Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im told the stock y pipe is difficult to modify to make it fit on a 351, i need to know where to pick up a y pipe or how to modify the 302 y pipe. thats the only thing left standing in my way of doing the swap.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Buy a bassani y pipe.

Unless you've got access to a welder and such, it's not exactly something you can just tap with a hammer to make it line up.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Meh, it's worth trying for less than $75 in parts if you've got the wherewithal to make one. :toothless.

The driver's side is 70° included angle, and 70° from vertical (done by rotation, not bending), extended a few inches, then 90° toward the rear. One 70° bend can be done by an exhaust shop with a tubing bender, for little cost. The passenger side should be easily fabricated with a single 90° bend. Oh, and female ball flanges, of course.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
DAMN YOU SCHOOL COMPUTER.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive got access to torches and welders...and many hammers, so if my options are try to modify or spend more $$ i think ill play with some of the toys around the shop to save some cash. thanks, and SigEpBlue, are those the measurments for the 351 y pipe?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Those angles are what I measured, yes. The lengths, of course, will have to be tailored per application. Some headers are a pain in the ass, others exit funny (Summit/PaceSetter), etc.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Well in that case... why don't you just buy some nice mandrel bent pipe pieces from summit or something, and weld up your own Y pipe? :shrug

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did it with a Bassani Y when I swapped in a 351. Was never thrilled with the results, and bought the 351 y from Bassani. They also use larger diameter tubing for the 351

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
getting the motor monday, my brother had an idea, were going to cut the pipe in half and weld in an extension in the center so the pipe is wide enough and will bolt right up. idk if itll work, but this is a strick budget swap, as in, im broke and i need an engine cuz i need a car. the gaskets im not about to chinse out on cuz i really dont feel like more work on this pig, atleast repeating work, once this is done, the tranny is getting a little attention and then its all body work from there, like poping out the dents from my hand after the motor blew up the second time. ill let yall know how it turns out, i have my doubts but i cant afford not to have hope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.