Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to narrow down, on the exact problem.
84 Bronco, intermitant.

Wipers don't work intermitant.

Work on high twice then stop, sometimes banging on the dash helps but they stop again.

Swapped motor, and switch for a working one,

There is an interval switch under the dash right?

Can unplug the interval switch and plug the wiper switch in?

The motor is getting power from two wires, but I don't know what they really do.

I wanted to just hardwire the motor to a toggle switch, on and off only, can i do this?

·
Banned
35,004 Posts
The interval switch won't connect to the wiper wiring - you have to have the interval governor between them.

The NON-interval switch connects directly to the wiper wiring, so you could delete the interval system for diagnosis if you have a non-int. switch.

Yes, you could wire it to a toggle, but it would be more expensive & more hassle than just fixing it.

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I can take an actual non-interval switch ( the doohicke the knob actually goes on) and plug it directly into the harness.

If I want to keep the intermitant wipers I need to keep a working governor between the harness and the interval type switch.

Right?

Where can I get a new governor? Do i have to got to FORD, or a junkyard?

I tried to find one on parts america.

I have a wirring harness from a 91, it is with all of my EFI stuff.

will the 91 switch swap over to my 84?

Thanks

Joe

·
Banned
35,004 Posts
'7?-91 wiper systems are identical; the only catch is that you MUST have an interval governor if you're using an interval switch.

Junkyard parts are fine - I have several that are tested & working. I doubt Ford still offers them, but call.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'll bet you have a short just under the dash where the wires are bundled. Mine did the same thing...swapped motor, banged dash, then saw a small spark one day where it rubbed through the insulation. A little electrical tape on the wires and I am good again until I can get to actually fixing it.

brad

·
Banned
35,004 Posts
Too many possibilities - you gotta do some diagnosis. Use the Haynes diagrams to check for power & ground to the motor, governor, & switch. Then check each wire between each component.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This should help. Sounds like the interval timer unit is bad.

:thumbup

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts