Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

861 - 880 of 913 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
Nice score! I thought I got a good deal on one when I paid 150 from an individual. Well still good, but not compared to just $50!
Well this one has $100 worth of work to get that scabby truss off haha. So it’s about even

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,217 Posts
My favorite yard says they're finally opening back up to the public next week. I went to one of the bigger yards a little further away two weeks ago -- first trip in 3 months -- and found absolutely nothing of interest, despite several huge stacks of crushed cars indicating lots has been moved through since my last visit over the summer.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Last trip I got a tailgate lock cylinder for $5. Actually since I had my kids with me I got this whole pile for $5. $10 to the local locksmith and now the cylinder works with my ignition key so I can stop carrying two keys for the Bronco.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Last trip I got a tailgate lock cylinder for $5. Actually since I had my kids with me I got this whole pile for $5. $10 to the local locksmith and now the cylinder works with my ignition key so I can stop carrying two keys for the Bronco.
I love finding things that arent automotive! Found a perfectly good Bucksnort (Tennessee?) beer coozie once. And tools. Though dirty undies occasionally show their stinky faces...

Reactions: cwegga

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,248 Posts
I love finding things that arent automotive! Found a perfectly good Bucksnort (Tennessee?) beer coozie once. And tools. Though dirty undies occasionally show their stinky faces...
I’ve found an old acoustic guitar and a class ring before. Different vehicles on different days. A guy at work put me in contact with someone at the school it came from and they managed to return it to its owner. The guitar cost me about $5, then with another maybe $10 in strings, and I had a working instrument. Although I’m not a guitar player, I can be entertained when people who can come visit.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,248 Posts
I went today, because its my saturday thing. As I rounded the corner, first thing I spot is a 92-96 supercab. As I get closer I see front bumper cutouts and eddie bauer trim. I'm thinking 96 5.8. I get there and find that both doors are locked. As I'm considering prying open the sliding rear window to get in, I notice that the hood is already popped, so I open it to find a MAF 5.0. Someone already started taking the intake tubing off, but it was all there, from the throttle body to the air box. That went into my wheelbarrow.
I notice that there's a brand new water pump sitting on the passenger seat. The white marker on the windshield says 'good transmission'. Looking closer, I notice that the previous owner tried to replace his water pump and broke off two bolts in the block and probably just gave up, said 'F this!' and took it to the junkyard. I would have at least kept the new water pump and returned it to the store. Oh well, I left if locked in the cab. I considered getting the chrome grille, which was in really good shape, but the lady at the desk looked it up in her book and said $32. Not today, thank you.
Further away, I spot another truck from my era. Its an F-Superduty with a powerstroke diesel. Opening the cab, I find the ZF shifter sitting on the seat, and thru the hole in the floor notice that the transmission is gone. Why not take the shifter if you're keeping the tranny? Oh well, its mine now. $5 for all of it.
That 88 F250 with the small block ZF is still there, taunting me each week. I considered starting to get it ready to pull, but went home instead.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Think the "we buy junk cars" junkyards pretend to be private buyers and contact people with broken vehicles as I see a lot of vehicles with new in the box parts "saved for the next owner".

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,217 Posts
Its an F-Superduty with a powerstroke diesel. Opening the cab, I find the ZF shifter sitting on the seat, and thru the hole in the floor notice that the transmission is gone. Why not take the shifter if you're keeping the tranny? Oh well, its mine now.
That's reminiscent of one of my best finds, my '96-97 F-series tranny dipstick & tube. Someone had already pulled the tranny and left the dip/tube sitting in the cab, sparing me a lot of work getting to the bellhousing bolt.

Think the "we buy junk cars" junkyards pretend to be private buyers and contact people with broken vehicles as I see a lot of vehicles with new in the box parts "saved for the next owner".
That's an interesting theory. Here at least, the main yard in the area has a buyer they use. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer uses tactics like that.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I'm pretty sure this yard doesn't use buyers. It was a mom and pop until they were bought by a larger yard several years ago. But the old people still run it, more less, and its very laid back.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Its an F-Superduty with a powerstroke diesel. Opening the cab, I find the ZF shifter sitting on the seat, and thru the hole in the floor notice that the transmission is gone. Why not take the shifter if you're keeping the tranny? Oh well, its mine now. $5 for all of it.
Should have hydroboost brakes... the boosters arent available new anymore and are worth taking. And the dual outlet port CII PS pumps are rare too.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I’ll have to look for that next time.

Aren’t the pedals specific for the hydro boost?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
Man,,,
I haven’t been to a boneyard since the early ‘80s. I’m going to start hitting them. I need a winch bumper/push bar and some misc. interior trim.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
I’ll have to look for that next time.

Aren’t the pedals specific for the hydro boost?
Yes they are, but normal pedals can be adapted. The difference is the distance from pivot, to the booster rod mounting hole. It can be 'fixed' pretty easy.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
^^^ that's where the ol puking smiley face would've come in handy...

With the price of steel so low, yards are holding on to junkers.

Wouldnt surprise me to know my 96 cclb powerstroke wasnt still sitting in the demolition company's lot, who threw the burnt husk in a dumpster

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
At least when steel is low, they crush less! The yards here dont do clean sweeps like that. Though one has a stack similar, though no where near as many stacks. But their yard is also still full.

I've noticed the influx of new junkers in the lots has dwindled since covid appeared.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Right angle. A friend and I were having a discussion and we believe in 6 years there will be very little obs trucks in yards to get oem parts from. If you see anything 97 and older and you need the parts get it now! Eventually it's going to be like looking for a 1978 bronco in the junkyard. After a vehicle becomes 30 years old many of the yard don't want to hold onto them because there are so few of that year and model still on the roads so the parts don't end up selling.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Prowling through the JY today getting new rear armrests, I took pictures of a couple of things I've been wondering about.

One 2nd gen Bronco has this dealy box sitting behind the drivers seat. I'm guessing it's a rear heater of some sort. Was that a factory option or a common dealer install or is it some crazy one off?

The hoses come out of the side panel right under the speaker cutout.

I also took a picture of this brush guard. I'm not convinced I want one, but it would be a cool period correct one for my Bronco. It is only bent a little bit and the chrome is pretty good, though I'd probably paint it.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I don't think Ford would put out a rear seat heater that looked like that! The chicken wire fan guard is a nice touch though.

861 - 880 of 913 Posts