Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1988 Bronco. Will a Y-pipe from an 83 Bronco 302 fit on my truck. I want to avoid having to buy a Y-pipe with a cat on it. We have no inspection here and I use the Bronco mainly on my own place. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check with fordpartsonline.com or Summit etc. to check your application. Otherwise it's gonna be trial and error unless someone else has tried to make something like that fit. Obviously IF your '88 is a 302 also then your fittment to the manifold will be the same, just a matter of frame difference, transmission, etc.

·
Man of endless projects
9,493 Posts
i dont see any reason it shouldnt work. the 88 and 83 (if both are for 302) should fit the same. the exhaust for 87 to 95 is all the same. 96 has a special exhaust cause its got different placed o2 sensor and an added one also. years before 87 didnt have an O2 sensor but should fit the same. if you try the "application" on any site its gonna claim it wont work cause it wont have the O2 sensor bung. i would give it a try, all you gotta do is take it to get an O2 sensor bung welded on.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,607 Posts
Prior to '86 or '87 (IIRC) the y-pipe was sized to accommodate a mechanical "heat riser" flapper valve on the driver side ( IIRC) exhaust manifold. The earlier model version y-pipe may not fit on your '88.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
why waste the time with a stock y pipe? get the aftermarket one and if u cant find one without a cat. Either sell the cat and put a pipe in place of it or take it to a scrap yard and get 50-75 for the cat.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Prior to '86 or '87 (IIRC) the y-pipe was sized to accommodate a mechanical "heat riser" flapper valve on the driver side ( IIRC) exhaust manifold. The earlier model version y-pipe may not fit on your '88.
My 84 351w had the heat riser mentioned above, so my 86-and-later model bassani y-pipe wouldn't fit until I installed shorty headers that moved the exhaust manifold outlet to the post-86 location.

The 83 y-pipe will not fit your 88 unless you also change the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
Jegg's has a y pipe for the Bronco without the cat, but with an O2 bung.

Someone please buy one and post results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts