Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,336 Posts
I hear ya, I passed by a '96 V8 Explorer for several weeks, constantly amazed no one had pulled the engine apart yet for the GT40 heads. I finally brought the wheelbarrow and heavy duty tools and went at it, and probably spent half a day at the yard. Like you, I'm not sure I would do it again even if I found a pristine looking set.

The Explorer's exhaust manifolds are significantly more difficult to unravel, as they twist every which way to fit the space, and make some of the bolts hard to find in the process. Other than that, the only real difference between it and the EFI Bronco engine bay is the space around the engine. The Explorer has narrower accessory brackets (popular for Ranger swaps) to squeeze in, and there's not much room between that and the radiator.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Working on the 5.0 explorer/mountaineers is not fun at all. I sawzalled and beat with a sledge hammer everything in the way to remove this engine and 4r70w setup. Hint you must sledge hammer the AC box out of the way and sawzall the AC system out to remove the heads. This gt40p I left behind someone tore down to the short block. Guess they got lucky on the intake and head removal.

Most yards cut the cats out so u don't need to remove the manifold till you remove the head!

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
247 Posts
Also, call me crazy, but I think that Gen 2 Bronco that has the melted top would be a good candidate as a donor for a custom top. I've seen guys cut them down, clean them up, and put them on to cover all of the mounting points. Looks like the fire already did most of the trimming for it.
I liked your idea and checked it out when I went back today. Sadly, I think that top is too far gone. On what was the far side in my previous pictures it's just disintegrating and doesn't even go all the way back to the back corner anymore.

I was successful in my main reason for going there though. I got the lug wrench my rig was missing. At least I got one from a bullnose, I'm not sure if they changed them over those years. Now all I need to be able to change a tire (since I just baught tires and have an actual spare now) is to make a block of wood and secure it under hood for a jacking pad. The stock jack doesn't quite reach with big tires. Here's the new lug wrench nestled into it's new home.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
I liked your idea and checked it out when I went back today. Sadly, I think that top is too far gone. On what was the far side in my previous pictures it's just disintegrating and doesn't even go all the way back to the back corner anymore.

I was successful in my main reason for going there though. I got the lug wrench my rig was missing. At least I got one from a bullnose, I'm not sure if they changed them over those years. Now all I need to be able to change a tire (since I just baught tires and have an actual spare now) is to make a block of wood and secure it under hood for a jacking pad. The stock jack doesn't quite reach with big tires. Here's the new lug wrench nestled into it's new home.

That sucks. I figured there might be some use for that top than just letting it turn to dust. Guess not.

I hear ya, I passed by a '96 V8 Explorer for several weeks, constantly amazed no one had pulled the engine apart yet for the GT40 heads. I finally brought the wheelbarrow and heavy duty tools and went at it, and probably spent half a day at the yard. Like you, I'm not sure I would do it again even if I found a pristine looking set.

The Explorer's exhaust manifolds are significantly more difficult to unravel, as they twist every which way to fit the space, and make some of the bolts hard to find in the process. Other than that, the only real difference between it and the EFI Bronco engine bay is the space around the engine. The Explorer has narrower accessory brackets (popular for Ranger swaps) to squeeze in, and there's not much room between that and the radiator.
Working on the 5.0 explorer/mountaineers is not fun at all. I sawzalled and beat with a sledge hammer everything in the way to remove this engine and 4r70w setup. Hint you must sledge hammer the AC box out of the way and sawzall the AC system out to remove the heads. This gt40p I left behind someone tore down to the short block. Guess they got lucky on the intake and head removal.

Most yards cut the cats out so u don't need to remove the manifold till you remove the head!
Yeah, I was able to get them off without going to town on the a/c stuff. It just took a lot of time working the whole thing like a rubiks cube. I didn't bring nearly enough tools for the job as I hadn't planned on removing anything serious like this. I had to get creative and even used a piece of exhaust pipe I found as a cheater bar to break free the exhaust bolts.

I'm not sure how many miles are on the heads, but based on what I saw in the cylinder bores it didn't look that wore out. I couldn't feel any ridge along the top of the cylinder bores with my finger nail.

Now I've just got to figure out with I'm going to do with these heads. lol

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Now I've just got to figure out with I'm going to do with these heads. lol
Slap em on the 351M. Surely they are better than the stock boat anchors. I pulled a set of '71 2v Cleveland heads for just that reason.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,029 Posts
Ah, I need to update my stats. The 351M is no longer in my possession. Not sure how well Windsor heads on a Cleveland block would work out. Cleveland heads on a Windsor block though, yes.

I was originally intending on rebuilding the 302 in my F100 with some GT40 heads, but never came across any. I found a 1970 460 not long after that and decided that would be my eventual swap, but after having a 460 in my Bronco for a little bit I'm not sure having two engines with that kind of mpg is a good idea. My truck is more or less my DD and gets easily double the mpg that my Bronco does, maybe more.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,725 Posts
Ah, I need to update my stats. The 351M is no longer in my possession. Not sure how well Windsor heads on a Cleveland block would work out. Cleveland heads on a Windsor block though, yes.
I pulled the 351m from your signature.

If cleveland heads work on a sbf, the other way should work too? And gt40s would be better than the factory M heads id think.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I pulled the 351m from your signature.

If cleveland heads work on a sbf, the other way should work too? And gt40s would be better than the factory M heads id think.
I can't remember the difference between the engines, but I think one set of heads has passages for coolant and the others don't. Something like that. I know one of the benefits of the Cleveland heads is the canted valves, so that may be why you don't hear about people swapping windsor heads onto Cleveland blocks. I think those are considered the worst of both worlds as the other two together (clevor) is the best of both.

When I was pulling those heads I had been looking for intermittent wipers in all of the 80's Ford trucks and Broncos. It looked like someone had gone through all of them and just taken the wiper switches and nothing else as they were all busted open in exactly the same manner. I was super annoyed. Anyway, I went to a different yard today before work and was having the same luck, then I found a couple. I was like "I better leave some for others" then the spirit got me - hallelujer - and I ended up pulling a total of like 9 or 10 before going home. There are more... and I will return for the rest.

They are a very popular swap for bumpsides and dentsides as they are plug and play for both (bumpsides need a 2 speed wiper motor for it to work) and I think bumpsides just need a very small cosmetic modification for things to look right on the dash (switch shaft is long). I've put one in my Bronco and have another for my F100 that's been sitting a long long while. I'm way too lazy to have cars and trucks as my hobby...

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,339 Posts
I went about pulling the driveshafts off that 88 F250 that has the ZF-5S-47 in it today. I bought the front one because I can't find the other manual trans front that I need for my bronco. Its somewhere in the garage. Oh well, I'll have one for next time.

While I was in the cab unbolting the top two bolts from the transfer case, I noticed that both transmission mount bolts, or the pad that they thread into, part of the extension housing, are broken. Not sure if it happened in the wreck that brought it to the yard, or if it was like that before, but they're broke. I'm sure a skilled welder can repair it, but I left it. I got as far as removing all the bolts for the transfer case and unbolting the starter before I gave up for the day.

I also scored a pair of nearly new looking tailgate 'stop cables'.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
I went about pulling the driveshafts off that 88 F250 that has the ZF-5S-47 in it today. I bought the front one because I can't find the other manual trans front that I need for my bronco. Its somewhere in the garage. Oh well, I'll have one for next time.

While I was in the cab unbolting the top two bolts from the transfer case, I noticed that both transmission mount bolts, or the pad that they thread into, part of the extension housing, are broken. Not sure if it happened in the wreck that brought it to the yard, or if it was like that before, but they're broke. I'm sure a skilled welder can repair it, but I left it. I got as far as removing all the bolts for the transfer case and unbolting the starter before I gave up for the day.

Good call on leaving it. Though i do know of a zf5 case for sale on CL.

Im going up to the yards today. We'll see what the cat drags home... Lol

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
944 Posts

I’ve got a buddy that did that to their zf5. They had just re-built their trac-loc, but they didn’t loctite or properly torque the cross pin retainer. Cross pin came out doing 80mph down the freeway, and the shock of that twisted the tubes in the 8.8 and ripped that pad off the zf...... I hoakied it back together with angle iron bolted off the webbing of the case....

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
Had a pretty good haul today.

Off a 91 F-Superduty, I pulled the hydroboost brake unit and lines, matching automatic brake pedal assembly, and diesel tachometer cluster. Luckily someone had done most of the work on the inside of the cab for me already!

Off an 80 (79 build date) f150 I pulled a brand spanking new/reman 2bbl carb. Was on a 351M. Took the FORD letters off the hood and a b-pillar XLT badge. Out of the bed I took the foreward driver side in-the-bed spare tire carrier. A pretty rare option. In the cab i found a 99% perfect set of woodgrain gauge and radio bezels. Still had the factory 2-post radio. XLT Ranger badge on the radio bezel. Also snagged the digital clock that goes in the upper slots of the radio bezel.

In the back of some random econoline I found an awesome set of mudflaps with ford and a cartooned early 70s econoline. Perfect condition! Ill post some pics tomorrow.

Snagged a 460 efi intake horn for a member here too, free of charge.

I missed an f series cab visor by a day or so, and i forgot to look for a 10.25 sterling long spline yoke. And i didn't even make it to the second yard I wanted to visit. Damn detours added some frustrations too.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
How much do the 300 six EFI exhaust manifolds typically go for? There's one in the JY here and I'm trying to decide if I want to put any effort into retrieving it and flipping it. I keep hearing about them on the forum, but have no idea.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
How much do the 300 six EFI exhaust manifolds typically go for? There's one in the JY here and I'm trying to decide if I want to put any effort into retrieving it and flipping it. I keep hearing about them on the forum, but have no idea.
I dont think they are worth flipping, personally. Used i wouldnt pay more than 100 or so for a set. And they are what 20 a piece or so at the JY? Plus the hassle of removing them. I pulled a set at the yard and the intake was already gone. It was enough work to get em off the exhaust pipes and the EGR off.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not sure on their cost at that particular yard. I was just making the rounds the last time I was there and making mental notes of things that might be worth grabbing the next time. That yard is getting picked pretty clean of the easy stuff long before I ever arrive, that's for sure.

Have any recommendations on the best way to remove some front coils without getting myself killed in the JY? There's a couple 79 F250's with front sway bars and the brackets for them sit under the coils and go on the I-beams. I keep putting it off, but I'd like to at least get one of them for myself.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
(y)

Off a 91 F-Superduty, I pulled the hydroboost brake unit and lines, matching automatic brake pedal assembly, and diesel tachometer cluster. Luckily someone had done most of the work on the inside of the cab for me already!

Whats your plans for that hydroboost setup?

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
Not sure on their cost at that particular yard. I was just making the rounds the last time I was there and making mental notes of things that might be worth grabbing the next time. That yard is getting picked pretty clean of the easy stuff long before I ever arrive, that's for sure.

Have any recommendations on the best way to remove some front coils without getting myself killed in the JY? There's a couple 79 F250's with front sway bars and the brackets for them sit under the coils and go on the I-beams. I keep putting it off, but I'd like to at least get one of them for myself.
Is the truck supported by stands or on its own weight? If supported by stands on the frame, just unbolt everything. There wont be any compression on the springs.

If the truck is on its own weight, supported by stands under the axle, or a bad spot such as the radius arm; hopefully they have a hoist you can borrow. Hoist the front of the truck up and put stands under the front frame horns. Basically this job is easiest and safest with the suspension hanging at full droop.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
(y)

Whats your plans for that hydroboost setup?
Its going in my 88 F250 crawler project. I have another HB setup for a manual transmission, but im gonna run a c6 in the crawler. I need to compare the dimensions of these two F-Superduty booster dimensions with the E-450 booster I also have. Sucks these HB units cant be bought new anymore.

Reactions: reptillikus

·
Addicted to Junk
12,725 Posts
Had a pretty good haul today.

Off an 80 (79 build date) f150 I pulled a brand spanking new/reman 2bbl carb. Was on a 351M. Took the FORD letters off the hood and a b-pillar XLT badge. Out of the bed I took the foreward driver side in-the-bed spare tire carrier. A pretty rare option. In the cab i found a 99% perfect set of woodgrain gauge and radio bezels. Still had the factory 2-post radio. XLT Ranger badge on the radio bezel. Also snagged the digital clock that goes in the upper slots of the radio bezel.

In the back of some random econoline I found an awesome set of mudflaps with ford and a cartooned early 70s econoline. Perfect condition! Ill post some pics tomorrow.

I missed an f series cab visor by a day or so, and i forgot to look for a 10.25 sterling long spline yoke. And i didn't even make it to the second yard I wanted to visit. Damn detours added some frustrations too.
Some pics

20200802_115126.jpg

20200802_115155.jpg

20200802_115203.jpg

20200802_115212.jpg

20200802_115221.jpg

20200802_115231.jpg

20200802_115242.jpg

20200802_115251.jpg

Reactions: GetBent4x4
961 - 980 of 1010 Posts