Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

701 - 720 of 739 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,170 Posts
Visited my favorite yard today, too bad its the one 2 hours away!

My main quarry was a 71 "f150" (lol). I wanted the ranger emblems and wanted to check out the heads on the 302. It also had a "cop light" on the drivers cowl. Someone beat me to it. All the emblems were stripped. But they left one from the hood side in the cab!

20200206_162336.jpg

I snagged the nice 2bbl motorcraft carb off the top of the engine.

20200206_162312.jpg

Then I pulled a valve cover, and found a suprise...

20200206_100836.jpg

That's not a smallblock ford head! Or at least not a Windsor head... this 71 F100 had a 351 Cleveland swapped in! Score! Went ahead and grabbed the fairy clean valve covers too. Each head, as you see em cost $44.99. Tough to beat for a budget 351w I have planned.
20200206_162259.jpg

You can see the cop light in that pic too. It functions great, but needs a new handle made.

Then I found a windstar or whatever minivan without an engine. Was a great opportunity to snag the electric fan setup for my bronco. I snipped and stripped the wires for each of the dual fans, and tested them with a 20v dewalt battery. Nice and smooth sounding.

20200206_162344.jpg

As I was leaving, this sweet truck was parked next to me. 84-86 diesel f250 with a turbo kit. D60 swapped under the front and maybe a 4" lift with small flares.

20200206_122952.jpg

20200206_123008.jpg

20200206_123012.jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Went to the pick n' pull that's down the road from me yesterday morning. They had just put out two 1992 5.0 Econolines so I snagged both Saginaws. I also picked a couple nice interior panels out of a F150. Would like to go back for a few more parts, but that'll have to wait. Too many irons in the fire already....

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Man you guys are scoring some sweet stuff. I hate not being near a pull a part or some other corporate owned junkyard anymore.

One of my favorite ways to spend a Saturday morning. My best find not long after cash 4 clunkers was three sets of bronco running boards over the course of a couple weeks. Still have two of them.

Got a nice snap on pry bar once that went home with me. Found some Polaroid nudes in some old clapped out car one time...left those there for the next lucky person.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,170 Posts
I find tools all the time in the JYs. Unfortunately I've left a couple off my own behind too though. Never found any high end tools though. Anyone taking snap-on stuff to the JY is not real wise... I take cheap tools and replace them with tools I find.

I see the running boards quite often, factory and lund brand, but they are almost always destroyed. Probably by the forklift. I went up to pull an entire 8ft bed off a f150 a while back. Had to leave it because the forklift had completely destroyed the front lower bedsides. It was a perfect bed besides that and the pre-setting pic showed it without the damage. I was steamed! It even had an actual line-x coating inside and zero rust. Idiots lost out on a couple hundred bucks doing that.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Usa tool scores are the best. Some of my no name tool finds actually are in the tool bag. Cant recall how many times people have asked me to borrow a pair of pliers or needle nose pliers. Broken name brand tools you can warranty are often overlooked in cars.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Usa tool scores are the best. Some of my no name tool finds actually are in the tool bag. Cant recall how many times people have asked me to borrow a pair of pliers or needle nose pliers. Broken name brand tools you can warranty are often overlooked in cars.
Without a doubt. Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, etc. Anything with a lifetime warranty is a great find.

The junkyard giveth and the junkyard taketh away though. I've managed to lose/leave several of my hand tools behind over the years.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
I find tools all the time in the JYs. Unfortunately I've left a couple off my own behind too though. Never found any high end tools though. Anyone taking snap-on stuff to the JY is not real wise... I take cheap tools and replace them with tools I find.

I see the running boards quite often, factory and lund brand, but they are almost always destroyed. Probably by the forklift. I went up to pull an entire 8ft bed off a f150 a while back. Had to leave it because the forklift had completely destroyed the front lower bedsides. It was a perfect bed besides that and the pre-setting pic showed it without the damage. I was steamed! It even had an actual line-x coating inside and zero rust. Idiots lost out on a couple hundred bucks doing that.
The yards here are pretty careless when it comes to moving things around. I was at the very back of one of our yards here where they have the shop they use to drain all the fluids and get the cars/trucks ready for the yard. The guy with the forklift had an older car, probably a crown vic or something like that, and he was deliberately smacking the truck lid with it with the forks. I was wondering wtf he was doing as it was cracking and popping stuff, then the trunk lid popped open and he went on with his business. I guess he was just trying to open the trunk before putting it into the yard. One hell of a way to do it.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,008 Posts
I've seen the forklift driver smash out the rear glass on a newer minivan to get a better lifting point (forks through the interior, lifting by the roof) to set it atop another vehicle in the cramped yard. You'd think the rear hatch/glass would be one of the most valuable items (think how many are totaled from being hit there; meaning a relatively easy swap makes them as good as new) on the vehicle, so if they care that little about preserving things, I'm not sure why I always make an effort to not break stuff I'm leaving behind.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
I've seen the forklift driver smash out the rear glass on a newer minivan to get a better lifting point (forks through the interior, lifting by the roof) to set it atop another vehicle in the cramped yard. You'd think the rear hatch/glass would be one of the most valuable items (think how many are totaled from being hit there; meaning a relatively easy swap makes them as good as new) on the vehicle, so if they care that little about preserving things, I'm not sure why I always make an effort to not break stuff I'm leaving behind.
That's what they did to this 78, lifted it by the roof. I think they did it to get at one of the axles.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Long gone are the yards that drop off a vehicle in the yard by tow truck and there it sits for a decade. The yards now days need to move vehicles to process them for new arrivals coming in. Some vehicles sit for less than a half of week at scrap yards.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Getbent4x4 speaks the truth! The turnover at my local pick n' pull is amazing. We're truly a disposable society.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Getbent4x4 speaks the truth! The turnover at my local pick n' pull is amazing. We're truly a disposable society.
2-3 months and out the door. few years ago it was 7-11 months depending how many people were calling in to have their junk cars hauled off.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
2-3 months and out the door. few years ago it was 7-11 months depending how many people were calling in to have their junk cars hauled off.

It depends on the yard where I live. The largest yard here will go through them in a few months.

The yard that has that 78 Bronco I pictured is just now starting to get rid of some of their 70's Fords I've been picking from and they've had them since before I got my Bronco which was September of 2017.

There's a really small yard here as well and I don't think they get rid of stuff until it's as bare bones as possible. I honestly think the two guys that run that one do it as more of a hobby than anything else. It's a couple of guys probably in their 60's that operate it. They have only one 78/79 Bronco and it's not much more than a shell at this point, but I don't see them getting rid of it any time soon.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,170 Posts
Usually 3 to 6 months in the corporate yards here. Sometimes much longer. Theres a 83 econoline box van that's been at one for over two years. They store bits and piece in it.

It depends on what I remove if I break it or not. I cut belts and hoses. Door panels I remove carefully. Carpet, I cut. Broken pieces, I break. I cut open to top of an 08 superduty dash to unplug the upfitter switch relay harness. Someone still took it lol. Some pieces, if not salvageable, get cut with a sawzall.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I don't even cut belts and hoses if I can help it. You never know what someone might be searching for at less-than-new prices... But, if I can't easily access the belt tensioner, or the hoses are cooked on the barbs and putting up too much of a fight, I figure no one else is getting them off cleanly, either, so out come the snippers.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Man, today was an up-and-down'er. I go out to my usual yard and am told backpacks are no longer allowed, due to too many small items sneaking out in the various compartments. They're allowing duffel bags and the like with single compartments that can easily be checked, so I'll need to come up with something suitable to throw over my shoulder for breaker bar, knee pads, bags, water bottle, rags, spare gloves, etc.

He did say they have plans in the works to help with that inconvenience, so naturally I asked what those were. Wheelbarrows in the yard! (Assuming they don't get stolen, too. Really?) I mentioned the difficulty of getting them through the cramped aisles, some of which you can't even walk through, and he said they're planning to cut back the volume of new vehicles (from a high of 30 per day) so they can keep inventory around longer. In other words, no point checking in as frequently. One step forward, two steps back...

I spotted a new F150, late '94 build date, with a hood that wouldn't open. The hood/fender damage allowed me to peek in and catch a glimpse of a MAF airbox, which would make it my first MAF F150 find and hopeful donor for a good PCM to test my current one against (has one weird issue). It wasn't marked for pulling yet, though, but they got a forklift over to pop the hood so I could see if it was the right part # (WAY1/VEX1). To my surprise and disappointment, it was a 6-cyl not a V8. I didn't know they even offered those any more once MAF arrived on the scene.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,479 Posts
Yeah, the last inline sixes also got MAF. I have only one gas engine left, to see if it had MAF, and that's the 460.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I don't even cut belts and hoses if I can help it. You never know what someone might be searching for at less-than-new prices... But, if I can't easily access the belt tensioner, or the hoses are cooked on the barbs and putting up too much of a fight, I figure no one else is getting them off cleanly, either, so out come the snippers.
I do the same; makes me feel better about preserving a good part for someone trying to save their truck from the period of time that brings/puts them in the yards. If I see a nice part or piece of trim/bezel I'll leave it on the dash so it doesnt get damaged. I put door panels in the back seat. Ill put engine parts in the cargo area or bed. I do my best to preserve a part from the weather or from obviously ruining it. Takes a few extra minutes every junkyard trip but I'm sure people appreciate it. now sometimes i come back weeks or month later to see the part thrown in the mud but oh well sometimes the parts are actually gone so maybe it did helped someone get a good condition part.
Man, today was an up-and-down'er. I go out to my usual yard and am told backpacks are no longer allowed, due to too many small items sneaking out in the various compartments. They're allowing duffel bags and the like with single compartments that can easily be checked, so I'll need to come up with something suitable to throw over my shoulder for breaker bar, knee pads, bags, water bottle, rags, spare gloves, etc.
Just buy a plastic toolbox I been using one for a decade with no problems. I sometimes bring a old luggage carry on to put small parts in or power tools/breaker bar. Harbor freight, sears, lowes, etc sells toolbags cheap enough if you wanted to spend the money i just rather do it free.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just buy a plastic toolbox I been using one for a decade with no problems. I sometimes bring a old luggage carry on to put small parts in or power tools/breaker bar. Harbor freight, sears, lowes, etc sells toolbags cheap enough if you wanted to spend the money i just rather do it free.
I use a tool tote that holds all my regular tools, but the breaker bar and other stuff is too long/awkward/heavy for carrying. I've relied on the backpack for that stuff, plus a way to carry parts up to the office if my hands are too full. Maybe I'll go with a big messenger bag or something. A single compartment seems to be their only concern.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,640 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket & throw in the basic tools that I think I need. They can search thru it fast & easy & I can use it to carry small parts back. It's tall enough that a breaker bar isn't an issue. If I'm after something heavy I'll bring a 2 wheel dolly & stack & bungee the bucket to the dolly, sitting on top of the prize.

701 - 720 of 739 Posts