Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO I am swapping a 347 Stroker mated to a NP435 Dana 21 in my 93 bronco i am converting the Bell housing to accommodate a Hydro Clutch set up and i was wondering does any one foresee any Problems using any Run of the Mill long tube headers? I have heard Rumors of problems using long tubes and a Manual Transmission ? Any one know anything about this? Thanks

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
I have heard this also but have not seen it first hand.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I dont see why you could.... may have to relocate some of the tubing but i dont think it would be hitting anything

btw, your finally getting it in??

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I can only assume you mean by using an external slave cyl. I ran with fox body long tubes on my 351 and did not have a problem. They were just cheappy Headmans and worked well for what they were.

SWS

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard this also but have not seen it first hand.
Same! Thats why i am just trying to get some info

I dont see why you could.... may have to relocate some of the tubing but i dont think it would be hitting anything

btw, your finally getting it in??
Yeah i mean thats what i was thinking but i just wanted to tap the information just in case! Yeah man i brought it up to school today so the project has really picked up steam i am going to post a few pictures tonight on the build thread looking to get it in very soon! :rockon Btw how it tech school treating you with the threads i have come across lately your knowledge sure has seemed to have increased!

I can only assume you mean by using an external slave cyl. I ran with fox body long tubes on my 351 and did not have a problem. They were just cheappy Headmans and worked well for what they were.

SWS
Yeah thats what i was looking at just some cheapo headmans long tubes and yes its a NP 435 tranny

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have no actual experience with this either but it would seem to me that besides the external slave that the body of the the np 435 would actually be slightly smaller than an auto trans. let us know what you figure out as i am planning a 435 swap as well seeing as i cant find a zf around here

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Yeah i mean thats what i was thinking but i just wanted to tap the information just in case! Yeah man i brought it up to school today so the project has really picked up steam i am going to post a few pictures tonight on the build thread looking to get it in very soon! :rockon Btw how it tech school treating you with the threads i have come across lately your knowledge sure has seemed to have increased!
Sick, ill keep my eyes posted for your thread pics, and yeah, definitely best school decision i ever made, not a day goes by that i dont wake up excited for school now :toothless

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am no longer going to use mine if you need some. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Now, mind you mine WAS an inch wider, but the clearance you would need would be rear header pipe to the slave. The rest of the combo was GT 40 heads that I spent several hours on. Eddy intake and carb, tiny cam (like .480 lift) with probe flat tops, eagle H beams, and was balanced to 80%. The exhaust was a pacesetter summit 3" Y pipe that I made to slip fit. 3" flowmaster and tail pips. Ran like a raped ape.

SWS

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no actual experience with this either but it would seem to me that besides the external slave that the body of the the np 435 would actually be slightly smaller than an auto trans. let us know what you figure out as i am planning a 435 swap as well seeing as i cant find a zf around here
Yeah man that's what i am thinking i am just of course worried about the slave to i am however swapping the bell housing from cable to hydro. I will let you know i have a thread in general called 347 speed build i will keep the information i find in there for you to see. I couldn't find a ZF either that's why i went with this swap

Sick, ill keep my eyes posted for your thread pics, and yeah, definitely best school decision i ever made, not a day goes by that i dont wake up excited for school now :toothless
Really glad to here that man you seem to be doing very well keep it up!

I am no longer going to use mine if you need some. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Now, mind you mine WAS an inch wider, but the clearance you would need would be rear header pipe to the slave. The rest of the combo was GT 40 heads that I spent several hours on. Eddy intake and carb, tiny cam (like .480 lift) with probe flat tops, eagle H beams, and was balanced to 80%. The exhaust was a pacesetter summit 3" Y pipe that I made to slip fit. 3" flowmaster and tail pips. Ran like a raped ape.

SWS
Yeah man don't you mean the headers are a inch wider because its a 351? where you using a T5 tranny?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah...351 is about an inch wider there and there was plenty of room. And I too was using the 435 with the external slave. If you have any questions about it or need pix of anything, let me know. Same clutch setup as I am running with the diesel.

So, if you are interested in the headers, lemme know.

SWS

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...351 is about an inch wider there and there was plenty of room. And I too was using the 435 with the external slave. If you have any questions about it or need pix of anything, let me know. Same clutch setup as I am running with the diesel.

So, if you are interested in the headers, lemme know.

SWS
Thanks a lot for the information man it really helps yes i will PM you if i decide to get that brand seeing what i can dig up at work first! :beer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure how relevant this will be but I have long tube headers in my 85, direct bolt in fit from Summit (supposedly) and they touch my frame rail on the passenger side, enough that with some motor mount flex, one tube ended up with a mild partial crush. I'm planning on just notching a quarter inch out of the frame rail there to make more room. I can get a few pics of it if you want - but again, may not be relevant info to your case.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure how relevant this will be but I have long tube headers in my 85, direct bolt in fit from Summit (supposedly) and they touch my frame rail on the passenger side, enough that with some motor mount flex, one tube ended up with a mild partial crush. I'm planning on just notching a quarter inch out of the frame rail there to make more room. I can get a few pics of it if you want - but again, may not be relevant info to your case.
No man thanks for your Input what engine and tranny do you have in your bronco?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No man thanks for your Input what engine and tranny do you have in your bronco?
351 Windsor, C6 trans. Probably not a very useful comparison - but it's the shape of the headers that puts them against the frame not clearance issues with the tranny etc. It was a bastard fitting the exhaust to the collectors in that location too - not a lot of room to work with and unless you have a lift, there are lots of corners to take unless you go single.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
351 Windsor, C6 trans. Probably not a very useful comparison - but it's the shape of the headers that puts them against the frame not clearance issues with the tranny etc. It was a bastard fitting the exhaust to the collectors in that location too - not a lot of room to work with and unless you have a lift, there are lots of corners to take unless you go single.
dude that kinda sucks thanks for the heads up!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
if i recall someone looked into shorties and found that BBK shorties had the largest collectors. might be an option to get the best flow and not run into fitment issues.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
My opinion

Shorties are the way to go on these trucks.

Longtubes are just too much of a pain for the slight benefit they have over Shorties. Besides, the bends and turns you have to make to clear the crossmember and transfercase negate any gains the longtubes give you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My opinion

Shorties are the way to go on these trucks.

Longtubes are just too much of a pain for the slight benefit they have over Shorties. Besides, the bends and turns you have to make to clear the crossmember and transfercase negate any gains the longtubes give you.
I absolutely agree. I feel like a bit of a hero now that my long tubes are in there but I wouldn't do it again - shorties are a WAY better option. Especially if you're planning to mud or off-road as you'll have way less garbage hanging up in your collectors at the end of the day.

I should point out - if you have a decent body lift, you don't have to go around the transfer case, you can run a single pipe up over the transfer case and right out the back (drivers side), the passenger side is pretty much a straight shot anyway. So it CAN be done with fewer turns and more benefit flow wise than the shorties - but it wouldn't be much, just go with a 3" pipe instead of a 2.5" pipe - problem solved!

That being said - if you want some pics to see how we did it - I'd be happy to take them and post 'em up.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Woa woa woa...Don't hammer me too hard on this but you guys are just a bit off base on some of this. Here is why. he will be running a 435 which is a short tranny that has an extension housing that goes to the t-case. That housing makes a perfect tunnel for the 3" Y-pipe I suggested. I know because that was what I used on mine and it worked really well. I had no fitment issues, and pulled/installed the pass side header when I kinda sorta burned a hole in it (batt cable and heat make a mess when they get together and short) with absolutely no problems. I also pulled the driver's side header initially when I picked up a set of shorties for a mustang. This was prior to the Y-Pipe install and I had a fox H-pipe I was going to use if the shorties would have cleared the slave cyl. which they did not (but remember they were for a mustang). There is nothing wrong with long tubes and I would like to do them to my diesel next. I just can't afford it yet for the cost to need ratio.

SWS

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a good point - your example is better than mine. Did you not have trouble with the header hitting the frame rail on the passenger side? Mine didn't hit during install but it hits when I'm wheeling and the truck twists a bit. Long tubes like to collect mud, grass, twigs and other junk on the collectors too because they are down low - I've heard of this leading to them getting rusty and nasty pretty quick. Besides, like was pointed out, I don't see any huge advantage to running the long tubes over the shorties - they will both increase flow and unless you're going for really big HP, they will probably exceed the flow capabilities of your heads/intake set-up anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts