Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading threads for a couple of hours now and still have questions. I know this is a Bronco site but I got nowhere on f150online, and my buddy(who does have a bronco) told me you guys are better about answering.

I have a '94 F350 351W. I have the motor out being rebuilt as I type. I had no plans of changing things, until I started tearing into it, and found a cracked exhaust manifold, the cheapest solution wound up being headers from summit. well they don't have the ports for the air pump. So I read several threads on removal of the pump and EGR, the reason I thought of removing the EGR would be to reroute the air pump into the EGR port, the reason for this would be to avoid having to find the elusive "shorter belt".

The Cat was removed by others, so will removing this pump have an effect on the O2 Sensor??

Now I'm thinking I should just get one of these delete pulleys and leave the EGR as is.?.?

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
777 Posts
Man, I show a new Left manifold with AIR holes over at www.rockauto.com for $112.00. Right Manifold is $119.

Not much different that the headers from summit.

I'd get the right part and not sweat pulling all that stuff.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it. But I already have the headers, and don't want to pay a restocking fee. will eliminating the air pump effect the O2 sensor?

Thnaks again

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
If I were you, I would not screw with the EGR since you have a computer and other sensors that will be getting and or giving wrong info to the computer and will cause more problems. Since you don't have the cat, just mount the pump and run the hose to wherever you want, doesn't really matter, doews it? Heck, maybe yuou could hook it up to your intake and get some kind of benefit, but then again you have other sensors that may cause problems.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
why not just weld it?

·
Registered
777 Posts
What you will find on this forum is a general trend towards keeping emissions equipment intact. I will recommend the same.

OTH. The AIR pump is designed to pump air into the exhaust stream to help the catalytic converter to do its job.

EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation intruduces a measured amount of exhaust into the intake to reduce combustion temperatures. Hot combustion temps increase the tendency to detonate.

The O2 sensor is designed to measure Air to fuel ratio as a function of Lambda or the amount of Oxygen in the exhaust stream.

without the AIR pump placing oxygen rich (IE fresh air) in the exhaust stream, the engine MIGHT run rich. hard to tell just how rich, but it could go rich enough to wash the cylinder walls and dilute the oil. Fresh engine rebuild + gasoline diluted oil = another engine rebuild.

OR it could go lean. lean burn = hot burn. hot burn = detonation. detonation + fresh engine rebuild = another engine rebuild.

But, I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a buddy or an online "expert" who will tell you exactly how to destroy your engine in new and wonderful ways.

Either way, you asked.

Cheers

Steve

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
The O2 sensor is mounted before the cat so I wouldn't worry about that, borflink.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yea, but he's got FI. that O2 sensor is probably the most important feedback item there is for the computer. Stop feeding fresh air before it with the AIR pump, and all sorts of things might happen.

I'm not too up on the EEC4 system, but the year of research I did before I built my own fuel injection system taught me a few things. There is a fuel curve in the computer, and the O2 sensor kind of tweaks the fuel curve. I'm not sure how far the computer will "learn", but why take the chance on a fresh engine to save $40?

Get the correct manifold. keep the EGR and AIR system. Keep the computer happy, and have a reliable truck. Hell, why not replace the cat and help the environment a bit too.

or not. not my ride.

Cheers

Steve

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Yea, but he's got FI. that O2 sensor is probably the most important feedback item there is for the computer. Stop feeding fresh air before it with the AIR pump, and all sorts of things might happen.

I'm not too up on the EEC4 system, but the year of research I did before I built my own fuel injection system taught me a few things. There is a fuel curve in the computer, and the O2 sensor kind of tweaks the fuel curve. I'm not sure how far the computer will "learn", but why take the chance on a fresh engine to save $40?

Get the correct manifold. keep the EGR and AIR system. Keep the computer happy, and have a reliable truck. Hell, why not replace the cat and help the environment a bit too.

or not. not my ride.

Cheers

Steve
I was thinking you were responding to my post. yeah, I agree with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts