Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change the front u-joint on the front axle last weekend. Its the one connecting the pinion to the driveshaft. Guy at O'reillys asked if it was a 400, and I said yes to make it simple (mine is a 351). Got it home, damn thing doesn't fit. So, after work today I went to return it at the store and the same guy was there. I told him "Didn't fit, man." He went and got the book out again and checked it again. Same part number (I think it was 270). Then I said "Is the size different for a 351?" and he said yes. He went and got the new part number (280) and I lined it up with my old one (I brought it with me this time), and it was the same. :banghead
What the hell is up with that? Why did ford think it was a good idea to have two different u-joints for different engine sizes? Its only like 1/8 of an inch or so smaller. Is there any other "surprises" I need to look for at the parts counter like this?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
the smaller is a 1310 series athe bigger is a 1330. I never heard a difference in engines, but I do know 1310 was 78 and 1330 was 79.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
:toothless

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Get used to that. I know from way too many first-hand experiences that the parts books are often very wrong when it comes to Ford drivelines in general, but particularly for Ford 4x4 trucks (not just Broncos). We build our own driveshafts so we don't have to deal with the u-joint side of that problem. But..if you do not believe how bad the problem is, try this little test: NP-205 T-cases can use many different yokes in bronc/F-150/F-250 trucks- and do - depending on whether they are connected to 1310 or 1330 joints and whether or no, in either case, it is a Cv joint. But there are only two T-case yoke seal options, large and small inner diameter. Try to get the right one by simply giving the counter guy your application to plug in his computer. Not happening. In many cases, only the wrong is listed at all..the right sized seal won't show up at all.

It may be all Ford's fault way back somewhere...but the aftermarket books..and the computer programs that are derived from those books..are hopeless.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
huh, chasing me around? :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
that would be advisable tonight. I got some bad mexician food for lunch. :uke:

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
bmc69 said:
Get used to that. I know from way too many first-hand experiences that the parts books are often very wrong when it comes to Ford drivelines in general, but particularly for Ford 4x4 trucks (not just Broncos). We build our own driveshafts so we don't have to deal with the u-joint side of that problem. But..if you do not believe how bad the problem is, try this little test: NP-205 T-cases can use many different yokes in bronc/F-150/F-250 trucks- and do - depending on whether they are connected to 1310 or 1330 joints and whether or no, in either case, it is a Cv joint. But there are only two T-case yoke seal options, large and small inner diameter. Try to get the right one by simply giving the counter guy your application to plug in his computer. Not happening. In many cases, only the wrong is listed at all..the right sized seal won't show up at all.

It may be all Ford's fault way back somewhere...but the aftermarket books..and the computer programs that are derived from those books..are hopeless.
Your absolutely correct about that also the seal retainer on 205 78 has 4 bolts 79 has 5 bolts if you want the right seal measure yoke OD and seal OD .:thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
78moneypit said:
Your absolutely correct about that also the seal retainer on 205 78 has 4 bolts 79 has 5 bolts if you want the right seal measure yoke OD and seal OD .:thumbup
I ended up taking the CR part numbers for both seals in to the local store and ordered about 6 of each..took care of that problem for a while, at least..:toothless

The problem with using seal dimensions is that most chain stores cannot deal with paper catalogs and the sections therein with dimensional cross-references..even though it is dirt-simple to do that for u-joints, bearings and seals.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
bmc69 said:
I ended up taking the CR part numbers for both seals in to the local store and ordered about 6 of each..took care of that problem for a while, at least..:toothless

The problem with using seal dimensions is that most chain stores cannot deal with paper catalogs and the sections therein with dimensional cross-references..even though it is dirt-simple to do that for u-joints, bearings and seals.
Your right big pain in the ass big chain auto parts if you have extra seals you can double them up fill in between seals with lots of grease they'll never leak that's what i do on mine lots of silicone on yoke washer and nut.:twotu:

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
78moneypit said:
Your right big pain in the ass big chain auto parts if you have extra seals you can double them up fill in between seals with lots of grease they'll never leak that's what i do on mine lots of silicone on yoke washer and nut.:twotu:

LOL..I double seal all mine too. What the hey..they put enough room for two.:thumbup I run straight 50W in all of the T-cases and trannies we build. Speedi-sleeves and doubling the T-case seals makes it work just fine.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
bmc69 said:
LOL..I double seal all mine too. What the hey..they put enough room for two.:thumbup I run straight 50W in all of the T-cases and trannies we build. Speedi-sleeves and doubling the T-case seals makes it work just fine.

50W?

I have been running 85w140.....

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
jopes said:
50W?

I have been running 85w140.....
Yeah..so? :toothless Nothing wrong with that, but if you can seal them up well enough to run 50W without bleeding it all over the place they are happier with that, especially in cold weather. The Dana 20 is supposed to use 50W per the factory recommendation. I know some folks run ATF in their T-cases and trannys too.the ZF 5-speed specifies ATF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts