Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

821 - 840 of 858 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,004 Posts
I'm not sure about that. One thing I've learned over the years of being on here is the not everything is factory. A lot of 78/79 stuff could have been put on or done by the dealership.
My 78 is an odd duck. We have a plant here in KC, but it was made in San Jose for the KC DSO. It has the heaviest springs possible on f150s and both front shocks are behind the coil springs. Radius arm caps dont even have the cast in "fin" for mounting the front dual shocks. Also had a LS in the 9" from the factory.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Hmmm strategic... that means close to everyone and I'm right in the middle of the country. That means all 6 should be near me! Hahaha
Ok @BigBlue 94 , since your always at the junkyard grabbing and shipping parts anyways, how much property you sitting on and are you outside city limits?
“BigBlue’sFSB Salvation Station”

Just got to figure out salvation truck transportation and logistics!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,004 Posts
Ok @BigBlue 94 , since your always at the junkyard grabbing and shipping parts anyways, how much property you sitting on and are you outside city limits?
“BigBlue’sFSB Salvation Station”

Just got to figure out salvation truck transportation and logistics!
Haha okay, I'll play along!

I'm sitting on half a quarter section, 80 acres (1/2 mile by 1/4 mile). And no, it's not even in the same county as Topeka where I work.

So there is 43560 sq ft in an acre. If a truck takes up an 8x16ft space, that's 128 sq ft. That's 340.3125 trucks per acre. Give my house an acre, and the trucks 79. That comes out to 26,884.6875 fords I can easily fit... lol

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,706 Posts
I'm assuming JY picking is slow for most of us these days. I'm considering a trip tomorrow. I made a short, maybe 2 min stop at one of my JYs the other day just to see if they had hauled off any of the stuff I like to pick through (they did) and decided to take a quick peek at an old Lincoln they have there. It's mostly untouched and has a 460 in it.

I noticed someone took the fan off it, so that's why I'm considering a stop to grab what I want before it disappears. It has a saginaw pump on it with a sanden-type (round) a/c compressor as well and it's all connected together with a huuuuge bracket, damn near looks like an engine plate.

Anyway, I'd like to have it for my 77 if I ever manage to swap the 460 I have for it and I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone, swap to saginaw pump and keep the functional a/c I have on the truck.

Pure 70's luxury.

I actually kinda get bummed at some of the stuff I see in that yard, because a lot of the classic vehicles when they first hit the yard are prime examples of nice starters for a project. For example, this 67 F-100 would be a very nice project, but it'll most likely sit in the yard for a year and then get crushed.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts
I'm assuming JY picking is slow for most of us these days. I'm considering a trip tomorrow. I made a short, maybe 2 min stop at one of my JYs the other day just to see if they had hauled off any of the stuff I like to pick through (they did) and decided to take a quick peek at an old Lincoln they have there. It's mostly untouched and has a 460 in it.

I noticed someone took the fan off it, so that's why I'm considering a stop to grab what I want before it disappears. It has a saginaw pump on it with a sanden-type (round) a/c compressor as well and it's all connected together with a huuuuge bracket, damn near looks like an engine plate.

Anyway, I'd like to have it for my 77 if I ever manage to swap the 460 I have for it and I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone, swap to saginaw pump and keep the functional a/c I have on the truck.

Pure 70's luxury.

I actually kinda get bummed at some of the stuff I see in that yard, because a lot of the classic vehicles when they first hit the yard are prime examples of nice starters for a project. For example, this 67 F-100 would be a very nice project, but it'll most likely sit in the yard for a year and then get crushed.

If those Hoodside f100 emblems are there next time still, I'd ask you to get em for me, if that interests you.

I havent been to the JY in about a month, since they are up in the big city where the virus is running more rampant than here. Makes me sad. Though my wallet isnt as light!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Haha okay, I'll play along!

I'm sitting on half a quarter section, 80 acres (1/2 mile by 1/4 mile). And no, it's not even in the same county as Topeka where I work.

So there is 43560 sq ft in an acre. If a truck takes up an 8x16ft space, that's 128 sq ft. That's 340.3125 trucks per acre. Give my house an acre, and the trucks 79. That comes out to 26,884.6875 fords I can easily fit... lol
Sweet now we just gotta figure out logistics :ROFLMAO:

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,206 Posts
This Saturday I went, and saw something that any other day would have sent me back to get my tools: an 88 F250, 351, 4x4 5spd.

I just really didn’t feel like going through the trouble of trying to pull a small block ZF. I already have one I’m using in the Bronco and a spare in the garage. These days, I’m not sure anyone is in the market for one. Plus, I didn’t have the cash or space to keep one until I could sell it. Maybe later. Other than that, it was the only new ford for the last several weeks.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts
This Saturday I went, and saw something that any other day would have sent me back to get my tools: an 88 F250, 351, 4x4 5spd.
View attachment 158514

I just really didn’t feel like going through the trouble of trying to pull a small block ZF. I already have one I’m using in the Bronco and a spare in the garage. These days, I’m not sure anyone is in the market for one. Plus, I didn’t have the cash or space to keep one until I could sell it. Maybe later. Other than that, it was the only new ford for the last several weeks.
Hah I bet its eating at ya too... i left a BBF one in a truck and it's still bugs me! theres a SBF f250 hd in the yard I've been seeing online recently. I'm sure it has one, but I already have 4 zf5s. There is always a market for any 4x4 zf5 though...

After 4 of em, it doesnt take me long to pull one. Takes longer just to get to the JY! I'm pondering going tomorrow, if theres a few worthy candidates.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
839 Posts
I always pull every small block zf I find... and once my collection grows too much I can always find someone to buy one

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts
I always pull every small block zf I find... and once my collection grows too much I can always find someone to buy one
Funny how the SBF ZFs are so sought after, and "rare", but the 4x4 BBF and especially diesel versions are more rare. Only seen one BBF in the JY and never a IDI. Seen a number of SBF.

How many have seen a PTO version of a BW1356? I've seen one. Or even better, has anyone EVER seen a PTO for the BW1356? I've never heard of anyone finding the PTO unit. It really was pretty pointless, as the location was right in the way of the exhaust, and the ZF they usually came behind all had dual PTO ports.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
839 Posts
Funny how the SBF ZFs are so sought after, and "rare", but the 4x4 BBF and especially diesel versions are more rare. Only seen one BBF in the JY and never a IDI. Seen a number of SBF.

How many have seen a PTO version of a BW1356? I've seen one. Or even better, has anyone EVER seen a PTO for the BW1356? I've never heard of anyone finding the PTO unit. It really was pretty pointless, as the location was right in the way of the exhaust, and the ZF they usually came behind all had dual PTO ports.
Ive seen exactly one...

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,706 Posts
I saw a BBF ZF5 today in the yard. It was scattered in pieces and the case was split in two.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts
I saw a BBF ZF5 today in the yard. It was scattered in pieces and the case was split in two.
If it was 4x4, both case halves are worth money, unless they are broke.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If it was 4x4, both case halves are worth money, unless they are broke.
It was 4x4, but I'm pretty sure the tranny was the reason the truck was in the yard. It looked like someone pulled it from the truck and found out it had exploded.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,004 Posts
It was 4x4, but I'm pretty sure the tranny was the reason the truck was in the yard. It looked like someone pulled it from the truck and found out it had exploded.
Or they needed a specific part out of it... I've seen that before. New case halves are at least a couple hundo. And nothing can be wrong unless they are cracked or the bearing cups are damaged (not likely). Worth a look if it's there next time imho.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Oh, I'll be back there sometime soon and I'll check it out again. I wasn't after a ZF, but noticed it when I was walking through. Had it been intact though, I may have lugged it home with me for a swap down the road. I'm sure a ZF will make it into my 78 at some point, just not right now.

There's a 79 F-250 2wd that has a factory front sway bar that I'm considering putting some effort into retrieving. It looks like I'll have to unbolt the bottom of the front springs at least in order to get it. It bolts to the frame and then the end links bolt to brackets that bolt onto the i-beams where the springs and radius arms meet. It's a huge cluster of stuff right there. I think it would be nice on my F100 and the 2wd sway bars seem to be uncommon in the yards, especially of this vintage.

821 - 840 of 858 Posts