Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I go buy my first Bronco (1995 5.8 XLT) and I have so far done the 6liter tune up, fresh undercoating and have ordered some new window seals. My next step is to replace all the suspension (shocks, springs, leafs) and I have talked a few shops and they have all told me that the leveling springs (1 ½” to 2”) are hard to align and get the camber right on and that I should do the 4” lift as it will align and the camber will check.

This car is will be my daily driver and I do plan on doing some off roading but nothing to hard core. I would like to run 33” tires and I am willing to space the bumper or trim the front bumper but I do not want to trim the body panels.

So here is my question does anyone have the 1 ½” to 2” coil springs and how are they working, camber and alignment? Or is it the opinion of the forum members that the 4” kit is by far and away the superior way to go?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It really depends on your ride height, radius arm bushing wear, wheel backspacing, actual tire diameter.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
if you install a 2 inch kit i would suggest putting new radius arm bushings on. it will align perfectly fine assuminyou don't alraedy have something like 2.5-2.75 degree camber bushing in there now. most all stock suspensions have between a 0 and 1.5 degree bushing so you shouldn't have an issue. 33's will fit but you may have some rubbing on the radius arm in sharp turns and perhaps the fender/bumper under flex. a 4 inch kit is fine with 33's though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have 2" spacers. I run 33's on 8" rims with 3.75 backspace. I had to very slightly trim the bumper. I have no rub in front and a slight bit on the inner wheel house at full stuff in the rear. I run a 2" lift spring made locally and 2" bump stop extensions in the rear. My alignment is in spec for what is considered "tire wear" ie camber and toe. Camber required the use of 2.75 degree shims on one side and 2.5 on the other. This is at ore near max as there is no further camber available by shiming. I was at a bad caster angle due to no radius arm bracket drop. This made the truck wander slightly on the highway. I used an offset radius arm bushing made by moog to drop the radius arm at the bracket, and gained just over a degree of caster. This helped alot with handeling. IMO the spacer lift fits MY needs fine. I can still run heavy tire chains if I want to and have none of the problems some people have with lift brackets caused from extra leverage forces etc... It looks ok and rides like stock. I run rancho 9000 shocks on all six positions with the rears set on med position and both fronts on max soft. I use no sway bars. I will be running a 285/75 16 tire next time (33x11.50-16) using a 16x8 wheel with 4" backspace. I dont anticipate any fit problems with that combo.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok here is the story straight .... lifting 2" requires camber/caster bushings that dont come with the kit that rotate to allow up to 2.75 deg camber change, so bring that into your price ... this will level your truck and you can run 33's.
The 4" lift comes with drop brackets so that your camber/caster does not need to change so the price of the lift is the price you pay (plus alignment) and typically you can run 35's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2.5 Rough Country Lift

A couple of years ago I did a 2.5 lift on my 95' EB and I stayed with 265/75r-15 wheels and tires. For the most part I am happy with it. After I installed everything I took it in to a tire shop and told them what I did and they aligned it accordingly. When it was all done the Bronco really didn't looked jacked up at all. Then again I'm kind of glad I didn't do the 4" lift.

I am good with the Rough Country hardware however not impressed with the shocks. I think this summer I will go back to Ranchos.

Good luck, -Dikthod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts