Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
Yeah, well I wish they were dentsides. lol

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
From my search on car-part there's like 6-7 bumpsides in that yard. Some have been there longer than others and probably don't look like the pics anymore.

I could really use a set of the hoodside emblem/marker light assemblies off one of them bumpsides. Dont care if f100, F250 or F350. Whichever the chrome is best on.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Here is proof you should get used obsolete parts for these trucks while you can. Among other good finds from salvage yards/ ebay/ fsb members/locals.

Here is a junkyard inventory of a major yard that only takes auction vehicles with paperwork or title only vehicles. This is ALL makes not just ford.
6 Results: 1920-1977; 57 yr range
6 Results: 1978-1984; 6 yr range
13 Results:1985-1987; 3 yr range
6 Results: 1988-1989; 2 yr onward
14 Results:1990-1991 <small peak
18 Results:1992-1993
57 Results:1994-1995
81 Results:1996-1997 <obd2 peak
130 Results:1998-1999
194 Results: 2000-2001
220 Results: 2002-2003
274 Results: 2004-2005
--------
23 Results: 1920-1996 Ford; all models

Yard #2 only takes auction vehicles with paperwork or title only vehicles. This is ALL makes not just ford.
2 Results: 1920-1977; 57 yr range
6 Results:1978-1984; 6 yr range
8 Results:1985-1987; 3 yr range

8 Results:1988-1989; 2 yr onward
16 Results:1990-1991; <small peak
23 Results:1992-1993;
52 Results:1994-1995;
79 Results:1996-1997 <OBD2 peak
136 Results: 1998-1999
198 Results: 2000-2001
241 Results: 2002-2003
260 Results: 2004-2005

--------
32 Results: 1920-1996 Ford; all models

Yard #3 only takes auction vehicles with paperwork or title only vehicles. This is ALL makes not just ford.
2 Results: 1920-1977
7 Results: 1978-1984
0 Results: 1985-1987
4 Results: 1988-1989
14 Results: 1990-1991 <small peak
16 Results: 1992-1993
25 Results: 1994-1995
53 Results: 1996-1997 <obd2 peak
91 Results: 1998-1999
130 Results: 2000-2001
160 Results: 2002-2003
130 Results: 2004-2005
--------
21 Results: 1920-1996 Ford; all
models

(no HD 97 F250 F350 in any of the yards to skew 97 model number)

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,336 Posts
I jumped on board the M/T swap parts hoard!

Not a bad first haul. I paid $135 total, but have ~$190 in unpictured parts to sell. Everything there came from a '96 F150, with the exception of the PRND21 delete panel which came from a '92 F150 (it was next to a F250 and I got them mixed up, thinking the '92 was a F250 with the tranny and shifter in it still; couldn't find the ZF markings then realized it's probably a M50D), and the throttle body from a '86. It's the "B" version with no holes in the butterflies, to help with idle for M/T's, but I haven't looked to see if it'll interchange with my '92. If not, I'm sure someone doing a M/T swap on a pre-'92 EFI will find it useful.

Between the two F150s, there was basically one full set of everything. One had the cluster/tranny, the other had the pedals/column/floor panel.

That was my first time pulling a pedal set or tranny crossmember. It's not a small amount of work! I left behind the upper/end brackets that the crossmember tucks under. Hopefully, they're the same on mine (haven't compared yet), otherwise I need to go back and figure out how to get a socket up in there to loosen them. It took a lot of prying to get the crossmember out as pictured.

I also need to research whether the '96 steering column can be converted to the '92-93 setup. I know at least some of the years can be converted to no airbag. I've got it to play with now, at any rate.

Anyone know if the M50D floor pan shifter cutout is the same as for ZF5's?

Now to find a transmission, driveshafts (forgot to check the '92 F150), PCM, pedal covers...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well shoot, it looks like I need to go back for the crossmember upper pieces. The A/T and M/T crossmembers are nothing alike in shape, so those aren't carryover items. I'm bringing every 18mm tool I can!

It's unclear if the '86 TB will work. RockAuto shows '88-93 as the range for my '92, while BBK's are listed as '87-96. I don't know why the first year of EFI would be different offhand, but the inconsistency makes me think they're all pretty much the same.

It looks like the steering column will work, although I may need to search for some wiring changes, e.g., a '93 non-airbag harness.

p.s. For those pulling pedal sets for the first time, bring a 9/16" deep well socket. I managed to get three of the four nuts off with a box wrench, but it took forever. I was able to just barely start the top left one at a sharp angle, but I could tell it was close to rounding off the nut, so I gave up and went back to the truck for more tools. Shoulda just done that in the first place and saved a bunch of time.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,339 Posts
It looks like the steering column will work, although I may need to search for some wiring changes, e.g., a '93 non-airbag harness.
if you don’t want to mess with wiring, you might be better off just pulling the trim from yours and removing the shifter from it, then install the manual column’s trim to make yours a manual column.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
if you don’t want to mess with wiring, you might be better off just pulling the trim from yours and removing the shifter from it, then install the manual column’s trim to make yours a manual column.
That's my Plan B. (I think that approach is mentioned in the same linked thread as the "B" throttle body.) I figure if that proves to be the better route, at least I've got the proper trim pieces now from the M/T column. I had to get the column off to remove the pedals, so I might as well take it with me. :)

Do you know if there are any other differences between the two columns? Like, does the incorporation of the A/T lever weaken the overall structure to the point where it's worth switching to the M/T one? I think it's mostly tilt columns that have reliability issues, but I think I remember reading something about a linkage rod in the A/T columns going bad.

Edit: One reason I'd like to use the full M/T column is the clockspring setup ought to make it easier to run an aftermarket (smaller) steering wheel. Dissecting it just now, it doesn't look too difficult to work with. The big wire bundle is for the multi-function switch. The airbag bundle is just 2 wires for the airbag (would get clipped), three for the horn, and one for the ignition. If those can be adapted to the old column's connectors and the old multi-function switch swapped over, that should address all of the wiring.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,614 Posts
Well, I took a walk through my local JY to get a few small bolts and screws and figured I'd take some pictures for you guys since not everyone is blessed with an old Ford heavy local junkyard. You should be able to click to embiggen any of these cromulent pictures.

I still haven't decided to get that one brush guard, but here's a variety I walked past in my recent trip.

That last one is the one I should probably buy, but I'd really prefer to have just the push bars like in this picture:

(but those are on a bullnose)

Here's a few of the Broncos that are in the yard. There are a few 2nd gens, mostly bull nose and a few brick and aero.

Here's what I went there to get:

Except it doesn't fit dentsides currently. I think my brain told me it was on a dentside because that section is mostly older trucks. Anyway, I test fitted it on a 78-79 and it hits the grill shell. I could probably make it fit with custom brackets, but I'm not sure I want to do that, so I put it back on the truck and left it for someone else.

I did come across this cool blue bullnose bug deflector along the way, it only has a couple of scratches and a little crazing from age.

These two Broncos both have rear bumpers, probably with those rare factory bumper brackets, and the little sheet metal piece that goes in between the bumper and body.

Here's a Panorama from the back corner of the Ford area.
View attachment 163078

I took the picture from the X. The two red areas are Ford truck/Bronco gold. The one on the right is for 4x4s and is about half or more Ford trucks and Broncos, the area on the left is pretty much all Ford trucks, mostly bump and dent sides with some bullnose and some older.
View attachment 163079

And of course through all this because I was rushing to get done, I forgot to check the radius arms on the 2nd gens for those dual shock mounts @simrokkzz is looking for.
Ok I just cried and wet myself all at the same time....I want to move there!!!!!

Reactions: cwegga

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
@fodder, you can remove the shifter tube from your column, and then swap to the non-airbag wheel while youre there. All the parts will swap onto your column.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Yes, the M5R2 and ZF tunnel covers are the same. Nice haul! The front drive shaft from the manual trans truck is the one you want.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I jumped on board the M/T swap parts hoard!

Not a bad first haul. I paid $135 total, but have ~$190 in unpictured parts to sell. Everything there came from a '96 F150, with the exception of the PRND21 delete panel which came from a '92 F150 (it was next to a F250 and I got them mixed up, thinking the '92 was a F250 with the tranny and shifter in it still; couldn't find the ZF markings then realized it's probably a M50D), and the throttle body from a '86. It's the "B" version with no holes in the butterflies, to help with idle for M/T's, but I haven't looked to see if it'll interchange with my '92. If not, I'm sure someone doing a M/T swap on a pre-'92 EFI will find it useful.

I also need to research whether the '96 steering column can be converted to the '92-93 setup. I know at least some of the years can be converted to no airbag. I've got it to play with now, at any rate.

Anyone know if the M50D floor pan shifter cutout is the same as for ZF5's?

Now to find a transmission, driveshafts (forgot to check the '92 F150), PCM, pedal covers...

nice haul

I have been looking for a clutch pedal assembly.... you can replace the bushings... add some spray paint... and get $150 all day long.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
@fodder, you can remove the shifter tube from your column, and then swap to the non-airbag wheel while youre there. All the parts will swap onto your column.

I re-read your conversion thread last night as a refresher, and also to see if I could determine whether the columns themselves differ. From a lot of old stuff from Steve83, it sounds like all the columns other than tilt ought to be the same? Meaning, removing the A/T shifter pieces may prove simplest. Either route means eliminating a fair bit of wiring if I want it as clean as possible...airbag stuff for the M/T and shifter tube stuff for the A/T. (I already have the non-airbag wheel installed, being a '92.)

Yes, the M5R2 and ZF tunnel covers are the same. Nice haul! The front drive shaft from the manual trans truck is the one you want.
Sweet, thanks. Someone had already removed it for me and set it aside, so I couldn't leave it behind on the off chance it's correct! Yeah, I'm on the lookout for any M/T front driveshaft and a Bronco M/T rear driveshaft, although the latter sounds like a bit of a unicorn. I'll probably have to buy that new if it's the last thing once I've sourced everything else. Wanna part with one of those S5-47's? ;)

nice haul

I have been looking for a clutch pedal assembly.... you can replace the bushings... add some spray paint... and get $150 all day long.
What year is yours? The '86 I got the TB from had a pedal set in it still.

I was last at the yard 2-3 wks ago and saw the '92 I pulled the pedal set from tucked in a corner, very difficult to see or get to. I pulled the front bumper for a spare set of mounting bolts for my winch bumper build...and noticed the pedal set. I hadn't settled on doing the swap yet, but I kept thinking about it since then and it was bugging me not knowing if someone else had found the truck by now! With my tranny acting funny of late (seems settled now), and never having figured out the post-MAF conversion hard shifts (code 625 lengthy mystery) or cold start stalling in reverse, now seems like the right time. I was worried the shifter would make my custom jump seat a problem, but I looked at ZF photos this past week and realized it sits very far forward in the floor pan and should work okay.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
MT f150s are everywhere in my yards so pedals of all years are fairly easy to come by.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was going to go the route of getting a whole new clutch pedal assembly... and actually purchased one for 190$ on eBay… two days later I get the Email that the order was cancelled because they couldn't locate the part. I think I might have to hit the yards and see if I can find one to rebuild. Thanks for the motivation.

It was for my 1996.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
I re-read your conversion thread last night as a refresher, and also to see if I could determine whether the columns themselves differ. From a lot of old stuff from Steve83, it sounds like all the columns other than tilt ought to be the same? Meaning, removing the A/T shifter pieces may prove simplest. Either route means eliminating a fair bit of wiring if I want it as clean as possible...airbag stuff for the M/T and shifter tube stuff for the A/T. (I already have the non-airbag wheel installed, being a '92.)
i couldnt find any difference in the 92-97 columns, other than the obvious tilt/non-tilt. Im told the F450 columns have better bearings in them (never confirmed that), and as far as i know thats the only difference and theyre all interchangeable. And then the steering wheels are all interchangeable as well, as long as you use the correct harness (airbag or non-airbag) for the wheel.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i couldnt find any difference in the 92-97 columns, other than the obvious tilt/non-tilt. Im told the F450 columns have better bearings in them (never confirmed that), and as far as i know thats the only difference and theyre all interchangeable. And then the steering wheels are all interchangeable as well, as long as you use the correct harness (airbag or non-airbag) for the wheel.
That's good to know, thanks. I already buggered the M/T column just now trying to drill out the lock cylinder. Stupid release pin seems to be frozen and wouldn't depress, even when I got to the point of being able to turn the lock cylinder with a screwdriver. So, removing the A/T shift tube and using the M/T shroud is probably my path of least resistance now!

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
I was out looking for some parts on my list and wasn't finding much. I strolled past a '96 Mountaineer with a 5.0 and it had the fabled GT heads, so I grabbed those. Took hours to do it. I don't know if the "newer" Broncos with EFI are as much of a pain in the ass as a Mountaineer/Explorer, but that was such a cluster I don't think I'll do it again if I find more GT heads. lol. I'm so used to spacious engine compartments from the 70's trucks and having very few wires and hoses.

941 - 960 of 1010 Posts