Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking to the guys who run who have run Rancho 5000's and said they were on the stiff side. I just replaced my worn out shocks with four brand new 5000's and the ride is still soft. I was expecting a dramatic change from my old Heckethorns but there really wasn't a big change. I also changed the OEM shocks on my Ranger out with some Monroe Sensitracs and they are stiffer than the ranchos. I guess the Sensitracs are gas charged and the Rancho's aren't. There was not band on the shocks to keep them in place while in the package and I could pull the piston out by hand for them to reach the mounting hole. Am I missing something???? I'm a little dissapointed in the squishy ride.:rockon

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
I don't know why you want such a harsh ride, but the roughest shocks I've ever run are ProComp's ES3000's. I personally love the way the rancho's feel, maybe try the adjustable Rancho's and turn em all the way up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for a harsh ride but more of a firmer ride than my old shocks. I know the Ranchos are decent shocks for the money so I'll have to test them out a little more to get a good idea. I removed my sway bar a year ago and it enhanced the ride quite a bit. It also increased the body roll. I thought by installing a stiffer shock to help my springs out, it would control the body roll a little more. I also have big @ss steel bumpers front and rear that probably contribute to the body role.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
they will feel much stiffer on the ranger bc the truck is alot lighter than your heavy bronco...:popc1:

DC

EDIT : Does your bronco hve quad shocks up-front. If not the purchase of a quad shock coil bucket would let you run 2 additional shocks. Thus a stiffer ride.

An adjustable shock may be your only key. But that may not help you either...my truck bounces around all over the place w/ the crappy NAPA shocks that are on there...im thinking about removing one of my front 4 and going to ahving just 2 shocks upfront for a softer ride

maybe you just have a bentley version bronco:rofl:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sorry you don't like the 5000's. Do you have the quad shocks in the front? I've got the quad shocks, with 6 shocks mine is stiff. I wish you lived in Virginia Beach and you could go for a ride in mine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
mine is stiff as heck but i am running bilstiens not sure what series but they are great i have better handling and a stiffer ride. sometimes i wish it was a little softer though but i have learned to live with it

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lambo said:
mine is stiff as heck but i am running bilstiens not sure what series but they are great i have better handling and a stiffer ride. sometimes i wish it was a little softer though but i have learned to live with it
Bilstein will revalve your shocks for $60.00 per unit, per your request. It's a pretty good deal.

I'll be replacing my older Heckethorn units with Bilstein in the not too distant future, thinking about 5100's for my 6 inch lift.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually like the 5000's, I'm just a little bit suprised that they weren't as stiff as what I've read on 90% of the posts about them. Quick question, the 5000's are NOT gas filled, right? Is that why I could compress them with my hands?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used a set of those Airlift airbags inside the coils of my Ranger and it made a huge difference, no more soft ride, no more dive and if I aired them up enough it also lifted it a little to straiten out the wheels. This may solve your problem.
I did buy a set for my Bronco w/4" lift because I was not happy with the ride also, but lost the truck to rust before I got a chance to install them. My new Bronco is stock so I cant use them.
Maybe someone who has used them in a Bronco could chime in.

Chris

·
Registered
214 Posts
Brooke said:
I actually like the 5000's, I'm just a little bit suprised that they weren't as stiff as what I've read on 90% of the posts about them. Quick question, the 5000's are NOT gas filled, right? Is that why I could compress them with my hands?
Depending on the unit, you can compress gas filled shocks such as Bilsteins, but the gas will drive the piston and rod back out as soon as you let go. That's why they're shipped with a strap holding them partially compressed. Bilsteins, and others, are somewhat difficult to compress, but you can do it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i had the quad set up on my 89 150 and i ran 5000's, it was so damn stiff i had to go to just two. when i did that the ride was perfect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy yourself a set of Bilsteins.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
so you still ahvent answered everyones ?'s...do you have quad shock?

ive got quads and want a softer ride...should i pull out the front shock or rear shock on the quad setup...

DC
Remove the front shocks if you want to go back to 2 shocks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No quad setup. I drove the truck today down the highway and it was really good. I can't expect it to stiffen up the truck when I have channel bar steel bumpers. The ride was much better than I originally thought.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i hate my rancho 9000's. my next shock is the BBCS 11" off polyperformance after i add 2" more lift or do my SAS in the summer.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
really? ive heard nothing but good about the 9000's. First complaint ive heard...hmmm

well i might be removing two of the crappy NAPA shocks from upfront to soften my ride.. my truck hops when i hit bumbs

DC

·
Registered
952 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
really? ive heard nothing but good about the 9000's. First complaint ive heard...hmmm

well i might be removing two of the crappy NAPA shocks from upfront to soften my ride.. my truck hops when i hit bumbs

DC

i use to have dual's up front and i removed 1 from each side and it's still stiffer than i would like.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oldyeller said:
I don't know why you want such a harsh ride, but the roughest shocks I've ever run are ProComp's ES3000's. I personally love the way the rancho's feel, maybe try the adjustable Rancho's and turn em all the way up.
hell yes i had a procomp six inch lift with the ES3000's and it was way to stiff. flexed like shit too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts