Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any confirm this is a 5.8 throttle body just by looking at it? I always thought the 5.0 had 2 ports for the vapor cannister (both on the driver side) and the 5.8 had one port on the passenger side. Is this correct? If so, my 91 with 5.0 may have the wrong throttle body installed.

Pipe Metal Automotive fuel system Engine Fuel line
Also the previous owner hooked up the egr vacuum hose to the throttle body, not sure what vacuum hose is currently plugged in to the throttle body.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dug through the manual and it says the 5.0 throttle body has 2 canister purge ports and the 5.8 has 1. Is there any disadvantage to running this TB on a 5.0? I haven't measured but it looks the same as a 5.0 TB.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i always thought they were the same, but my aftermarket 56 has 3 ports, one on the passanger side and two on the driver side.....i never knew what the two on the driver side were for except for nos...lol

i doubt it would matter as long as nothing is sucking in air where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,339 Posts
I believe the number of vacuum ports changed by year (brick nose vs aero nose?), not necessarily by engine. That's what I've seen in the yards, at least; can't swear I was looking at original items to those trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I can only relate to what I’ve seen, and those are from 93-96. My factory 96 5.0 has a 5.8 cast into it. It was an automatic truck. The 93 F250 I bought for the ZF5 was a 5.8 and its throttle body had a 5.0 cast into it.

I always assumed that trucks with manual transmissions had smaller holes in the throttle plates, because they idle with less load on the engine, versus a motor with an automatic and all that parasitic drag on it.

I reused the 5.8-cast TB (from the automatic 5.0) on my 5.8/manual swap, only because it looked better than the one from the 5.8 it originally had. I wasn’t able to check the hole size in the throttle plates to see if one is larger than the other.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what I found in the 1990 manual. Text White Line Font Black-and-white

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,339 Posts
I can only relate to what I’ve seen, and those are from 93-96. My factory 96 5.0 has a 5.8 cast into it. It was an automatic truck. The 93 F250 I bought for the ZF5 was a 5.8 and its throttle body had a 5.0 cast into it.

I always assumed that trucks with manual transmissions had smaller holes in the throttle plates, because they idle with less load on the engine, versus a motor with an automatic and all that parasitic drag on it.

I reused the 5.8-cast TB (from the automatic 5.0) on my 5.8/manual swap, only because it looked better than the one from the 5.8 it originally had. I wasn’t able to check the hole size in the throttle plates to see if one is larger than the other.
From what I've read, the M/T throttle bodies have a "B" stamped on the blades and no pin hole, whereas the A/T ones have the "A" stamped on them. That fits with the '80s TB's I've seen, but I haven't gotten my hands on a '92+ M/T one to verify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.