Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so check it out, i drive 2 hrs to pick up this truck...drive it home and the tranny blows out...c6. currently in the shop getting a quote for rebuild. i was tols the bronco has 12" lift, pic are included can you identify some of the suspension work done and does it look ok? the engine runs great and i like the truck, i guess the ol c6 finallly had its day. also what else what you guys do to improve it for a trail rig/play toy/grocery getter if needed.
thankz!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
we need many more pics of the front end. looks a little scary to be honest with you. hope you didnt pay much.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
And the back. Judging by how straight the rear leaf spring is it probably has a 12" block in it.

I moved this thread to, it isn't tech related.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we need many more pics of the front end. looks a little scary to be honest with you. hope you didnt pay much.
ill have to take some more pics then i guess...didnt see much evidence of body lift blocks, looks like mostly suspension lift.
the front end is straight both tires are str8t. it drove 4.5 hrs. so i know it ok cept the tranny went out, have that fixed tomorrow or so
:smilie_slap
paid 800. plus tranny rebuid. prob be about 1800 in it

·
Registered
527 Posts
This boarders on the scary side:

Do you have any more pics of this front suspension? How about the drop brackets and radius arms?

My initial reaction was "12 inches of lift, huh? Kits are not available in that height." Then I saw this:

That piece of tubing under the coil spring. I also spy some square tubing and flat bar used to brace what appears to be a home made drop bracket.

In this pic we can also see that the pitman arm and drag link angle could use some help, and that bent tie rod end at the pitman end of the drag link was probably bent intentionally, due to this crazy angle.
Again, this is getting a little more and more scary as I look.

I do see a radius arm at the frame, and it appears to be connected to the top of this extension bracket for the bottom of the coil spring, and this bright red bar looks like it is used to hold the axle in place.
Is this correct? Does a piece or the entire radius arm hold this stack od suspension components and this lower link thing hold the axle?

You drove this how far and it did not fall apart?

I hate to be critical my friend, and I am not trying to be mean, but in my honest opinion, this thing is a mess. It is a rolling death trap, and you lend yourself to a real liability problem by driving it this way.

Buyer beware, is something I understand, but someone should be shot for building this, and for selling it to you.
This is a major risk to yourself, and others that share the road with you.

More pics might take some of the guessing out of this, but as I see it, this is gonna take some real work to make right.

Again, mu intentions are not to be cruel, but one has to consider the potential hazard of this, if what I think I see, is really what I do see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a rolling deathtrap. ok well i guess im ridin to my death. that stinks. ill get some pics of the front end. it runs good on the road at 70 mph
no shakin, nice and smooth

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
a rolling deathtrap. ok well i guess im ridin to my death. that stinks. ill get some pics of the front end. it runs good on the road at 70 mph
no shakin, nice and smooth
Seriously, you need to consider the other people around you that are sharing the road. We are not here to hurt your feelings but set you straight on what looks to be a real hacked up lift if you call it that.

When I said blocks I was not talking about a body lift. I can tell by how straight the rear leaf is that there is a major block between the leaf and rear end.

Never ever in a million years would I do 70 MPH in this truck on any road. You are only asking for trouble.

i was tols the bronco has 12" lift, pic are included can you identify some of the suspension work done and does it look ok?
You asked wether or not it was OK so pay attention to what these guys tell you. It is in no way safe to be riding around in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive learned not to take things personally over the internet. after the c6 is rebuilt this truck will just be mostly a toy to mess with
i dont think it will ever hit 70 again
i bought it as a project, i like it, ill get it right. thankz guys
i did ask and did see a leak. but the truck was shifting fine till the next day..lulz.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
When you get the tranny done, take that lift down to stock for now....lol lol.....before you kill someone or yourself Brother.....:doh0715:

Looks gooooood otherwise.....:thumbup

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well if it made it 4 hrs with a semi blown c6 im sure it will get me down the street
thankz

so im guessing its a homeade suspension lift? or is some of it aftermarket? all done fabricated?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats on the buy brother but personally id take it down a couple inches just to help lower the chances of a rollover. definetly looks like a fun project though

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the buy brother but personally id take it down a couple inches just to help lower the chances of a rollover. definetly looks like a fun project though
holy crap. thankz bro, i didnt think of rollover being a huge factor, of course i took my turns slow, but now when i drive it ill be more aware. thankz. i dont know what im gonna do with it, tranny first. then ill update thrad with mods and pics.
so does anyone know? is this like a custom fabbed setup from like a hack 4 wheel drive shop? i mean some of it looks really nicely put together and seems strong, i mean its not a trailamster thats for sure
lulz

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Wow... That is pretty scary. I would solid axle swap immediatly. No shop would pass that under inspection. No bought lift here, probably built in the dirt by a guy with a mullet drinking alot of cheap beer.

Who in the world puts 8"s worth of square tubing under a spring pearch??? Please don't drive it until you fix it!

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
that is not a kit at all, is a half ass hack job "look at me in my big truck" lift.

Was the previous owner of that truck missing any teeth? Did he have any F bodies on blocks in his front or back yard?

any engine block lawn ornaments?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts