Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I along with my daughter were out walking the woods two weekends ago looking for moose sheds. Yessss it really is a thing. The snow on the ridges etc was mostly gone and the low areas was less than 3 feet so it was prime time for looking. We found this bad boy laying about 15 yards from where my trail camera had been up until the end of February. Late Feb. t
moose shed.jpg
he neighbor up at camp showed up with a side by with tracks and asked if we wanted to go for a ride. Man we grabbed a couple of 12ers and out the door we flew. I took down 3 of my cams and damn near drowned in the snow. It was almost up to my man boobs! Anyway, the camera that was here had quite few pics of a cow and a calf moose, wolves, foxes, fishers and pine martin. I saw the rub first which is about 7 feet tall from about 50' and looked blaze orange since it was on a small spruce. The wife saw the shed first and started screaming and hyperventilating. It was awesome. She was so pumped I had to help her hold the thing for the first couple of minutes. We're still looking for the other one, but who knows. It's more than likely it's within a quarter mile, but that's a circle with a half mile diameter.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Cool!

You in AK?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,966 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
That's an awesome find. Your bud has a side by side with tracks? How would that perform in mud and muck?
Oh, what "bear" protection is that? Looks like a wheel gun...44mag?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Nice find and beautiful pup, TLW has requested the age and a picture of the lab standing up, to compare size with her Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. He’s lab shepherd mix and quite tall and long at 1 year old next Friday.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I don't have any pics handy of the dog. Her name is Ruby She is a Lab Tosa Inu mix that was taken from a Res. She had nearly died from puppy mange and required a lot of love and medicine for the first 6 months. She is a mid sized lab about 75lbs, but from her build she should probably be more like 65. It's hard to know because the Tosa tends to have a fair amount of loose skin from the front shoulders forward. She is about 32or 33" tall with a fair amount of leg, and when she stretches she goes dang near end to end on the King size bed.
Uhhh.. no no that's just an over sized multi tool that I carry on my belt when I'm in the woods. I forgot I had even worn it that day.
I cant say how the side by with tracks would be in the mud. It only sinks in about 6 or 7 inches in the snow with adults in it so I guess if the mud isn't real soupy it would be great. I know the makers proclaim that tracks are great for the mud, I'm just not sure that the mud would be great for the tracks as far as all of the bogey wheels and stuff.
This is another pic that the neighbor got in November of 2019 about 800 or 1000yds North of where we found the shed. That's the shed owner on the left
Larry moose pic.JPG

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Swamp Thanks Swamp, I’m always carrying “bear protection”...I’m in Miami!! Huge gun collector here.

Thanks for adopting your dog, she’s a fighter from puppyhood and I’m sure grateful she found you!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,999 Posts
All you yoopers are stuck in time, according to a buddy from detroit! Lol.

That's a nice shed. I found a pair from a whitetail who got hit by a car and wandered into our woods to die. Lost one and I had to cut the other off his skull. Wish I'd found the shed before cutting the first off...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, to be honest I'm a Yooper at heart and I don't really live in the U.P. I have a camp up there and spend pretty much every spare minute there. I don't live much different at home than I do at camp with the exception of being hooked to the grid at home. I heat both places with wood year round and spend much of my time in the woods. We have a small solar set up and a genny powered well so hot and cold running water at camp even though we're 13 miles off the blacktop road.
Here's a pic from I believe mid November 2017. Temp was about -14F over night and when I got back from the stand that evening it was back to -8F. It was so quiet you could have heard a mouse fart 100 yards away. It's like a drug man. Just can't get enough!
The second pic is the day we signed the papers to our dream
By the way Big Blue. The people up where we are at don't really have a lot of nice things to say about the Trolls down south. You know the ones that live below the bridge. I believe they are talking about the city dwellers that are scared to walk in the park if the grass is too long if you know what I mean.
DSCN4563.JPG
Cabin and Lake Winter.png

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Nice find and beautiful pup, TLW has requested the age and a picture of the lab standing up, to compare size with her Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. He’s lab shepherd mix and quite tall and long at 1 year old next Friday.
Just an FYI... Dogs that are desexed before reaching sexual maturity will tend to be longer in leg and back then their intact counterparts... You're literally removing a third of the endocrine system when u neuter/spay a dog, removing the major sex hormone producing glands which, those hormones tell a dog time to stop growing... And when they aren't there...u get disproportionate growth of long bones... Example...
BannerMaker_02112018_003649.png

2 great Danes... Within 6 months in age of each other.. one on the left neutered before sexual maturity (probably between 5-9 months old as the vet recommends) as evident by the disproportionately long front legs, fine bone, narrow hips, long neck, long back (hence the spinal curve at the tail end), poor coat, and under developed "puppy like" phallus (his boy parts)...
Now the dane on the right... Still intact... Nice thick bone in perportion to his overall size, his "balance" (length of leg compared to length of back and deepness of chest (which according to the great Dane standard should be to their elbows)), density and color of coat, and development of sex organs are all on par for what you'd expect for the breed...
So... There u have it... Keep your dog's intact till 18-24 months or risk all kinds of issues from musculoskeletal to auto immune defects, or find a vet that does vasectomies or tubals that leave the glands (testes and ovaries) intact.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a city slicker question. Don’t these Animals shed their antlers every year? And if so, is there not a plethora of them about?

Really quite curious..

KCD

·
Registered
249 Posts
I didn't even know we had moose in da UP. That's awesome.

There's some beautiful scenery up there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, dah moose drop em every year, but like Mom says everything from porcupines to mice eat them. The other thing is that there isn't a bull moose in every piece of woods. These bulls get territorial and cover miles so when they are dropping their antlers they could be somewhere in a 1 square mile area or more. I think the bigger bulls may tend to drop them closer because the excess weight left on one side seems to irritate them. I'd imaging with the really small bulls it's not as big a deal so they may not be as aggressive in trying to knock the second one off.
BroncMom, I have said that for over 30 years and our first two dogs were about 18 months when we had them spayed. Ruby was not as fortunate. Since she came from a shelter we didn't have a choice. We weren't allowed to bring her home right away due to her mange so for the first 4 weeks we had to drive an hour each way several times per week to visit her. Then when she was well enough we had to sign papers to foster her for another 2 months while she went in for a check up once a week. When the shelter was satisfied that she was recovered enough we were able to sign the adoption papers and part of that agreement was that she had to be spayed within the next month and at their vet office. It was not acceptable to use our vet: we asked several times; and we could wait no more than 4 weeks or they said they would take her back. So we ended up with a not quite 7 month old pup who had already been spayed. We loved her and hated it, but they had us over a barrel and without consulting a lawyer we let them. With kids all moved out she is our baby.
Swamp

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Sometimes things are out of our control with things like that @Swamp ... Unfortunately...
Thankfully tho more vets are starting to understand the long term harm that's being done by early desexing and are exploring other options. A lot of the data from 10 years ago about early desexing providing cancer benefits and the like have been disproven and had shown the exact opposite is true. Who'd have thought removing a third of the endocrine system could increase chances of cancer, hyperthyroid, cushings, dysplasia, incontinence, and a myriad of other musculoskeletal issues...(that was sarcasm). These vets that are pioneering vasectomies and hysterectomies or tubals while leaving the ovaries and testes intact are true caregivers who have their clients long term health foremost in their minds. There are several different ways to control pet population aside of desexing. I wish more shelters and vets could see not only the physical, but behavioral ramifications of desexing before sexual maturity. Nobody likes being stuck with the eternal puppy (that hormone surge also tells them time to grow up and be a productive pack member) who has the potential for lifelong debilitating issues starting as early as 5 years old... Sorry... Hot button topic for me... I get into it all the time with these animal groups who refuse to believe the most current data on the matter and are blinded by the population control aspect which is all they care about... Fyi... Most of the language in those adoption contracts are unenforceable because, like it or not, dogs are still listed as property and the property laws take precedent in these cases. About the only legal way to take an animal after it's in your possession is via cruelty complaint.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@BroncMom @Swamp In SoFL, the publicly funded animal control (pound) went “no kill” a few years back. The majority of the residents voted to an increase in real estate taxes to go “no kill”. Dogs/cats adopted from them must be desexed. I have to admit, that’s the first time I’ve heard that phrase. Makes perfect sense...don’t sugar coat the procedure with “spay/neuter nonsense.

I have 3 Yorkies...wife insisted on desexing all 3, females, due to fears of cancers etc,, if you don’t....now it’s been debunked.

Like Sweet/Low is bad...now good
Coffee, bad...,.now good.
Paper bags bad...now good.
Everyday it’s a different study.

Dogs been “running free” since cave woman’s day and they survived. Wish we could shut the puppy mills down!

Oh, y’all lucky to have such gorgeous creatures on your neck of the woods. I’ve Only seen a real moose in the zoo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts