Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My boss came to me this morning (wheeling heep buddy too) asking if I wanted a Yamaha Bear Tracker 250. His dad has had it since new, its a 2002. He said that the ignition switch does not work but it can be either pull started or jump starter. It has been sitting for 3 years but still runs.

He is going to go over this weekend to get a better idea if anything else is wrong and if he can ride it. When stored nothing was wrong with it. he said i could have it for $100.

I know with the vague information here it's hard to go off but do you think? A good deal? $100 seems cheap even if it didnt run.

I only have 1 arce of land but it would be nice to have a little workhorse to haul a few things around. Also something the kids could have some fun with. Some neighborhood kids have 4wheelers they ride around. There are a few local places I could take it and maybe down on the beach as well.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
They have finally dropped to that price range; I would scoop it up. Hard to find a riding lawnmower sometimes for $400 neverless a 4wheeler that was more new. Yamaha always made good trail four wheelers. I'm not even sure you can find a generic china 4wheeler for $100; and those fall apart like crazy.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I'd be all over that even @ like 500 bucks it's clearly been well taken care of. I've been searching for one for a few weeks now so have a decent idea of the market it's probably worth 800-1500 to the right buyer in running condition.

·
Foolsize Member
1,556 Posts
A friend of mine had one recently that he got for next to nothing, it smoked like a freight train and we rode it until the engine locked up. Still a few hundred bucks worth of fun though:thumbup

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,093 Posts
Buy it sight unseen!
I had a 99 Kawasaki 300. For comparisons sake, it would do about 40 mph and would pull anything as long as it had traction.

Got a newer can-can 570 and I got it up to 60mph the other day in about 5 seconds. Way more power, and danger lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely throw the cash at them and run! At the very worst if the whole thing was trash mechanically you could make up the money (probably more) selling off the plastic and the guard... just don't give them a chance to have a second thought lol :thumbup

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,702 Posts
For $100? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. My boy always needs a new bike project/flip :thumbup: never pass up a cheap atv or dirt bike. They'll always pay u back one way or another, eventually...

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,210 Posts
My lil' lady has a Polaris 400 H.O. (basically, a 450) and we use it all the time on our property. Hauling around a small trailer for grass clippings, tree branches, or generally just moving mid-heavy stuff around. Hell... I've even stuffed the exhaust pipe into the ground and let it idle for a few hours to kill the ground squirrels and moles. :thumbup

The most important job it has though... has been for plowing snow. I use the beast for the driveway and larger areas like that but I save hours of time and my back from shoveling by using the quad plow to clear the walkways around the house and out to the wood-shed, access our winter firewood or to the pump house for easier access. One thing I really like about plowing with it is, the tires leave little knobby treads in the snow, so it's not just flat and slippery. Also... it doesn't toss rocks around, like a snowblower where I've had landscaping rocks hit the house windows when they got caught up in it. Even took it up into the woods for hunting seasons trips one year.

Bottom line and as said... you can't really go wrong for $100, even if it needs a little love. :thumbup

*edit pic add Was using mine today (9/17) and thought about ya.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,702 Posts
Don't do it!

That is a terrible deal and that is a terrible person for trying to snooker you like that.

Send me their address and contact info and I will personally go over there and tell them how bad they are being.
:histerica

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,093 Posts
Looks like it might be chain-drive too. Those are less temperamental than the CVT clutch system.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bear Tracker is shaft driven, not chain. Get that puppy for $100 and put a few buck in it. You'll have a great wheeler for yard work and some fun to boot. Can easily get your money back if you decide it's not your cup of tea. I'm sure that won't be the case though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't do it!

That is a terrible deal and that is a terrible person for trying to snooker you like that.

Send me their address and contact info and I will personally go over there and tell them how bad they are being.
On second thought CJREX has a point... if they aren't close enough then I'll volunteer to give them a talking to instead!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
My lil' lady has a Polaris 400 H.O. (basically, a 450) and we use it all the time on our property. . Hell... I've even stuffed the exhaust pipe into the ground and let it idle for a few hours to kill the ground squirrels and moles. :thumbup

/QUOTE]

that's funny shit right there
I have heard a 78 bronco works a bit faster wink wink !

·
Premium Member
35,210 Posts
Necessity and all that ya know. :toothless The ATV blows dirt of out nearby holes as it is. I'd never get a good seal with an FSB's V8 pumpin' the death chamber gas out. :histerica

·
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, everyone! I didn't know how hard it would be to get parts for this thing if need be or if anyone knew of common issues. Either way sounds like a deal to me.

Spoke with the boss this morning. He didn't have time to get over there this weekend but asked if I wanted to set up a day this week to follow him over there to take a look at it. Hopefully this week i will be picking it up running or not.

·
Premium Member
35,210 Posts
I wouldn't have any idea about Yamaha parts but it can't be any worse that finding parts for the Polaris.
I've had decent luck finding everything I've needed so far, after some time spent scouring the interwebs.

Got any yard mess to clean up after dorian?

·
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't have any idea about Yamaha parts but it can't be any worse that finding parts for the Polaris.
I've had decent luck finding everything I've needed so far, after some time spent scouring the interwebs.

Got any yard mess to clean up after dorian?
It was the hardest hitting hurricane we have had in a few years. The good thing is I have cut down all the surrounding trees from the house. There is one tree in the back lot that split that will need hauling. Only lost power for 5 hours which was nice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts