Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know i was thinking... i made mine and it wasnt that hard to do. it really just took time. having a torch and welder helped i guess. but you know i was seeing people selling them for $275 with exchange. that seemed high for me and i didnt want to spend that much. i dont have a bender yet so i cant do any tube work, but i can wrist radius arms cheaper than $275... i have 4 arms sitting around from other vehicles i parted out. would anybody be interested in buying one? just feeling out the market so to speak. i would have a core charge or you could send me your arm. you would pay shipping both ways... they are 15 pounds before and close to 40 after. i think $200 to do your arm would be pretty cheap depending on shipping rates. just curious. what do you think? AXE

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, my cousin took a pic and i am waiting for him to email it to me. i left my welds as is but i guess i could grind it smooth and make it look like solid stock. as it is, i like the welds. i should have that picture up soon, but it looks like every other wristed arm. the outer plates are rounded and the whole arm is filled with 1/2" plate steel all the way up the channel. i wire brushed the whole thing and its all shiny. the pivot is a 1" grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut and flat washers on both sides. to lock it is a 5/8" hitch pin. i may get fancy in the future and use bronze bushings in the pivot hole. and i was thinking about adding a grease fitting to lube the pivot. i also thought that i may go over the one i have with my stick welder and make it look like it had scales. i am just spitballing here. i will get a pic up as soon as possible. i also filled in the ==C part so its all solid all the way. i can also fill in the other arm if you want and its recommended.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
in a recent post, you mentioned you recently bought a stick and learned to use it.
are you confident in your cast to steel welding on a truck blasting 65 moh down the freeway?
before you asked me about "welding" om bronze bushing/ good luck on that.....

5/8" is also a tad small on the bolt diameter. every arm i did research on uses 3/4 or bigger.

nothing agaiunbst you axe, i just dont want you to get in over your head if you sold this to someone and the pin/welds failed and a person got seriously injored or killed........ that could change your life for a very bad way. just something to think about.....

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uhm, yes. i am confident. and i wasnt asking about welding a bushing, but using one to line hole in the ==C part of the arms pivot so its not the steel of the ==C that the 1" grade 8 bolt pivots on. its not a big deal to make a bigger hole for the locking pin, boyd used the same size on his arms and never had any issues that i know of. as with all modifications, this is intended for off road use only and would be openly sold as such, with the buyer accepting all liability for misuse. now i know people will use it on daily drivers, thats why i will be putting it on my DD and making sure that its strong enough. as for just learning to weld, we all gotta start somewhere and i have been welding for long enough to know that this arm is solid. and i do appreciate your concern. i would rather explain to someone how to do it on their own, since the cost, even if i charged $200 is way more than just DIY would be. today i start a rear bumper. i wont be the first, but i want to copy the Avalanche's rear bumper corner with the inset step. i think ill get some steel for sliders too.

dustin i have bought them out of yards for $30, but i havent seen any in a while. i can look for you if you want. or maybe Zach if he is closer.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt find it that difficult. i had a good bevel & i could see how much of the arm i was melting with each rod, the puddle was deep and round & blended nicely. then i went over it on the edge working into the center of the arm. i will see about welding FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY into the sides. but mostly i will test & refine the design as needed. AXE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts