Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
58 Posts
Just reading this. Aparently there are more michiganders here than I thought. I may be a troll but I'm not afraid of a little tall grass :)

My wife and I are planning on buying property up there in the not too distant future as a vacation spot. Incredibly beautiful land up there

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was just yankin' some chains. Seriously though. Be sure to check out the area you are interested in between right now and the end of July. The area we are in has bugs like I never imagined and I live in the woods. We start the Spring with gnats so thick you can't breath without a head net. When they start to slow a little the mosquitoes start and I am serious as a heart attack, when you step out of your truck there will hundreds attached to your skin in seconds. The mosquitos will slow a little in the beginning of July, but biting black flies, deer flies and horse flies add to the mix. The bugs usually slow to a tolerable level by the middle of August and pretty much subside by early September. Snow usually starts by the 3rd week of October. Don't get me wrong. Unless somebody up and offers me a million dollars I wouldn't consider selling. I just want you to be aware. We first looked at ours in early October and signed in December.
The first winter we drove into the cabin almost every weekend that I wasn't plowing snow. Every winter since then has seen about 10 or 12 feet of snow. Snowmobiling in can even be challenging. Good luck with buying. Keep me in the loop. Maybe you'll end up in our area.
Swamp

·
Registered
58 Posts
We went to whitefish point and saw the shipwreck museum it was an incredible day trip from grayling. However the mosquitos just about carried me away.

A storm was rolling over the observation deck and my wife got the pleasure of watching while hundreds if not thousands of mosquitos played 1 on 1 basketball with me.

Unfortunately the horse flies really seem to like me too.

I'm not sure where up there. It may end up being in the northern part of the southern half, maybe petoskey area. My wife's family has a cottage on Drummond Island that ive heard is awesome but I haven't been there yet.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
@Swamp Sounds like your describing FL in the summer, minus the snow. Our skeeters are second to none. We had a Zika outbreak last year and a few confirmed cases of Dengue Fever this year.,,,and rainy season just started!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bronco dude, my daughter did some maneuvers over that way with the guard. Petoskey? i've gotta yank some more chain! That ain't even close to the bridge. Nice country way down there, but no where near as remote as up here. Drummond is another nice area,but way too commercial for me. Just be sure you do a lot of research on local ordinances and stuff before you make a final call. Our township has an ordinance that if you have even one foot of lake frontage you must have at least 40 contiguous acres. That's great! What I didn't know was that up and across the lake about 1200 yards from camp they have absolutely no ordinances so lots could be pie shaped with 10 feet of frontage stacked like boats in a mari\na. So far that isn't the case and I hope it never is.I'm a believer in blood type playing a distinct factor in how much the bugs attack a person. A couple of hints that seem to help. #! don't use any perfumey products including deodorant. We shower with head and shoulders or scent free shampoo and use only plain Dove soap. I have watched dozens and dozens of our family and friends getting attacked all the while many of us sat untouched. When pressed hard they'll say something like well I only used a little conditioner or body lotion or something. #2 Don't wear black! My D-I-L pretty much told me flat out I was an A hole and that color didn't matter! Until one day when we were all walking around in white and lime green shirts while she wore black. That was the last time I ever saw her in black when she's at camp. I've tried a lot of the fogging stuff and it helps some, but the best product I have found so far which has quadrupled in price over the last 3 years is permethrin. You need to spray with it daily for about 3 or 4 days before you get a noticeable reduction in mosquitoes, but it is relatively safe for pets especially dogs once it has dried.
Swamp

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haha im 25 minutes north of the capital, it may be down south for you but I'd be happy with a spot north of gaylord personally.

I totally believe the blood type thing and the color black thing. Horse flies go right for my head and my hair is jet black lol. Not into lotions and conditioners but unfortunately deodorant isn't negotiable :sneaky:

Very interesting about the zoning for sure. Gotta get the bronco north of the bridge! Some day I'll get the torino up there too

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
LOL!! My wife is like Johnny Cash...all her workout/yoga paints, tops etc are all black!

Plus, there ain’t a lotion or perfume she ain’t got on. She stopped tent camping once the kids grew up and rarely wants to hit the Glades with me.

Yup....too many skeeters says she.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts