Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I know some one posted this in this sub forum but no search:banghead

Anyways I just got my copy of Red Dead Redemption, turned on my 360 played for 5mins and it locked up. I said alright and waited 15 mins and tried again, this time I got the infamous 3 light RROD.

So I checked around and saw that the GPU overheated and saw a couple of fixes. Go to try them I noticed that the warranty sticker is missing from the front of the 360 so red flag 1 came up telling me that this machine was serviced by someone else out side of m$. I said alright and continued. Red flag 2, the screws holding x-clamps on are missing and I see that the x-clam fix has already been done. I also noticed that the heatsyncs were upgraded as well. So after seeing that I stopped since it is telling me that this machine is going to need to be reflowed.

But what I am trying to find is a reputable place that will fix it low cost since I know m$ won't touch it with the warranty sticker removed.

any suggestions?

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Alright I know some one posted this in this sub forum but no search:banghead

Anyways I just got my copy of Red Dead Redemption, turned on my 360 played for 5mins and it locked up. I said alright and waited 15 mins and tried again, this time I got the infamous 3 light RROD.

So I checked around and saw that the GPU overheated and saw a couple of fixes. Go to try them I noticed that the warranty sticker is missing from the front of the 360 so red flag 1 came up telling me that this machine was serviced by someone else out side of m$. I said alright and continued. Red flag 2, the screws holding x-clamps on are missing and I see that the x-clam fix has already been done. I also noticed that the heatsyncs were upgraded as well. So after seeing that I stopped since it is telling me that this machine is going to need to be reflowed.

But what I am trying to find is a reputable place that will fix it low cost since I know m$ won't touch it with the warranty sticker removed.

any suggestions?
Some of the systems were service by Microsoft may not have had the warrenty sticker put back on all you can do is call microsoft and check but I would guess that it may have been as it sounds like you have an older system or I will sell you mine I hardly play it. Oh there was an article about the servicing and now stickers reinstalled that was done by microsoft. I will have too look around a bit if I find it I will let you know.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Just check your local Craigslist. These 360's have been such pieces of sh*t that many homegrown businesses have cropped up all over the country.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked into a few shops around here. I was trying to find any larger companies that have a good rep outside of m$ for repairs. Since most of the places around here are as you said homegrown and honestly I don't trust the bulk of them that much.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Take it apart, clean off the cpu/gpu and heat syncs, put new "heat sync goo" on them and reattach heat syncs. also clean the heat syncs and make sure the fans are working.

then again what do i know, i don't even own an xbox.. but if it's an overheat issue that sounds like the way to fix it.
or get a ps3.. my ps3 has been playing it fine for the past couple days. heh heh.. that game is a bit addicting.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Just check your local Craigslist. These 360's have been such pieces of sh*t that many homegrown businesses have cropped up all over the country.
It's not even homegrown businesses. It's every day people who learned how to fix it charge 40 "ish" bucks to do it..

My buddy does it and hasn't had any complaints so far..

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Fixing it isn't worth the hassle or the cost IMO. If you can fix it yourself then it's up to you whether it is worth your time. Personally I'd just go buy a new arcade unit and just use your current hard drive. They use less power and create less heat anyway. Plus you'll have a warranty again.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am debating on doing that. But right now with needing a new tv, and now a new 360. I don't have the funds available that and if I end up paying for a new dog (first). Eh, I am not happy that it RROD on me but if replacement is the next thing I will have to wait and it sucks.

I am going to try and fix it my self, pop the case off and drop some heavier fans in it, or run with out the plastic case. The latter wont bother me if it works, I run my desktop with the case side off anyways due to, gasp heat issues. It seems to follow me with all my electronics tend to run on the hot side. TV, Laptop, Computer, A/V receiver, xbox 360, and more.

I think I got too many electronics since it raises the temp of my room by 5-10 degrees f.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh like everything else electronic, having the case apart seems to give it a longer life span. So as long as the case is apart I can continue using the xbox until I can get a new arcade later this year.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
send it in without the warranty sticker they might fix it. i sent on in that didnt have any stickers on it or heat sinks in it and they sent me a refurbed one. if you were closer i would reflow and fix it for you, look around it is easy to do. hell you can do a ghetto reflow with a heat gun, a griddle some flux and some patience. check out xbox360iso.com

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Eh like everything else electronic, having the case apart seems to give it a longer life span. So as long as the case is apart I can continue using the xbox until I can get a new arcade later this year.

cut a hole in the top, and get a PC case fan and install it in the top blowing in... cut a couple vent holes in the side for the air to move outward through.. if it runs better with the top off, it's definitely an overheating issue..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, it does run better with the case off. Been playing Red Dead Redemption and it hasn't given me an issue yet since I pulled the case off. Before it would freeze after 5 or so mins then upon restart give the 3 light RROD. Let it cool down and it would work again briefly.

I am going to look in to case mods that increase air flow and are conductive to better cooling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts