Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 857 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,196 Posts
I pulled a tach speedo cluster from an F150 and found a saginaw bracket in an E350 with a 5.8.

I saw a 96 (I think) 4.9 F150. Is the intake worth anything to someone looking to ad MAF to an older 300?

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,196 Posts
I got a saginaw pump and bracket (with tensioner) from a 93 E350 with a 7.5L. That and 70lbs of scrap iron cost me $40.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Carbed 460 Saginaw Setup?

I found this in an old (VIN says 1984) E350 box truck today. I didn't pull it because, at the time, I wasn't sure exactly what engine it was on.

front of engine

door tag

If this is worth anything to anyone, let me know and I can grab it.

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
a while back i got two saginaw pumps & brackets, a couple overhead console displays (circuit boards only), and a straight dash pad for pretty cheap. then i was able to trade one pump & bracket to a local for a welder he was getting rid of.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I got a nice looking set of Dana 50 locking hubs for $10 today.

Here lately, the junkyard has been getting several F250s with 5.8/ZF setups, but they are all two wheel drive. And when I think I'll just get the shifters, they either have the bezel/boot tore up/cracked, or the shift knob is taped on.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I thought I got super lucky today. Found a 1995 F150 with MAF. I bought the computer and intake hose/air box for $40. Got home, and after doing some research, found that its for a 4R70W transmission.
HUG2 SMD-219

·
Registered
267 Posts
ABS off-road = no stopping...

ask me how i know!!

i went barreling down a hillclimb backwards because i couldn't stop at the top with ABS. the damn pedal just vibrated no matter how hard i pressed it.. luckily it was a stick shift and i dropped the clutch to avoid hitting the trees at the bottom at 40+mph backwards.

another time i was coming down a sand wash, there was a fallen tree, i hit the brakes, but nothing happened. i went through the tree. i removed the ABS from that truck after that.

ABS is only for people who can't drive, panic, lock up their brakes and try to steer around the obstacle infront of them.

i know some people love ABS and think it stops better than non abs, safer, blh blh. not true. and i'm sure someone will flame me for my hating on ABS but i'd much rather not have it. just my opinion :)

/end abs rant.

as for junkyard upgrades.. look for a good set of locking hubs if you don't have them already. just remember to take the nuts and everything outward from the bearing.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU...ABS breaks are dangerous.. I disabled them on the 1987 bronco and the 2005 equinox... whey will not stop a car in an emergency... i will avoid all ABS systems very unreliable .. the only ABS i ever saw work flawlessly were on a 1999 accord and 1999 civic.( no false alarms no fighting the breaks ) beyond that TRASH Stay alive disable ABS best wishes T

·
Registered
159 Posts
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU...ABS breaks are dangerous.. I disabled them on the 1987 bronco and the 2005 equinox... whey will not stop a car in an emergency... i will avoid all ABS systems very unreliable .. the only ABS i ever saw work flawlessly were on a 1999 accord and 1999 civic.( no false alarms no fighting the breaks ) beyond that TRASH Stay alive disable ABS best wishes T

Not flaming, just saying that if you took an EVOC course or something along those lines, you would learn to love ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Pulled a set of dual sun visors and the matching auto-dimming mirror, and wiring harness, out that same 95 F150 that I took the MAF computer out of last weekend. Also found another ZF shifter with a decent boot.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,509 Posts
First off, ABS--it deactivates when 4WD is engaged, and does so for a reason, an off-road vehicle does not have all four wheels turning at the same rate. So the ABS would be confused anyway. SO, ABS is for on-paved-road driving. Now, having said that, I had a problem in Eddie's RWAL system, whereby normal driving would cause the rear brakes to stay engaged, and make them drag. So, since the base brakes work correctly without the ABS active, I disconnected the controller, and the problem went away. As a mechanic and diagnostic tech, I do not recommend that other owners go disabling any safety equipment on their vehicles. But I can't force other owners not to do it, either. If you do so, you do so with the full knowledge of taking full responsibility for you and your vehicle, as I did with Eddie.
Second, when you find a 'find,' if you can afford it, GET IT. I can't tell you how many times I saved my bacon with pull-my-pud finds, because I needed the part years later.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
OR maybe it wasn't. After doing some more research, the shape of the chamber and the several "T"s cast on it have convinced me that its a 300 head. Perhaps sometime in its past, someone put the 300 head on it, or they used the lower compression heads in 1974, which is the year that the ID decal on the valve cover shows. Oh well. Like I said, for $15, it was worth a shot.
Can't believe its been almost a year, but today I did get a 240 head. Last week at the JY I spotted an old 'bumpside' F100. I couldn't read the casting number under the head, but the VIN said it was a 240. So today I went, and believe it or not, all the bolts to the manifolds etc came out easy without having to use a breaker bar. Even the exhaust pipe flange bolts came off easy. Tag on the ignition coil also said 240. When I got the head off, kidney bean shaped chambers.

Was kind of a shame that I took it, though. Truck was trashed, but the engine appeared to be in decent shape. I snagged the kickdown linkage for the C4 auto and considered trying to see if they'd let the intake and exhaust go with it if it was bolted to the head, but decided if I ever use it on an engine, I'll have different manifolds anyway. It also started raining. I put a few floor mats over the exposed cylinders and closed the hood in case anyone needs a block/rotating assembly.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,133 Posts
I found the elusive ignition coil cover yesterday. I'd heard of them, but never seen one. I haven't cleaned it up and test fitted it yet, but it looks like it should mount up the same across the years. (I have a makeshift brace in the way, since I couldn't run the support leg with aftermarket headers). With how leaky all the cowl drip rails tend to be, the cover ought to be good for the health of the coil and associated wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I pulled a Saginaw pump/bracket setup off an 80's van with a carbed 300. Also got all the brackets for the york AC compressor, but left the actual compressor in the van (since I have several yorks at home). Was easy to convince them that I needed all the brackets since they sort-of all work together.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,940 Posts
Man I could use a score like that^^^^

Just scrapped an old dual 1.5 gal tank air compressor for the tanks to use as an onboard air system.

As a side note, this morning I had my usual radio station on, and it cut out and was playing 100.3 FM the buzz out of Des Moines... thats 250 miles from my house!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
... it cut out and was playing 100.3 FM the buzz out of Des Moines... thats 250 miles from my house!
ionospheric radio skip - cool - how long did it last?

101 - 120 of 857 Posts