Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know but I figure the more the better.

If a mod wants to move this to the tech threads please feel free.

I'm pretty much copying Shadofax's install. I hope you don't mind Shado but I liked being able to keep the stock bumper for now.

Started working on the winch install today. I went to Thompson Steel and found a piece of C Channel structural steel.

43" x 7" x 3/8"

I had to cut it done to 40". I was a little skeptical if the sawsall would do the job but I went to Lowes and brought some cutoff wheels and blades.

Done the job just fine!

I had to do some trimming on this section of the front. Don't know what it's call but you'll see where I had to cut.

You can see at the edges of the pic where I started and finished. There was a tab that hung down that didn't mount to anything and that tab and bottom lip wouldn't let the winch plate mate up to the frame. So I did some trimming.

Looking from the floor up.

The plate pretty much where it's going to be.

You can see here the accordian part on let the plate mate up even.
I can't decide if I want to find a piece of 1" stock to fill the gap or cut a section out of the plate so it will be flush against the bottom of the frame.

I am sort of copying this from a guy on fullsizebronco.com. He cut a section out of his so the accordian part won't be in the way. I'm sure I won't have to worry about the 3/8" plate not handling the job if I cut the section out.

I'm probably going to go with a synthetic rope so I don't have to cut a huge hole in the bumper for the fairlead.

More pics as I progress along.

·
Cleaning the trails
930 Posts
I also used the C channel mount that Shdow used. Here is how I leveled out the accordian. A piece of 4" square stock cut in half was the only metal I could find that would fit the width. I had to modify the original bumper brackets to get the piece to fit. Since I had the winch and controller in the bumper, I had to weld new brackets on the horns and move the vertical ones on the bumper.
I do not have pics of that yet.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the winch I have. I trade the Ramsey 12000 I had to Steve83's XD9000i winch. The ramsey wasn't going to go in without some major modifications or even a custom bumper.

This one will tuck up in there nicely.

Tony R - The only modification I'm gonna need to do to the bumper is I had to cut the bracket that holds the two bolts on so the bumper can be attached. The plate runs too far back. So what I'm gonna do is make an "L" bracket and I'll mount it to the bottom of the plate and then to the bottom mounting point on the bumper. I'll get pics of what I'm talking about later.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little progress report.

I've got the plate where I want it. Found some angle and made some brackets, so all I've got to do now is drill the holes to mount everything up.

I ground the corners down so it would let the bumper be closer to the plate at the center but it's still got a cap between the bumper and fairlead mounting section.

This one shows how I sectioned the back corner of the plate so it would mount flush with the frame. This is how Shadofax did his, besides it moved the winch plate up about an inch for more clearance.

This is where two brackets will be installed on both sides of the winch plat. Plus I'll drill two holes on the inside of the frame rail to put two more bolts. So each side will have about 10 bolts. I don't think it will be going anywhere.

I'm using 3/8" X 1 1/2 & 1 1/4" grade 5 bolts.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's about 95% done. All that needs to be done is sandblasted and painted. I may wait until I start on the SAS and have everything out from underneath to paint it.

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

I needed to bring the hawse out about 1/2". I found two thick washer that brought it out exactly a 1/2". I'll probably find a piece of stock and have it welded on.

Cutting the opening for the hawse.

Got some rubber trim at Orielly's.

Winch and bumper bolted in.

Looking from the ground up.

So any suggestions or improvements anyone has feel free to lemme know.

Also thanks Shadofax....I got the idea from your build.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
awesome-ness

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
wow, that is a super clean winch install. I want to do the same on my truck when i eventually get it running.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
is there anything you would of done different??? i am getting ready to do mine, but not running the stock bumper. i may do a pre runner style later down the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts