Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1001 - 1005 of 1005 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Please select any prize from the bottom row.

The only thing that's questionable on them is the rust on the head pivots and one of the mirrors has loose stuff inside it when you rotate it around. Other than that they look pretty good. If I planned on towing with my Bronco, which I don't, I'd absolutely use these. They're definitely period correct for my 78. I'll have to mess with them some more later on. I just grabbed some pics before I headed out to work. I haven't worked the mirror heads.
Interesting, it looks like you can still get the parts. Extend-A-Mirror Kit, 2 Plastic Blocks, 2 Bars-23-0173-KIT I bet you could just retrofit the extend-a parts onto your current type 9 mirror if you wanted to avoid the broken/rusty bits.

Can I talk you out of one of those wiper switch setups? That lean forward to toggle the wipers is really annoying because the switch is juuuuuuust barely out of reach.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
Interesting, it looks like you can still get the parts. Extend-A-Mirror Kit, 2 Plastic Blocks, 2 Bars-23-0173-KIT I bet you could just retrofit the extend-a parts onto your current type 9 mirror if you wanted to avoid the broken/rusty bits.

Can I talk you out of one of those wiper switch setups? That lean forward to toggle the wipers is really annoying because the switch is juuuuuuust barely out of reach.
That doesn't surprise me. It seems like one of those "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" kind of products. I saw another setup just like it on a truck newer than the one I pulled those off of. I think it was a 92-96 Ford with similar looking mirror arms.

Yeah, I could probably send one your way once I go through them and test them out. At this point there'll all bad and good at the same time. Schrödinger's wiper switch if you will.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
I also make it a point to grab these specific turn signal flashers. I don't think they were ever OEM, but I see them fairly often. When I first got my green truck about 6-7 years ago I was going through the electricals and it had some bad sockets, the usual for these old Fords. I also had a bad flasher and I tried one from a parts store and a couple from my other vehicles. They all seemed to flash way too quickly. Not quite hyper flash speed, but close. These are the only ones I've found that have flashed for me at a "Goldilocks" pace and they click very loudly, which I like. They're also see through which is neat I guess.

This one is in my Bronco, but I have one in my green truck as well.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
I also make it a point to grab these specific turn signal flashers. I don't think they were ever OEM, but I see them fairly often. When I first got my green truck about 6-7 years ago I was going through the electricals and it had some bad sockets, the usual for these old Fords. I also had a bad flasher and I tried one from a parts store and a couple from my other vehicles. They all seemed to flash way too quickly. Not quite hyper flash speed, but close. These are the only ones I've found that have flashed for me at a "Goldilocks" pace and they click very loudly, which I like. They're also see through which is neat I guess.

This one is in my Bronco, but I have one in my green truck as well.

Those look like the LED compatible one I bought from: 12V Heavy Duty Electronic Signal Flasher Relay

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, these aren't really from a JY. I recently helped a friend move and acquired these that way. Anyone want an OBD I reader, or a Haynes manual that covers all big Broncos except my '79?

Would that code reader work on a ‘94? If so, please zip me a conversation.

1001 - 1005 of 1005 Posts