Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

361 - 380 of 523 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
Oh and the f250 I bought as a parts truck has a running 351 in it. I drove it home when I bought it

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
Very true, and they are wider than pickup axles.

But I'm talking about an Econoline100 from 1974. Iirc it's a slightly narrow, offset 9" that never came in anything else.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
All I found today was a Dodge SRT4 (turbo Neon)...you don't see many of those around...which I guess is why it's the first one I've seen in the yards, given its death trap reputation should make it a common sight there.

I did spot two GM hydroboost setups w/ saginaw and remote reservoir, though: a very clean GMC Safari and an extremely unclean Chevy Astro. I need to do my homework before next week's trip on whether that's worth pulling and what all is involved.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
All I found today was a Dodge SRT4 (turbo Neon)...you don't see many of those around...which I guess is why it's the first one I've seen in the yards, given its death trap reputation should make it a common sight there.

I did spot two GM hydroboost setups w/ saginaw and remote reservoir, though: a very clean GMC Safari and an extremely unclean Chevy Astro. I need to do my homework before next week's trip on whether that's worth pulling and what all is involved.
So are you looking for a Sag type 1 (canned ham reservoir) or a Type 2 (full remote reservoir)? Because the latter type can be found on newer econolines. I think it's when they switched to the mod motors. My 99 has the type 2. I would think your best bet for that would be one off a Essex 4.2L v6. It has similar architecture as the SBF and even shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I could take a quick glance in a bit at mine.

I personally would never buy any brake booster or master at the yard. I would look for a new/reman out of a 87-97 F-Superduty. Iirc, the pedal pivot is slightly different between those and the normal vacuum boosted brake models.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
Cant get my phone in there for pics. It's too tight lol. Maybe when I'm not at work I can investigate a bit more

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
In from the topside!

A bracket would be fairly simple to make if need be

And the reservoir for good measure

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So are you looking for a Sag type 1 (canned ham reservoir) or a Type 2 (full remote reservoir)? Because the latter type can be found on newer econolines. I think it's when they switched to the mod motors. My 99 has the type 2. I would think your best bet for that would be one off a Essex 4.2L v6. It has similar architecture as the SBF and even shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I could take a quick glance in a bit at mine.

I personally would never buy any brake booster or master at the yard. I would look for a new/reman out of a 87-97 F-Superduty. Iirc, the pedal pivot is slightly different between those and the normal vacuum boosted brake models.
Thanks for the info and pics. I've seen you mention you only do new parts for brake components, which is probably wise, but I've had good luck in the past with used caliper upgrades. The Safari looking so clean and leak-free caught my eye for that reason. Heck, the whole engine bay was pristine. Who details their minivan?! I'm thinking it was either very well maintained, or very lightly driven.

Anyway, I've already got the Econoline 5.0/5.8 Saginaw pump (type 1, I guess) & bracket. My thinking was, the GM pump and remote reservoir would pair to that easily. Is there any advantage to the newer Econolines, other than newer parts (if used) or more current catalog (if new), if going that route? This is getting off-topic for the thread...

Edit: If I do the upgrade, I most likely have to go remote reservoir, because my York positioning would make the cap inaccessible otherwise.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
I do not know the specific difference between type 1 and 2 other than the visual difference. The two gm vans I saw with remote reservoirs still had the canned ham reservoir on the pump. One had hydroboost, one didnt. The one with HB had a second line to the remote reservoir.

I suppose if the unit looks good, you can always replace it if it fails. Not like you cant get one from the AP store then and just bolt it in.

We're still talking about JY finds, just ones we havent pulled yet lol!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I do not know the specific difference between type 1 and 2 other than the visual difference. The two gm vans I saw with remote reservoirs still had the canned ham reservoir on the pump. One had hydroboost, one didnt. The one with HB had a second line to the remote reservoir.
That's interesting, all the half dozen or so Astro/Safaris I've seen all had remote reservoirs and the round-ish looking pump in place of the canned ham Saginaw. (I never got a close look at one, because as mentioned previously, they eat pulley pullers for lunch!) Why would there be a remote reservoir in addition to the regular canned ham reservoir? Is that just extra capacity, or is it somehow bypassing the reservoir on the pump?

I found this, which may be the best reason in support of your proposed Econoline direction:

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/15-general-discussion-bronco-wheeling-related/127062-f-superduty-hydroboost.html

The SuperDuty hydroboost is a direct bolt-in for this truck, also for '80s and '90s Broncos. I just installed a Chevy hydroboost in my F350, I had to space it out about 2" to compensate for the longer pushrod, and pedal is still a bit too high. My booster is a bit sticky on the return stroke tho, so I put it a helper spring on the pedal, which is actually factory setup for the hydroboosted Chevy trucks. Also I had to install a spacer in the master cylinder's piston bore, as the vacuum booster pushrod sticks out further out than the hydroboost.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
The dual reservoir one I recall specifically was a late 70s-early 80s model so the type two wasnt out yet I guess. May have just been to aid in filling the reservoir, since it's a cramped van space

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Remember, the power steering setups in the Astro/Safari have to be different than the S-10/S-15 on the later Vortec 4.3's due to clearance issues. So if you think you need clearance for the reservoir cap because of a York, you might just want to take a peak at those S-pickups, as they have a dipstick and tube to clear the A/C compressor on their Vortec 4.3's.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks, that's worth looking into. Do you happen to know what years would be the correct ones?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10

I'm guessing '91-93 would be considered early years, so the "later Vortec 4.3's" would be 2nd Gen, with likely breakdowns of '94-95 and '96-04? The only semi-related discussion I found was one I've already seen before when looking up Chevy remote reservoirs:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/951326-found-interesting-p-s-pump-info.html

Summit has a few oddly shaped reservoirs that turned up in a S-10 Saginaw search, but the Applications don't match, so I'm not sure. Example:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-36p1375/overview/make/chevrolet

The reservoir neck is offset, which might be what you're describing for added clearance.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
^ I imagine that's what the pump looks like on the Safari/Astro remote reservoir setups...if I could ever get one off to see. :)

This may be a really stupid question, but how does one tell if a pump is a Saginaw, if not for the traditional canned ham reservoir? Is the bolt pattern the only clue? I imagine not all pumps are created equal...

Also, if I don't pull the hydroboost setup, then there's no compelling reason to do the Saginaw swap as long as my pump is healthy. I've already got the modified lines in place for the 4-bolt steering box, and I settled on an electric winch instead of hydraulic, so everything is coexisting happily at present.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,215 Posts
^ I imagine that's what the pump looks like on the Safari/Astro remote reservoir setups...if I could ever get one off to see. :)

This may be a really stupid question, but how does one tell if a pump is a Saginaw, if not for the traditional canned ham reservoir? Is the bolt pattern the only clue? I imagine not all pumps are created equal...

Also, if I don't pull the hydroboost setup, then there's no compelling reason to do the Saginaw swap as long as my pump is healthy. I've already got the modified lines in place for the 4-bolt steering box, and I settled on an electric winch instead of hydraulic, so everything is coexisting happily at present.
By the pump shape itself. 4 bolt holes in the face and a round boss about a 1/2" proud.

I found that one just by browsing the ac delco PS pumps on summit.

If your CII pump isn't whining, I'd leave it alone until you need it or If you go HB or a hydro assist steering.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
The reservoir neck is offset, which might be what you're describing for added clearance.
Yes, I believe that is the reservoir, and the ones in the mid '90s only had the cap with short plastic dipstick; the later ones had a tube that fit onto and over the reservoir neck, then had a cap with a long metal dipstick. That tube was directly beside the compressor body. I'm unsure of the exact year breakdown, but Hell, just go look at them all.And the full-sized pickups and maybe even vans with the 5.0 and 5.7L engines could fit that category.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I went at lunch today. they're closed all weekend, so i won't be able to go tomorrow even if I find something good. anyway, all this saginaw talk got me looking at S10s and blazers. All the ones I saw seemed to not have a remote reservoir, but a remote filler cap.

Is this the kind someone should get if they want to do a York OBA in the future?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
last saturday they were also cutting up an F250 4x4. I asked the guy wielding the torch if he could cut out the rear, front leaf spring brackets. Here they are:

several minutes with an angle grinder will get them separated, and then I can return the leftovers back to the junkyard.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
anyway, all this saginaw talk got me looking at S10s and blazers. All the ones I saw seemed to not have a remote reservoir, but a remote filler cap.

Is this the kind someone should get if they want to do a York OBA in the future?
Whoa, baby got neck! I'll be on the lookout for those now. A key element will be whether the tube/cap can rotate away from the compressor mount. The pictured configuration addresses reservoir cap access, but would interfere more with a York unless mounting it upright, which not every bay has room for. It seems like it would also interfere with our stock compressors, as that mount looks less offset.

Oddly, though, it looks like they designed it that way only to make filling the reservoir easier down low, as the usual capped reservoir isn't blocked by that compressor at all.

361 - 380 of 523 Posts