Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my bronco with a 302. It's a bit of a project so I haven't been driving it much. It has a ticking that I thought was from top end of motor but I was underneath today and it sounds more pronounced from undermeTh the vehicle.

It's not an obnoxiously loud tapping but it's'so prevalent. It's most apparent at idle. If I rev the motor in idle, as its winding down it sounds like a rattle. Sometimes when it's idling, strangely it sounds like it stops almost like with a switch. But then it kind of slowly comes back again.

I'm trying to assess if it's not an internal engine noise. IM figuring it must be though. I don't see any movement at the motor mount that makes me think it's that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had something like that and never did figure it out. After a while it began sounding a little like a diesel engine. Thought it was the stater at first but that didn't solve it. Find You Tube videos of people with similar sounds (on different makes and models) and they said it was the fly wheel.

Had the transmission rebuilt last year and asked them to look at the fly wheel. Mechanic said it looked fine and it still made the same noise after I got it back. Getting a new engine put in now (not because of the noise) and if it fixes the problem I let you know. :)

BTW I used a hose to listen to the engine and it was defiantly coming from around the bell housing area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts