Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went on to replace my thermostat and upper radiator hose, and what ever hoses i could get to today. it was going smooth till i started the truck. started up and heard this god awful noise. shut truck off and looked fan cut tjhe new hose. well anyways went to the parts store for another hose, got it on cleared well started the truck going good right. wrong, when it started warming up the t stat housing was leaking. i thought i had the t stat right but i guess not. and guess what i get to do it all again tommorow yay!!!! oh well just wanted top rant. i have done the tstats so many times and this has never happened, i guess that is what i get for getting in a hurry when it is dark. oh well i will wake up and do it tommorow.

thanks for listening.

ken

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
It happens to all smallblock Ford owners

That GD set up is a real screw up in engineering in my book. I've sliced my T-stat housing bolts as short as I can and I use those stick-on T-stat gaskets to help stick the T-stat into the housing and keep it located on the gruesome install.

Nicked my upper hose, just like you when I put the Taurus electric fan on. As soon as I ditched the stock fan shroud there was nothing holding the hose away from the fan anymore and "zing" one wasted hose (at least it was old).

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sixlitre said:
It happens to all smallblock Ford owners

That GD set up is a real screw up in engineering in my book. I've sliced my T-stat housing bolts as short as I can and I use those stick-on T-stat gaskets to help stick the T-stat into the housing and keep it located on the gruesome install.

Nicked my upper hose, just like you when I put the Taurus electric fan on. As soon as I ditched the stock fan shroud there was nothing holding the hose away from the fan anymore and "zing" one wasted hose (at least it was old).

Sixlitre
Good to know i aint the only one that has done this. well hopefully tommorow will go better. all i have to do is take the housing off and reseat the tstat, and throw a new gasket(that i am making now) on there and call it a day. hopefully it wont take for ever tonight. i had damn coolant everywhere cause i said **** it i aint going to drain it. then the shit went everywhere. so when it was warming up not only was it leaking but it was smoking as well. oh well i will take care of it tommorow after a few crown and cokes, sex, and a good night sleep

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redwagon said:
cheer up...I got the leafs boxed up and will be shipping tomorrow in the a.m. for ya...

Thanks man that made my day....i dont know man sometimes I should just leave well enough alone, but i was farking around yesterday for about 4 hours in start and stop traffic and the temp didnt even reach 170, and i have a 180 in there so i need to do it.

ken

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
Thanks man that made my day....i dont know man sometimes I should just leave well enough alone, but i was farking around yesterday for about 4 hours in start and stop traffic and the temp didnt even reach 170, and i have a 180 in there so i need to do it.

ken

Well, cheer up dude. not gonna rag on ya for doing this in winter since you appear to be in florida. This is a summer job, where you can take your time.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
Good to know i aint the only one that has done this. well hopefully tommorow will go better. all i have to do is take the housing off and reseat the tstat, and throw a new gasket(that i am making now) on there and call it a day. hopefully it wont take for ever tonight. i had damn coolant everywhere cause i said **** it i aint going to drain it. then the shit went everywhere. so when it was warming up not only was it leaking but it was smoking as well. oh well i will take care of it tommorow after a few crown and cokes, sex, and a good night sleep
I was so disgusted I done left the truck alone fer two weeks befo' I fixed the T-stat gasket. I did drain the coolant into a jug until she was below the leak. With the money I probably saved I was able to purchase a 94 cent gasket !

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sixlitre said:
I was so disgusted I done left the truck alone fer two weeks befo' I fixed the T-stat gasket. I did drain the coolant into a jug until she was below the leak. With the money I probably saved I was able to purchase a 94 cent gasket !

Sixlitre

i understand where you are coming from man, as many damn times as i have told people to make sure that t stat doesnt get pinched in there, and i go and do it. Oh well three crowns in me and some other aformentioned stuff, i think i will just wake up with some coffee and go and get-r-done. i cant leave it for two weeks cause i got to get her going to get back and forth to work. oh well i will get it right tommorow.

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jayco said:
My 1990 Thermostat took me 3 days, working on it after work... good luck.

in reality it should have only taken me about an hour. But oh well i will get back at it after i wake up a little

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LNranger05 said:
You did clean all the old gasket material off the t-stat housing and intake right?? Die grinder with a whizzer wheel work wonders.

Brian

yeah i know what i did wrong. i just cant believe i did it. oh well Gods way of telling me to do it again.

ken

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LNranger05 said:
Hehe, I think we've all been there before.

Brian

just makes me feel like an idiot...well let me go get her done

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did this job last winter outside up here in MA and I remember very clearly what the news said the temp. was outside. 17 f-ing degrees and windy (much worse when windy). I had the thing all buttoned up, turned the key and looked underneath... green everywhere! I had to do it all over again. I decided to use silicone on the gasket and leave it inside to cure.

I actually used my heat gun (the kind that removes decals/stickers/paint) just to keep my fingers from freezing. I could see ice form on the backs of my fingers, I'd turn the heatgun on them and warm them up, go to it again etc., etc.

Anything above 50 degrees would've been 10 times as easy.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i got it done. i usually would use RTV but i went ahead and got the thermostat housing silicone sealant it seems to be holding up. truck warms up quicker than before and it leaks no more.

ken

·
Administrator
22,855 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
yeah i got it done. i usually would use RTV but i went ahead and got the thermostat housing silicone sealant it seems to be holding up. truck warms up quicker than before and it leaks no more.

ken
:rockon

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
Way to go !

IIRC last time I used a clamp and glued the T-stat into the housing, with silicone, before I stuck that peel and stick gasket on the next day and lathered the back with mo' silicone.

Glad she's holding green for you and you've got heat

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE

Sixlitre said:
Way to go !

IIRC last time I used a clamp and glued the T-stat into the housing, with silicone, before I stuck that peel and stick gasket on the next day and lathered the back with mo' silicone.

Glad she's holding green for you and you've got heat

Sixlitre

yeah i guess i got to get used to the difference in the guage now. i am so used to it running in the o on the guage it is driving me nuts when it goes up to the a. oh well truck warms up quicker and the heater heats quicker and that is what i wanted. as long as it doesnt over heat which i dont think it will i let it run for about an hour after i did it to check for leaks and see if it would over heat and i didnt and it didnt on the way to work either so i guess i am good to go now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:banghead Most of us probably ought buy a new T-stat housing anyhow; many are corroded beyond sealing; on the new hose or against the manifold.

Did the whole thing on a little BMW 325iC I have last summer. The PO didn't have a clue about BMW cooling systems, which on most '80's models have a bleeder screw to vent air out of the cooling system 'cause the header tank is slightly below the T-stat housing. So genius PO decides to remove said T-stat altogether thinking that'll mak'er run colder fer shure, but it ran hotter.:cry Then, since there was a leak from the heater valve (right above the drivers right foot, you see), the PO also bypasses the heater system altogether with a short length of galvanized pipe inserted into the heater hoses. Pure genius, and it ran hotter.:doh0715: So, I buy the car, at a reduced price, and invest in a new T-stat housing, T-stat, heater valve, and hoses for about $100.00, install same (and bleed the air out) and low and behold, it runs dead in the middle of the temp range, just like it says in the book.:thumbup

Moral, don't dick around with certain factory designs; and buy new parts sometimes, it pays.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts