Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

681 - 700 of 739 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,169 Posts
My "local" yards are 1.25 to 2 hours away, so I feel the pain.

Pick N Pull has their inventory online. The midway U-Pulls in KC do too, but they only are in KC and Wichita.

In two years I've seen maybe 5-7 '73-79 pickups in the yards. And a single 67-72. Never a 78/9 bronco, but I've only seen 3 broncos total.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
647 Posts
At picknpull at least, what you call it makes a big difference too. My local picknpull has a few people working the register that have no idea what anything is. My buddy got a D44 for like $40 cause he called it a dead axle and the kid at the register didn’t know the difference....

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,169 Posts
Yeah, I give as little info as possible when they ask what it is. But I'm also not going to straight up lie either.

Sure, little things like emblems and trim, and such just hide in my bag.

Those underhood lights were rang up as "pigtails" for a couple bucks each.

A lot of the employees dont give a crap, as long as the bigger items are paid for.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts
Weekly trip to the yards was moderately successful today, but nothing really worth pics.

Got a Saginaw setup for a 460 V-belt (probably sold already).

The same 80 van had a Holley D9xx motorcraft carb in great shape on it, as well as a carb heat shield and spacers.

Got a bunch of emblems, mostly metal ones. That 80 econoline was a 350 Chateau Trailer Special. Got all of those, a flare side badge, and some 87-91 custom badges. And a pair of 80-86 b-pillar Lariat emblems.

And a set of 99-04 superduty center caps to replace the ugly set on my 08.

I did find a set of wiss straight cut tin snips and a 3" 3/8 drive extension.

Question, is the charcoal interior for 87-91 or 92+ all that rare? I see some nearly every trip it seems. I did see a 87-91 Tach cluster today but didnt have enough cash. That would be nice in my 88 that I'm gonna make a trail rig.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,008 Posts
I did find a set of wiss straight cut tin snips and a 3" 3/8 drive extension.

Question, is the charcoal interior for 87-91 or 92+ all that rare? I see some nearly every trip it seems.
That's funny, I found a pair of tin snips yesterday, too.

I've passed on several sets of '92-96 interior panels because they take up a lot of space and seem like something that'll sit for ages, but the asking prices are awfully high, so maybe there's a demand? (I bought my full interior, less seats, for $100 including cargo shade. I then sold the cargo shade for nearly as much as I later paid for the engine out of the same truck! Maybe I just have a lessened appreciation for the value of the interior plastic...)

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts
92+ and from my understanding... rare might be a stretch but not much.
So just less common, not like the elusive green interior lol. And of course all I see are pickups, so it's only half the trim needed for a bronco.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My local pnp is a gold mine. And prices are fair. Ecms are 27 with a warranty. I find a lot of other goodies to. Lighters, usb chargers, fishing lures, tools.
Because I operate a shop. I go and get handfuls of fuses, trim screws and relays. For a couple of dollars. They don't charge for screws and bolts. Most of the fuses just go in my pocket.
Wire conduit is always on my list. Lot's to be had, just look where a motors been pulled and that's the easiest access to the engine harness.
Yesterday I got the AOD cable bracket off an 87 ltd that I'll need for my explorer intake swap. Also got a cruise motor and cable off another 5.0 explorer. I'm updating my cruise to that style and ditching the vacuum cruise. The explorer cruise cable attatches to the throttle cable the same way the original does. The AOD bracket mounts to the backside of the egr elbow to align with the throttle lever and it holds all three cables. I also pulled the throttle lever from the ltd since the explorer doesn't have the AOD TV cable.
I'm still looking for an air cleaner lid from a mass air truck. I need need the single inlet to hook up the intake hose. I want to retain the truck air cleaner so I won't have to buy another k&n.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Does not FSB stuff count? Went to a local junkyard with a buddy a while back - I was hunting odds and ends and he was just along for the ride. Found an early 70's Pontiac wagon with a factory 455 with low miles. Got lucky - they'd just put it in the yard. He paid normal price ($225 I think?) for the complete engine. Now he's hunting for something to dump it in.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts
Absolutely! That's a nice score, and the price is right in line with the yards here.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,137 Posts
I hope to make it tomorrow. Going to be cold though.

I moved jobs a few weeks ago, so I'm not 5 minutes from the yard anymore and have to wait until saturday. Last saturday I got there to find it closed due to the snow/cold. I made sure to call them today and they assured me that they'd be open. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The pick n' pull down the road from me was having free gate and 30% off everything so I was there right when they opened this morning and got a complete 14-bolt rear axle assembly out of a 2000 Chevy C3500. Earlier this week I picked up a Dana 60 out of a 2008 Super Duty. These axles are being traded to a friend for a vehicle. The deal is not finalized yet, as I'm waiting on a title, but once the deal is done I'll let the cat out of the bag as to what kind of vehicle it is. Later in the day, at another yard, I was able to get two more 5.0/5.8 Saginaws. They're getting hard to find in my area because I've bought up most of the local supply, lol.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,640 Posts
At picknpull at least, what you call it makes a big difference too. My local picknpull has a few people working the register that have no idea what anything is. My buddy got a D44 for like $40 cause he called it a dead axle and the kid at the register didn’t know the difference....
Isn't that the truth. Years ago I had a 70 Ford window van. Ford called that window van a Club Wagon. Van/truck parts prices were always higher than parts for cars. But parts for a Club Wagon...

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
It was a nice day today, and the UP&P just got a 95 F150 in and I wanted to see if I could get a 134a AC system off it. Well it was a V8 so the hoses were different, but they had others and I found a 93 with a 300, but it had R12 in it and a compressor delete pulley, which I got, along with the belt tensioner. I went back to the 95 and got the compressor, the battery tray and a Shelf-it unit out of it. I probably need to go back and at least get the condenser out of it since I understand it should be higher capacity than my R12 unit.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I never but anything from bronco, even when I was able to find broncos. It's always off an f150. I don't know how much it matters but no sense in giving an excuse to mark up the price. Well, at least when it can go on either. For bronco specific parts I'll tell them.

At least that's at the small yards. Pick n pull doesn't care about that.

Not to sound high and mighty, but I decided a while back to stop leaving things in my pockets at checkout. Usually they give me anything that'd fit in there anyway or charge just a buck or so. And then I don't feel like a thief.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Shelf-It! Super score! If the fuzz is all worn out, you can hit it with a DA and clean it down to bare aluminum.
I did that (at your suggestion) on the one I'm currently running, but this one is covered in cloth. I figure it's a newer model??? or maybe it's another brand. It needs a bit of cleaning, but all they only charged me for the visors.

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,251 Posts
srw - I wasn't sure if that was you in the past or not. I've only seen one type but that doesn't mean a whole lot. LMC still sells 'em, so there are new ones to be had out there.

dash - I don't cruise the yards much anymore and when I did, the damn gypsies usually had 'em cleaned out as soon as they cleared the lot and hit the yard... but, when I did, I always felt like a punk if I left with a pocketful of trinkets. You're not alone. Not that I'd cast dispursion on anyone else, god knows they get theirs. Just saying, I understand the vibe.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts
I saw a cloth covered shelf-it once too, but left it as it was ratty.

Meh, I've done the whole "show em everything" even fuses and emblems and they didnt care about em. So I just throw the little crap in my bag if I'm purchasing bigger stuff. If all I find is a few smalls, I pay for em.

Technically you're supposed to pay for any tools you find too, but who does that? Bolts and nuts are the same way. I've never had them charge me for the bolts.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,008 Posts
^ Same here. I just throw everything small in my tool tote. If they want to rummage through it, they're free to, but they never do. I put it on the counter for them to see. After rattling off a few things I grabbed, starting with the big stuff, they lose interest and assign a number to the lot. It's about the same price to buy one small thing as it is to buy half a dozen big things and that one small thing (the price often goes down the more I buy), so I'll sometimes stash solo finds for a later trip when it's worth bundling.

681 - 700 of 739 Posts