Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More details please. I guess I should consider this before moving my pics, but know nothing about what is involved. Thanks for your help @schwim.
And so it begins.

I'll try to cobble together the domain name portion tomorrow morning before taking on my day. Feel free to toss any questions or requests for clarifications in the air. I'll add and fix stuff as I go!

Not to tell you what to do, but I hope you have a great evening!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,805 Posts
@schwim

:topic

Want a job in Michigan? I believe we're looking for an IT guy......you definitely could teach me a thing or three. I'll even give you MY HAT.

There's no doubt you know your stuff. :thumbup

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Host Your Own-Domain is up and ready. Let me know if I've glossed over something too much. I'm trying to simplify it enough to not get mired down in the neckbeard, ultranerd aspects of it while still providing enough information to make it possible for you to go out and do it yourself. I may fall too far on either side, however so feel free to suggest alterations to any text that you find too technical or conversely, is skipping too much important stuff.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hosting has been added. The script portion of the tut will involve a bit more in the way of time to draft so it won't be up tomorrow morning but maybe by the end of the day.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Script is finished, wrapping up the "Host it yourself" portion of the tutorial. I've tried to keep it from becoming a book but there's a lot to initially setting all this up so there's a bit of scrolling to be done. Apologies to your scrolling finger.

Due to the myriad of options out there, this can't be a perfect follow-along how-to but more of a guideline to setting this up for yourself. If you stray from the tutorial's path(and there's no reason you shouldn't) and find yourself in uncharted waters, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll do my best to get you back on the straight and narrow.

Best of luck and enjoy your new image host, no matter whether you've chosen one of the free services or to run the show yourself!

·
Administrator
1,134 Posts
Thank you Schwim - you really go above and beyond, I'm just in awe :)

It's nice to have options and thank you so much for breaking down each of them. You really oughta be an IT prof!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've gone ahead to increase the max file size (for all types we accept here) to 10MB. Before they were capped off at nearly 1.5MB. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Natalie

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
@schwim, thank you for taking the time to share all your knowledge to help us out.

I'm finally getting some time to try to apply some of it, but I can't get passed first base. In trying to download my album from PB, it keeps coming up with a message that goes something like "Hmmm, something didn't click. Want to try again?" But after this message comes up, clicking the download button in the box does nothing.

Do you think it's jus typical PB, or can you think of any settings I need to change or something else I can do? There's 319 pics in the album. BTW I'm on a Mac using Safari.

TIA,
Stan

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
"Hmmm, something didn't click. Want to try again?" But after this message comes up, clicking the download button in the box does nothing.
The error you're getting is a very generic blurb they offer for all kinds of issues. My first suggestion would be to try a different browser or computer as it's quite likely that the issue is browser specific. Is that option available to you?

I would be happy to give it a shot for you if you're unable to handle it via another browser if you want to PM me your login credentials and the album(s) you're trying to grab. You can change your PW to something random so I don't get your secret sauce if you'd like.

Fingers crossed that you have another 'puter to try :)

·
Eric
2,512 Posts
I just read through all this, again. I'm still amazed. The content of this thread is friggin' insane. The pics, the breakdown, the "no-worries-guys-I'll-walk-you-through-it-with-a-smile-on-my-face" tone of the whole thing.

Schwim, straight up, you're a bad-ass. The effort put into this thread was awesome.

If you don't have a job in IT, or, something, you should.

BTW, my Imgur is working great and is easy to use. I give you a customer service rating of 5 stars. :thumbup

Thanks again sir,
Eric

·
Premium Member
35,038 Posts
while kudos are being handed out... I'd like to add my public acknowledgement and appreciation to my myriad of personal "thanks" I've already given our fine IT pro man, Mr. schwim. :thumbup

I recently got fed up with my domain host and email provider, after having already shelved my single internet page website last year due to ridiculous costs for such minimal need. I PM'd our favorite IT pro for a little guidance in available alternatives to godaddy's internet highway robbery. He hooked me up and I couldn't be happier. I used to be an IT guy, long long ago on a planet not so far away, so I can seriously appreciate the time, effort and knowledge he's put in and is willing to share with us so freely.

Thanks for everything @schwim

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You guys are too kind. My wife says that you are all also terribly misinformed.

I noticed that some of the guys were editing their topics affected by the PB issue to strip all the images out of their topics with the intention of adding them back at a later time. This is unfortunate, as it's much easier to fix them with that code in the posts.

I've added some content to the first post in this thread dealing with a way to get these problem images to show, making it much easier to move them to another host.

I just want to make it very clear that this may very well be a temporary fix. If Photobucket changes it to block this as well and you haven't moved the images to another host, well, then you'll be dealing with this issue a second time. PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER THIS A FIXALL FOR THE ISSUE BUT INSTEAD A STEP IN GETTING YOU TO A MORE FRIENDLY IMAGE HOST

The new content is under the title FIX YOUR B0RKED THREADS (FOR THE TIME BEING). When you're on page one of this topic, you can easily jump to the new stuff if you click CTRL+F to bring up the find dialog in your browser and then type b0rk. It should scroll the page right to the heading of the stuff you want to read.

Sorry for not adding this from the beginning and as always, if I've poorly explained anything or you've got some questions, just let me know.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
At the beginning of the thread, I mentioned:

So what should you do? The very first thing you should do is download all your images that are being housed by PB. That way, no matter what happens, you will have them for future use, e.g.: fixing your threads at a later date. The reason it's important to do this now is because PB has already proven that it will change it's Terms of Service in very drastic ways, taking away what you thought was a given. There's no reason to trust that they won't try to stop the bleeding of users by taking away your ability to download your images in a convenient manner. So let's get those images.
Well, the "Download album" link has indeed disappeared and it seems the feature has been stripped from the website, making it impossible to download your albums in any official manner.

Some might consider the statement I made to be prophetic but in reality, it's just the next logical step for a company that has proven itself to be abusive of it's users.

I have edited the first post in the thread to show how to download your albums via "unapproved" channels. I'd strongly urge anyone who wants their images to do it sooner rather than later.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,103 Posts
As always @schwim, thanks for helping us "hostages" get released from the "Photobucket Terroristas" . :thumbup

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey there, friends and neighbors!

I am in no way affiliated with these companies but since I directly discussed using these services in the original post, I thought I'd share some Thanksgiving deals for both the paid version of the Chevereto image host and InMotion hosting:

Chevereto paid offerings 50% off: https://chevereto.com/pricing

InMotion hosting 50% off: Shared Business Hosting with Free SSDs | InMotion Hosting

I just thought I'd mention it in case someone following this thread was considering the "Host your own" solution.

Happy post-Turkey day!

·
Administrator
2,836 Posts
Just an FYI I went the free version of Chevereto install thanks to Schwim’s great directions in this thread an so far love it . Very easy to use , faster than both PB , and Super Motors, and most importantly very very mobile friendly.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just an FYI I went the free version of Chevereto install thanks to Schwim’s great directions in this thread an so far love it . Very easy to use , faster than both PB , and Super Motors, and most importantly very very mobile friendly.
I think the free version is definitely sufficient for our needs. I such a cheapskate though, I can't help but share sales :)

Posted while doing 60 MPH and staring at my crotch thanks to Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 64 Posts