book estimates about $5300.

Figuring how to find a dependable, quality shop where I can perhaps get them to order parts from LTC, Bronco Graveyard or similar so I can save $$ on repair.

Thanks

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Sorry for your accident, but glad nobody was hurt.

I'd post pics. It will help us make suggestions.

Are they saying it was worth $3400 before the accident? ...or after.

Depending on level of coverage, most insurance companies write estimates based on used parts....even on 2 year old cars. If major parts aren't available, they use aftermarket, sometimes CAPA certified parts. Even if you could find them, insurance companies aren't going to use OEM parts. Point is, even the LMC and/or Graveyard Bronco parts are more than likely cost more than used stuff.

I would certainly go back to your rep and talk to him/her. I would have (sold) comps with pics and good descriptions with similar pre-crash conditions. It's certainly worth a shot. Just because it's totaled, doesn't mean they get to keep it. You can opt to cover the difference between what they finally agree to pay and the cost to fix. Not knowing anything about the shop where it is, it's always nice to have 2 or 3 competing estimates.

Not knowing anything about your damage, you can always keep the truck, take the check and try to find a donor, or scout your own parts.

Good luck.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,088 Posts
Only thing I can add is I would be getting it back to your house if at all possible sooner rather then later.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Get the truck in your possession and fight the insurance company with evidence of comp Bronco sale prices and KBB valuations if above what they are valuing it at. In the future, it's always a good idea to insure vehicles like this at an agreed upon value imo.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Yep, like everyone else says, don't give them the truck.

I had a toyota pickup stolen once when I was a teenager and it was totaled (really just paint scratched to hell.) But the insurance gave me 5,000 for it and I had to give them 400 bucks to keep the truck. Took it to a dealer and sold it for 2500 bucks and traded it for a dodge ram. That truck sucked :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday, I went to the yard where it is stored and got some personal belongings from it. The Bronco is kept at a yard that is part of a collision body shop. The owner of the shop walked out with me and viewed my bronco and commended how nice of a EB it is.
He pointed out that damages were to the drivers side front fender and bumper, headlight, grill and the front hood got pushed up some. The windshield needs replacing. Also the passenger side front fender has slight dent in it so passenger door wont open due to decrease spacing. Also driver side rear quarter panel has dent near tail light and that light is broken. He didnt see any suspension damage and the Bronco started right up.
Today, the insurance adjuster says they're moving from the yard the police towed it to their storage yard that called "Insurance Auto Auctions" so they wont have to pay daily for storing it. When I began questioning about it's security she assured me they no one would have access to the yard as it is not open to public.
Explain why you are saying you would get it back to my home as soon as possible?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Yesterday, I went to the yard where it is stored and got some personal belongings from it. The Bronco is kept at a yard that is part of a collision body shop. The owner of the shop walked out with me and viewed my bronco and commended how nice of a EB it is.
He pointed out that damages were to the drivers side front fender and bumper, headlight, grill and the front hood got pushed up some. The windshield needs replacing. Also the passenger side front fender has slight dent in it so passenger door wont open due to decrease spacing. Also driver side rear quarter panel has dent near tail light and that light is broken. He didnt see any suspension damage and the Bronco started right up.
Today, the insurance adjuster says they're moving from the yard the police towed it to their storage yard that called "Insurance Auto Auctions" so they wont have to pay daily for storing it. When I began questioning about it's security she assured me they no one would have access to the yard as it is not open to public.
Explain why you are saying you would get it back to my home as soon as possible?
So they don't sell it out from under you. DON'T LET THEM TAKE IT ANYWHERE YOU DON'T HAVE IMEDIATE ACCESS TO. Especially a auction yard. All the damage you listed is easily fixed. I'd talk to the body shop guy about it. He seemed honest and he may have more experience in dealing with insurance companies. Heck, hey may even work with you on storage fees. Until the insurance company writes you a check, the bronco is still yours! If possible, see if it can be towed to your place, or if that's not possible for whatever reason, a buddy who's willing to sit on it till this is all taken care of. Oh, and KEEP THE TITLE! If you plan on fixing it, don't sign the title over to anybody. If the insurance company tries to claim that the truck is theirs, you'll have the title in hand to show a judge that you clearly did not sign it over.

As far as fixing it goes, everything you listed on the front can be picked up at the local junkyard from a same year F150. The read dent could be a problem, depending on how big it is. After that, its just a matter of paint. Pics really would help.

Again, UNTIL you've handed them the title and they cut you a check, the bronco is still yours. DON'T LET THEM TAKE IT ANYWHERE YOU CAN'T CONTROL IT!

Forgot to mention that so long as your bronco can still move under its own power, it cannot be considered totaled. (Damned "throw away" society.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
x2 all of the above! In some cases they also have to accept a licensed appraisers valuation of the car. I would check into it and make sure you buy it back from them no matter what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If your insurance company totaled it and you want to keep it you will have to settle for blue book and a salvage title.
There are no ifs ands or buts
I don't understand why its at an impound yard and not your house or at a shop that you wanted it towed to.
If a vehicle is "impounded" then there must have been some legal issues, no licence, expired tags, no insurance, dui etc. If it were just an accident then you can have towed or stored wherever u want

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
"If" you let them buy it "and" you agree to the price they offer "but" you then buy it back from them after they've salvaged the title "or" you've never heard of a reconstructed vehicle inspection. I never have on any of the vehicles I've totalled & kept, or the vehicles I've bought that have been totalled, including the one I'm building now, or the ones I've built for other people, so none of them have salvage titles or were sold for blue book. :thumbup
Ok no ifs ands or buts except for Steve.....Really? None of your totaled vehicles have salvage titles?

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Outdoorman - do yourself a favor, go to your state's insurance regulatory agency and read the governing rules for your state regarding "totals". There are subtle variations.

Also, so you know what your "adversary" is up to...read the Geico website on totals.
https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsprocess/total-loss-process/

If it were mine, regardless of the state, I would have it towed to property under my control. I would not relinquish control of the keys. I would give them to them only on certain conditions. The longer it sits, the more likely something will happen to it and / or you just give up and take whatever they offer.

The longer it sits at a shop, the more it accrues storage fees. I have a buddy with a body shop and the insurance companies will screw him around too. If they won't pay to fix a car that's been sitting around while they dicker, he can always hit them with storage.

I wouldn't let the insurance company profit from your loss.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,686 Posts
my condolences. if you cared enough about your Bronco to come here, you really should listen to the advice you've been given and save it. you may call it "your Insurance Company" but don't fool yourself into believing they work "for you".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your getting the right advice, get the bronco home. It is your truck not theirs, unless you agree to take their settlement. In the late nineties, someone pulled out and totaled my 94 cobra conv. I had to fight the tow driver on the scene because he wanted to take it to their yard. I won and had it brought to my house. Insurance wanted to give me 7500 for the car. I refused and held out for a month arguing with them. Finally, they paid me for the repairs and I kept the car. The car was fixed for a lot less than they estimated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I see your in GA. You should be able take the settlement from your insurance company and buy your truck back from them with a salvage title. Then you can take the money and rebuilt the truck, or part it out. I GA. you can get a re-built title for your truck and still drive it on the road.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,088 Posts
Agree with above and is also why I would of not let MY truck go to the insurance lot and it would instead be brought to my home. I have seen this play out a couple times and have also had them try to do it to me but I had it towed to my house on my own dime which they then later pay me back for. TO me once its on their lot it is going to be increasingly more difficult to get it out of there though they don't really have the right to hold it from you like that.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts