Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having some problems with my bronc stalling everynow and again at idle speeds in Drive (sitting at lights, etc) and 98% of the time I put it in Reverse, without heavy right foot..insta-stall. I know I have a xmsn fluid leak, and I"ve had it for nearly 3 years, put about 45000 miles on it, and I have never changed a xmsn filter (everything else..just not that.)

About 10K miles ago I did a tune up, rotor, plugs, button..everything I knew I needed to do. (oil changes every 3-5000 miles, give or take...)

Anyway, thanks to this site, I learned that stalling in R is a sure sign of a dropped xmsn filter (see...I know how to use the search!!)

Well, changed that xmsn filter today, messy messy.. smelled a little burnt, but wasn't discolored at all, which may be due to me constantly putting some in it.

The question is... I've put 5 quarts of xmsn fluid in it today and the dipstick satill isnt' reading any! I didnt' think the xmsn held that much fluid!. THe Haynes manual, which I hate, just saids to a pint, drive it, add a pint, etc etc. I'm not much of a mechanic..but i'm not a big fan of driving with way to little fluid. How much does this joker hold! I could'nt find it in the book, googled it and got everything from 2 quarts to 15quarts!!

I'm pretty sure I didn't take more than 2 or 3 quarts out of it when I took the pan off (read...dumped it all over the driveway..oops.)

Is it possible I"ve been driving around with little to no fluid in it? I would imagine that a xmsn with NO fluid wouldn't last more than 100 miles or so (which..i easily do in a few days..)

Sorry this has been a long post. I like to talk, and type.
R

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's a transmission. :)

I don't recall how much the trans pan holds since I moved to a deep sump years ago, But I thought the whole kabang held like 16 quarts. That includes the torque converter of course. Don't be out driving around if there is nothing on the dipstick. All you need to do is cycle the shifter through the gears. Once you see fluid on the bottom of the stick, then let it come up to temp and fill. Once warm and cycling through the gears, and full on the stick, THEN go to town.

--MIKE--

·
Registered
390 Posts
when you take the pan off and swap out the filter, you loose 4 quarts

also if it engages into D or R you have enough fluid to drive it but dont get me wrong fill it up to the proper amount for sure

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it filled, seems to be running great, thanks! Shifts smooth in all gears now, cost about 50 bucks for a transmission filter/6 quarts of tranny fluid. Could have been cheaper had I bought all the fluid at once from an autopart store instead of where I got 'em. Lots cheaper than paying someone else to do it! An estimate for that was 200-250 dollar!

Also, xmsn = transmission. Sorry, it's an abrivation we use alot at work (military).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts