Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive used the search button and read for days about the rear window problem. I have a 1993 that i just got and the window worked only once and is in the down position. After all the reading i removed the access panel and tried to jump the window motor with another battery, nothing happened. This thing is as far down as it will go and the nuts that hold the window to the regulator are being covered by the torsion rod on the drivers side. I can just get to the ones on the pass side but it does me no good if i cant get the other side unbolted. Please help.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
Did you use both a positive and negative jumper at the same time?

The motor's not grounded, it's a "two wire system".

One polarity makes the motor turn one way and the other polarity
makes the motor turn the other way.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i used a neg jumper and tried switching between the 2 for up and down. I just dont wanna have to break it.

·
2,858 Posts
Yes i used a neg jumper and tried switching between the 2 for up and down.
I just dont wanna have to break it.
Hmmm...
Mine was jammed with broken plugs and didn't have to break anything...
http://www.dormanproducts.com/images/Product/icon/74410-007.jpg
...the motor made crunchy noises, then would jam-up right quick. LOL :)

The window regulator was riveted together at the factory and those had
to be drilled out. Is that what you can't get to?

I'm fixin to tear into mine again to Dynamat/Peel&Seal the inside of the
tailgate and replace the weatherstripping.

What's the resistance of the motor itself?
Is it wide open?

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try tapping or knocking on the motor softly and if that does nothing, try doing it harder and harder until it works. If you are not getting it to go up or down, one of the brushes is stuck in the motor and needs to be knocked loose to make contact. Trust me on this, my 95 Z28 window does this ALL the time and a simple hit to the end where the wires plug into the motor does the trick...Until you can tear it apart and clean or replace it. BTW use your fist first then use a hammer next but dont go crazy and break anything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Look into rebuilding yours before you buy(waste) 50 bucks on a new motor. Take the end cap apart and clean the brushes. This will get you a few more months or a year outta your old motor. Hey if you're like me and have limited money(student), then this is the way to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with that.

I'm not made out of money, but it's worth $60 bucks to me to not have to tear back into the door or tailgate in a year!

·
2,858 Posts
x2 on the "take it apart and see what's wrong first" approach. :)
It's the perfect situation, it's already broke you ain't got nothing
to lose and everything to gain. See how it works if nothing else.

I'm retired and got plenty of money but there's something about
fixing it myself that I like -a lot-.

Please know this...
A retarded child can lay a credit card or cash on a counter. ;)

Retired dumb railroader in AZ
Retired, retarded ...what's the difference? :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had mine go out last year,and it was making a grinding sound when you push the down/up button or a popping sound,all i had to do was take the motor out and when you take it apart there is a plastic piece that fits into the triangle gear, all you have to do is make a piece out of wood, metal depending on the tools you have and replicate the size and shape of the plastic gear so it sits in the gear snug with the hole in the center, takes about an hour or so if you have a compressor and cutting wheel to make it out of wood, something to do on a saturday and you don't have the money for a new motor,(i would prefer to buy the new motor, or go to a pick-and-pull and get one out a junker, but this is just a very very cheap method)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey nothin wrong with Jerry Rigging something. Its a window, not a "safety" item. So who cares if we rig it for the itme being lol. I have saved 100's fixing window motors and not just throwing down $ for a new one. I love making parts that save me $. It's a sense of accomplishment for me!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts