Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a old truck thats not really a good tow rig but great at everything else. trouble is i don't really need an 8' bed. i don't even really need a 6' bed. but its slow in the dirt cause its long, short wheelbase trucks do have their advantages. its one of those "almost free" projects that would just make the truck so much more fun to drive. but the truck is all original and been in the family since i was 5. discuss.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It's your truck, do what you want.

Don't forget the shorten the fuel lines, driveshaft, emergency brake cables, exhaust, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. Is the tank extra long or is it a center tank, will anything hit it if you shorten the bed?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I know the truck has been in your family along time, but it's not a rare truck by any stretch. If the truck means that much put your effort into finding a shortbox ext cab. and save this one. Really, when your done it won't be the same truck anyway. Just not sure if the work is worth the outcome when considering the truck has sentimental value.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I know the truck has been in your family along time, but it's not a rare truck by any stretch. If the truck means that much put your effort into finding a shortbox ext cab. and save this one. Really, when your done it won't be the same truck anyway. Just not sure if the work is worth the outcome when considering the truck has sentimental value.
Swamp
Agree. It's got the sentimental value. Leave her as she is and if you really want another short truck find one that you won't have to worry about hacking up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would chop her up. Cheaper than buying another truck. It will still be the same truck thats been in your family, just performing better for your needs.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Chop it, would be a cool project, and your keeping in the family!

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Your goona have to pull the tank, shorten drive shaft , move filler door modify the bed/cab for the up swing on the frame rails. Personal I would bring this to the GMT400 forum. I know I may get banned for posting a GM forum on here but it is to help this guy out.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That's what I want to do with my F2shitty

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Don't forget the shorten the fuel lines, driveshaft, emergency brake cables, exhaust,
Its a good thing you mentioned that because I'm sure he would have forgotten to do it. Even after he would go to put the driveshaft back in and found out its 3 feet too long.

I'd do it. Who gives a **** about sentimental vaule with an 8' bed.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Chop it. It becomes a modified truck that suits your needs and still has all of the sentimental value.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Chop it..

That what I did to the 69 F250's 8' bed. Now I have a 5 1/2 foot bed.. Woot!

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jeez guys, its not like a family idol or anything. i just have a lot of good memories of how well it works. but now times change and i think it might work better if it were shorter. its just the slippery slope principle, right now its a clean, un cut everything except the wiper switch works just fine truck. hard to tear into and cut up something that already does its job just fine. i'm afraid of what it would turn into, i don't need another project. i just need something that reliably drives around town, can go to the snow or sand, and can hold 7 or 8 sweaty gnarly mountain bikers at a time.

but it would be unique....

food for thought, a 40 gallon suburban tank would take the place of the spare tire very easily and keep me smog legal. e brake cables could be sourced from a reg cab long bed since thats the end wheelbase i'm shooting for.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
If you have the ability to shorten it go ahead. Always better to use a truck that you know works. That makes life easier. It would look cool shorted.

I don't see it holding 7 or 8 guys at one though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts