Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped the cover off of the 10 bolt in my 85 Blazer and was kinda dumbfounded as to what this is. The tires spin in opposite directions, there is 4 spider gears and a thing that looks like a flywheel in behind the gears (but in the carrier)

super close up, doubt it helps

And the reason im doing this, note the brake line

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy351 said:
Gov Lock?
would the tires spin opposite directions???

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
That is indeed a Gov-Loc

There has to be a differential in the speed of the wheels before the locker will engage. One wheel has to be spinning pretty good. It's...uh...exciting when it locks up. They have a tendency to explode, though, so don't be doing burnouts on pavement...

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats sick, didnt know that. I need to count up the teeth on the gears and find the ratio, They've either been replaced or when they installed the Gov they pulled the gears and re set them I dunno yet. Im gonna put the tranny in N and spin it and see if its stamped. Does a Gov lock need the LS fluid? I doubt it but figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
yes it needs the additive for it to function properly. it still has fiber clutch disks in it.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
84brownbronco said:
yes it needs the additive for it to function properly. it still has fiber clutch disks in it.
Cool then Im gonna get some of that crap:thumbup I thought I saw about 6-8 disks stacked at the non gear side, but those may be spacers

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I think the more accurate name for it is "gov-bomb"

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Yeah, you're spinning it up and then all he sudden BOOM! well..you were locked for a split second..

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
They work well in the dirt. The one in my 'Burb locks up nicely when I'm on dirt roads. I just never, ever push it on pavement.

I saw one come apart once...there were no pieces in the differential bigger than popcorn....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts