Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been pretty much established that VSS'ing a 60 is more or less plug and play.. Is the same true with a 70?? Are we looking at machining a 70 spool, carrier, ARB to accept the 70 toner?? How about a 14B?? The 14B and 70 are both fairly large cases correct?? Like, you better be runnun at least 38's large cases.. thoughts??

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Different ring gear sizes. You can put an 8.8 toner ring onto a 9" carrier because it's a miniscule difference in size and you have to machine the carrier anyways. the D60 is...9.75" ring gear? Something like that? 14B FF is like 10.5, right? Isn't the D70 is as big or bigger then the 14B, right? That's getting into more meat getting machined off of the carrier.

Is there actually a toner ring made specifically for the D70? Like from big van's of the day or something? If so, then its a matter of just measuring properly, measuring again, then drilling.

Measure twice, cut once.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
crackhead said:
It has been pretty much established that VSS'ing a 60 is more or less plug and play.. Is the same true with a 70?? Are we looking at machining a 70 spool, carrier, ARB to accept the 70 toner?? How about a 14B?? The 14B and 70 are both fairly large cases correct?? Like, you better be runnun at least 38's large cases.. thoughts??
here is a dodge site talking about this:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25302

Many Dodge trucks use the newer D70 with toner apparently. So Spicer must make a toner ring just like the D60 toner, which is about $8 from six states, or on-line you can search and most places are selling them for $13. That dodge forum was mentioning 10.5 ring gear and 120 tooth, so that sounds pretty identical to the sterling 10.25, might even be able to make that work. As far as machining, you may or may not need to. I'd bet if you picked up a spicer toner, and a Detroit that is newer and and already notched/set for a toner if needed, your in biz. Then it's just a matter of the drilling the housing up top. The flatter the better. Larston had some pics of his D70 once, don't remember which one he has, a D70 U or?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Larston runs a 70 in the rear.. Looks like they def run a toner 70 rear.. There are a ton of new Rams at work.. Ill look when i go in tonight.. How do I def know im looking at a 70 and not a 60?? The diff covers look the same right??

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
There should be a 70 cast into it on the lower righthand (if your facing the diff cover) corner of the differential.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
crackhead said:
Yeah, Larston runs a 70 in the rear.. Looks like they def run a toner 70 rear.. There are a ton of new Rams at work.. Ill look when i go in tonight.. How do I def know im looking at a 70 and not a 60?? The diff covers look the same right??
It's fawking massive. And these days, if you are looking under a 3/4 or 1 ton dodge, 3/4T heavy duty or diesel certainly, I would not think it will have a 60.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are we talkin 14B/10.25 massive?? Im only gonna run 35's or poss 37's... I think im gonna go with a 60.. Larston told me to hold out for a 70, but really didnt say why... Hes runnin 42's (I think) so clearance shouldnt be a problem for him..

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
crackhead said:
Are we talkin 14B/10.25 massive?? Im only gonna run 35's or poss 37's... I think im gonna go with a 60.. Larston told me to hold out for a 70, but really didnt say why... Hes runnin 42's (I think) so clearance shouldnt be a problem for him..
Of course dude, it's in the same beef isle...they are all massive when you see them drum brake and all. And then when you and 2 buddies go to lift one, it's confirmed.

Why I chose a 60. More than adequate for a 37" tire (really up to about 38's, my opinion), and matches nicely with a D44 8 lug front.

Larston is right about a 70. It's a nice axle, if you want to go with big meat. If not, why bother? The 70 has the 35 spline shafts and bigger ring/pinion. It would be my axle choice if I wanted to run, say 39's + .

You "could" make a 60 more like a 70...by boring the spindles slightly to accept 35 spline shafts, and then buying a 35spl. detroit or ARB, but geez, by then, well, go back to Larston's advice. I want to see if I can actually damage this D60 stock. I could also get aftermarket 30 spline shafts if I really needed. But here's the deal...I've seen two D60's, Kurt Hartsig ran one in his Wildhorses, with 38" swampers/locked, and never a broken shaft that I am aware of, and 78Bronco460 ran the axle I now have, and did manage to twist both inner splines, but did not break them (38's again with Detroit), and I can tell you from experience he wheels harder than I. With a Bigblock to boot. Jim is not shy with the skinny.

Unless you plan some krazy stuff, or 40's, a 60 will be fine.

And yes, I have seen several broken D60 shafts, but ya know, it's always tough to know the full story, k? Like Pirate, folks there will tell you a D60 rear sucks and is crap, and they broke umpteen axles or saw this, yada yada. But, who knows how they broke. One brake I remember was pics of KL wheeling with a guy with a 78 or so with D60 rear and 38", wide boggers....he broke a shaft, but in all the telling, IIRC, the axle was being run with very low gear oil....outer bearing heated up, seized, and snapped the axle. Does that mean the D60 sucks? (on that trip another rig with a D60 broke an axle as well though). I'd say you just have to mate it up to an application within it's limits (again I point to about 38x12.5 max).

The axle as a unit is a nice strong axle, lots of good traits, including fullfloat. That's why it's been used by manuf. in every imaginable 3/4T or 1T app. you can imagine, for over 35 years at least (and even semi-float HP mopar applications). Just too bad it doesn't also have 35 spline shafts stock, it would totally rock.

So with limiting a D60 to 38's, that also means it does put it in the arena that a Ford 9" can handle....again if you plan 37's max, and want to keep 5x5.5, there you go, ford 9". The D60 is stronger still, but you have to remember the 8 lug.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 9 is pretty much out for me.. I want to go to go FF, but need a toner.. I can pretty much gaurantee that ill never go bigger than 38's, cause you really start getting in to weight and cost issues in that range.. I flog my 8.8 pretty good, but am smart about it.. I think a 60 is the way to go for me.. A 60 out of the yard for $52.99 throw a spool in it and Im in buisness.. Last question.. Can 15in wheels fit over a 60 drum?? Im runnin all kinds of wheel and tire combos in my head and im just wonderin..

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
crackhead said:
The 9 is pretty much out for me.. I want to go to go FF, but need a toner.. I can pretty much gaurantee that ill never go bigger than 38's, cause you really start getting in to weight and cost issues in that range.. I flog my 8.8 pretty good, but am smart about it.. I think a 60 is the way to go for me.. A 60 out of the yard for $52.99 throw a spool in it and Im in buisness.. Last question.. Can 15in wheels fit over a 60 drum?? Im runnin all kinds of wheel and tire combos in my head and im just wonderin..
That's a good question, one I cannot answer definitively since I have always had discs with this axle.

I wonder if JRD has drums on his, and 15's, see what he says. Or, Crazed has a 60 with drums on one of his trucks, might be able to see if he has any 15" wheels laying around he could try to fit.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
crackhead said:
Have any 60 breakage yet?
nope, just as pleased as ever. toner makes my speedo steady as can be.

:thumbup

I since have found out that there are newer dodges out there (3/4T with 360 gas) that run the D60 rear and D60 front. They are lucky though (and I want to research this further as a possible swap vs. spindle boring)....the dodge spindle in that D60 is actually large enough ID to run a 35 spline shaft with no boring.:rockon

So dodge boys running these just go and get 35spline alloy shafts and they are in biz with whatever rear 35 spline aftermarket carrier they want to run. pretty nice setup. I'd like to get my hands on a dodge spindle so I can compare it to my spindles, see if a swap or what might be needed to mess with this. for now though I'm not too interested, just one of those curiosity things.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Shadofax said:
I wonder if JRD has drums on his, and 15's, see what he says. Or, Crazed has a 60 with drums on one of his trucks, might be able to see if he has any 15" wheels laying around he could try to fit.
My 15x10's w/4" backspacing fit my drums on my rear 60 just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts