Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
247 Posts
Well, I took a walk through my local JY to get a few small bolts and screws and figured I'd take some pictures for you guys since not everyone is blessed with an old Ford heavy local junkyard. You should be able to click to embiggen any of these cromulent pictures.

I still haven't decided to get that one brush guard, but here's a variety I walked past in my recent trip.

That last one is the one I should probably buy, but I'd really prefer to have just the push bars like in this picture:

(but those are on a bullnose)

Here's a few of the Broncos that are in the yard. There are a few 2nd gens, mostly bull nose and a few brick and aero.

Here's what I went there to get:

Except it doesn't fit dentsides currently. I think my brain told me it was on a dentside because that section is mostly older trucks. Anyway, I test fitted it on a 78-79 and it hits the grill shell. I could probably make it fit with custom brackets, but I'm not sure I want to do that, so I put it back on the truck and left it for someone else.

I did come across this cool blue bullnose bug deflector along the way, it only has a couple of scratches and a little crazing from age.

These two Broncos both have rear bumpers, probably with those rare factory bumper brackets, and the little sheet metal piece that goes in between the bumper and body.

Here's a Panorama from the back corner of the Ford area.

I took the picture from the X. The two red areas are Ford truck/Bronco gold. The one on the right is for 4x4s and is about half or more Ford trucks and Broncos, the area on the left is pretty much all Ford trucks, mostly bump and dent sides with some bullnose and some older.

And of course through all this because I was rushing to get done, I forgot to check the radius arms on the 2nd gens for those dual shock mounts @simrokkzz is looking for.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
Well, I took a walk through my local JY to get a few small bolts and screws and figured I'd take some pictures for you guys since not everyone is blessed with an old Ford heavy local junkyard. You should be able to click to embiggen any of these cromulent pictures.

I still haven't decided to get that one brush guard, but here's a variety I walked past in my recent trip.

That last one is the one I should probably buy, but I'd really prefer to have just the push bars like in this picture:

(but those are on a bullnose)

Here's a few of the Broncos that are in the yard. There are a few 2nd gens, mostly bull nose and a few brick and aero.

Here's what I went there to get:

Except it doesn't fit dentsides currently. I think my brain told me it was on a dentside because that section is mostly older trucks. Anyway, I test fitted it on a 78-79 and it hits the grill shell. I could probably make it fit with custom brackets, but I'm not sure I want to do that, so I put it back on the truck and left it for someone else.

I did come across this cool blue bullnose bug deflector along the way, it only has a couple of scratches and a little crazing from age.

These two Broncos both have rear bumpers, probably with those rare factory bumper brackets, and the little sheet metal piece that goes in between the bumper and body.

Here's a Panorama from the back corner of the Ford area.
View attachment 163078

I took the picture from the X. The two red areas are Ford truck/Bronco gold. The one on the right is for 4x4s and is about half or more Ford trucks and Broncos, the area on the left is pretty much all Ford trucks, mostly bump and dent sides with some bullnose and some older.
View attachment 163079

And of course through all this because I was rushing to get done, I forgot to check the radius arms on the 2nd gens for those dual shock mounts @simrokkzz is looking for.
That yard reminds me of L&L Classic Auto here in southern Idaho. It's full of really old stuff and they charge an arm and a leg for it. Cool pics.

If they have a dentside truck with rear bumper brackets for a contour bumper (the same bumper that comes on the Broncos and the same as the ones in your pics) I'd totally buy them. lol. They are longer than the Bronco brackets and no yards ever seem to have them. I'd love to put a rear contour bumper on my F100 and then get a 73-77 front bumper and put it on as it currently has a 78/79 on it for whatever reason. Dang PO's.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
Also, call me crazy, but I think that Gen 2 Bronco that has the melted top would be a good candidate as a donor for a custom top. I've seen guys cut them down, clean them up, and put them on to cover all of the mounting points. Looks like the fire already did most of the trimming for it.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
247 Posts
If they have a dentside truck with rear bumper brackets for a contour bumper (the same bumper that comes on the Broncos and the same as the ones in your pics) I'd totally buy them. lol. They are longer than the Bronco brackets and no yards ever seem to have them. I'd love to put a rear contour bumper on my F100 and then get a 73-77 front bumper and put it on as it currently has a 78/79 on it for whatever reason. Dang PO's.
I'll keep an eye out. Pretty much every truck I passed had a step bumper. I was looking. Is there a way to modify the Bronco brackets to work? Obviously there are a couple sets of those.

Also, call me crazy, but I think that Gen 2 Bronco that has the melted top would be a good candidate as a donor for a custom top. I've seen guys cut them down, clean them up, and put them on to cover all of the mounting points. Looks like the fire already did most of the trimming for it.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check it out again next time I'm there. I hadn't thought of that. They would probably let it go cheap since it's thrashed. Their pricing is generally ok. It can be hit or miss depending on who you get at the register and how they are feeling. I've picked up a tailgate lock cylinder for $5 and a jack handle and tailgate latch for $30. The high end hasn't been too userious, but is high enough that I don't just grab a ton of stuff and try to buy it if I don't need it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'll keep an eye out. Pretty much every truck I passed had a step bumper. I was looking. Is there a way to modify the Bronco brackets to work? Obviously there are a couple sets of those.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check it out again next time I'm there. I hadn't thought of that. They would probably let it go cheap since it's thrashed. Their pricing is generally ok. It can be hit or miss depending on who you get at the register and how they are feeling. I've picked up a tailgate lock cylinder for $5 and a jack handle and tailgate latch for $30. The high end hasn't been too userious, but is high enough that I don't just grab a ton of stuff and try to buy it if I don't need it.
You can use Bronco brackets, but they have to be lengthened. I'm not really a fabricator, so it's not much of an option for me. If I took a set to a shop to have them modified I'm pretty sure it'd cost me out the ace because they'd have to have a bumper in hand and take time to get it right. Plus it might just get a big fat N O due to liability. But, yes, I've seen guys on FTE fab their own using Bronco brackets.

I've also seen a thread on here of someone who did something similar to the hard top in order to make a soft top. I'm looking for the thread.

Found it! lol. Didn't take long. Check this out. This was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic you posted.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Holy Goldmine Batman! I could spend days there

Reactions: reptillikus

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,339 Posts
Went to yard this morning to get a couple of small things. Saw this train wreck before I made it back to my usual spot. Looks like maybe a dodge? No idea, but it had a unit bearing, 4 link, 8 lug front axle that had been on fire. But those stacked blocks....

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Went to yard this morning to get a couple of small things. Saw this train wreck before I made it back to my usual spot. Looks like maybe a dodge? No idea, but it had a unit bearing, 4 link, 8 lug front axle that had been on fire. But those stacked blocks....

View attachment 163109

View attachment 163110

View attachment 163111
The tall block is factory. The lower one looks maybe aftermarket. Though the rust pattern on both is the same so? My 08 F250 has a 4" block from the factory.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
Also just noticed that lower block is broken...

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,339 Posts
Oh, another interesting thing. I pulled the tunnel cover off of that 87-88 F250. Looks like someone replaced the transmission. Extra webbing makes me thing ZF S5-47. I didn’t scrub the dirt to verify, though.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
Oh, another interesting thing. I pulled the tunnel cover off of that 87-88 F250. Looks like someone replaced the transmission. Extra webbing makes me thing ZF S5-47. I didn’t scrub the dirt to verify, though.
View attachment 163121
That is most certainly a zf S5-47! 96 and 97 only I believe.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
A little more incentive to pull it now, I guess.
Yeah, but look at it this way... All those fasteners will have been loosened previously, so removal should be easier. The danged crossmember bolts are what always slows me down. Once, i'd forgotten my saw, and couldnt get the crossmember off. After some coercing of the trans tunnel, I dropped it out in front of the crossmember. I really enjoyed the time I pulled one from a truck with a body lift! So much more room to work

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Dang, I might have to hit up this JY this week. I haven't been there in a minute and it seems like they have some new arrivals. I have to go on a round about way to see if they have anything new, by looking up parts on car-part and see if anything in their yard pops up and then identifying the vehicles myself as to whether or not I've seen it before.

Check out this sweet piece of blue oval. lol. Stacks. Air horn. Visor. Hood scoop. That brush guard, chin spoiler, and of course the Peterbilt emblem. This is my Mad Max vehicle right here. lol. I hope it's still there when I go and largely untouched.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Man, I would love to have that thing pop up in a local yard!!! I need a lot of bumpside parts.
From my search on car-part there's like 6-7 bumpsides in that yard. Some have been there longer than others and probably don't look like the pics anymore.

921 - 940 of 1010 Posts