Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· negative creep
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided to take advantage of fireguy50s 200 amp 3g special and get in on the deal. i also bought his wiring harness, 2ga charging cable and mega fuse for the install.

first step, disconnect the battery. step 2, disconnect the charging wire and unplug the smaller green wire that turns on the alternator from the starter solenoid. my connectors are a little dirty and hard to tell the colors on, but if you follow the wires from the alt you will figure out which ones are which.

take off the serpentine belt and unbolt the alternator. it should come right out now.

you will have to grind a small area of the bracket for the new 3g to fit, luckily its aluminum and very easy to grind down.

only a small amount needs to come off

connect the charge cable to the post on the back of the alt

to connect fireguys harness i had to cut the green wire out of the original 2g harness and put a weather pack connector (supplied with the kit) to join the factory wire and the new harness.

the alt should bolt up, but you will need a 3/8" x 2" bolt and nut to complete the bolt up process. run the 2ga cable first to the supplied mega fuse block and then to the starter solenoid; plug the green wire into the factory plug and then to fireguys harness. tighten everything up, put the belt back on and reconnect the battery.

puts out a lot more juice now, most noticeably at idle where just turning on the fan would drop it down to 10-11 volts before. hardly moves now.

· Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
BlueBronco said:
I heard that! Does it help with the poor headlight performance, especially on low beams?
:drinkbud
You heard right !!!!!!!!!!! It sho nuff does ! So does installing 12 gauge wires to the headlight pigtail plugs and relays for direct feed off the stud.

Andy

that's lookin' sweet ! Wonder what she cranks just at idle !?

Did you get the Sylvania Silver Stars ? or the Cool Blues or the ExtraVisions ?

Sixlitre

· Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
Andy351 said:
i think they were cool blues
I'm dying to talk to someone who has tried the Silver Stars. I have ExtraVisions and with these 12 gauge headlight pigtails fed off the alternator stud, through relays and fused, they are BRIGHT;

Before the 3G conversion and rewiring the best I could muster, at the headlight pigtail, was just over 11 volts. Now 14.75 volts are delivered right to the pigtail socket. I used a third relay to keep the lows on when the highs are activated and that helps out even more.

Sylvania and the ricers around here and singing the praises of the new Silver Stars, but at $32 CDN a headlight I'll wait for one of my ExtraVisions to burn out first. As it is I can practically already see into the next county.

Sixlitre

· Premium Member
7,360 Posts
Sixlitre, Do you have a general wiring diagram for your headlight set up? I looked for on your StuperFord site but could't seem to find. I don't speak Cananadian very well. :drinkbud :drinkbud :drinkbud

· Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
BlueBronco said:
Sixlitre, Do you have a general wiring diagram for your headlight set up? I looked for on your StuperFord site but could't seem to find. I don't speak Cananadian very well. :drinkbud :drinkbud :drinkbud
BlueBronco

I'd have been takin' credit where it wasn't due. I just copied the relay thing of several of the many people's sites that have already done it.

The only things I did differently was to use a 3rd relay that's actuated by the high beams and it re activates the lows when the highs go on.

The other thing was to buy some cheap headlight pigtail plugs and gently pop out the brass (hopefully) prongs with a pick tool. Once they were out I snipped off the puny 18 gauge wires. Then I soldered 12 gauge wires directly to the prongs and slid them back into the plastic plug, where their tangs snapped them in place.

To keep all my work corrosion free I siliconed the backside holes of the plugs (maybe the pic shows that) and loaded the fronts up with dielectric grease.

My stock 86 plugs hang where they always did with two male spade terminals plugged into one of them and that actuates the relays.

Anything ever goes wrong I can just pull those super HD plugs off the headlights and plug the stockers back on bypassing the relay and direct feed system entirely.

It's never had to happen as they work great. I'll try for some photos in the near future and maybe re-draw the schematic I used and scan it to the SuperFord page (though I don't deserve the credit).

Sixlitre

p.s./
Think you're confused with Canadian now, wait a few decades, we'll be a French speaking country at this rate, without a shot fired.

· Premium Member
7,360 Posts
Thanks Sixlitre and Andy.

Sixlitre said:
BlueBronco
p.s./
Think you're confused with Canadian now, wait a few decades, we'll be a French speaking country at this rate, without a shot fired.
I just through the extra "na" in there for effect! It may have been the Guiness.
:drinkbud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.