Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1303 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,065 Posts
Learned something the other day on the FordSix website, the ZF5 was in fact offered in F150 and Bronco in 88, maybe more years. I claimed they were not, and had to eat crow. Everything ive ever read said the ZF was not available in a half ton. A guy there has one in a bronco, factory original.

Trans code is Z for the '88 half tons. In an '88 F250 or F350, the code is W. There is even a 2wd 88 f150 in a local JY with one behind a 300... Which brings up the last point, it was only available behind a 300!

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Office ruler

Bronco tag
Wood Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting

Brochure showing only 4.9 available with the HD 5 spd.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Monochrome

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Learned something the other day on the FordSix website, the ZF5 was in fact offered in F150 and Bronco in 88, maybe more years.
There was an 88 bronco on Facebook marketplace a while back. Guy said it was a 351/5spd. Said it was all factory but I didn’t believe him. Maybe he was right?

I found myself a manual transmission crossmember from a 95 F150 today. It was pretty easy to remove as the truck was upside down.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,236 Posts
I found myself a manual transmission crossmember from a 95 F150 today. It was pretty easy to remove as the truck was upside down.
Now I know the trick to removing those damn things...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,065 Posts
There was an 88 bronco on Facebook marketplace a while back. Guy said it was a 351/5spd. Said it was all factory but I didn’t believe him. Maybe he was right?

According to the brochure, only the 300 got the option... Maybe the trans was factory but the 351 had been swapped in place of a 300 lol! All sorts of things could be had with the right amount of $$$$$

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
That's amazing they only gave the option on 1988s and 300 engines. 87-88 had a lot of unique options. Push button AC control; gray painted grille inserts instead of black; dual arm rests on the bucket seats. 87-early 88 has unique door panel design.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,995 Posts
Dont forget the tophat hubs too. And the tails are different for 87-88; was it the '89 or '90 model year Ford changed them to have smaller clear backup lenses? I dont remember anymore.

My 88.5 got the dual armrest seats and the tophats, and the '89 HVAC controls. Its actually kind of a pain; i have the 88 EVTM but its based on the early-88 trucks, so some of it is wrong. I had to get the 89 EVTM for the correct HVAC diagrams.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dont forget the tophat hubs too. And the tails are different for 87-88; was it the '89 or '90 model year Ford changed them to have smaller clear backup lenses? I dont remember anymore.

My 88.5 got the dual armrest seats and the tophats, and the '89 HVAC controls. Its actually kind of a pain; i have the 88 EVTM but its based on the early-88 trucks, so some of it is wrong. I had to get the 89 EVTM for the correct HVAC diagrams.
Think the tail lights changed over in 1990. Also in 1990 the type 9 swing away mirrors had a change of design where they sat higher in the window opening by having the top mounting bracket flipped over with the mounting screws underneath.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,065 Posts
I took a picture of this last weekend but forgot to post it. I’m not a Cleveland person, but it looks like one to me, sitting in the junk engine pile. What’s odd is that it had long tube headers and a 2 barrel carb. ???

View attachment 182759

View attachment 182760
Ive seen a 351C with a 2bbl carb many times. Though not with long tubes! It could be a 351M/400 too as they look identical minus the taller deck.

Those heads would be worth a glance to see if they are the rare closed chamber 2v heads.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Ive seen a 351C with a 2bbl carb many times. Though not with long tubes! It could be a 351M/400 too as they look identical minus the taller deck.

Those heads would be worth a glance to see if they are the rare closed chamber 2v heads.
The weirdness is the 2 barrel / header combo. I just figured if someone was looking for power, they’d have added an intake and 4 barrel before headers. It’s also entirely possible that it’s an M. I paid no attention to the bell housing. I should have said 335 instead of Cleveland. That’s the ford V8 that I’ve spent the least amount of time looking at (anything after 2004 excluded)

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
A few weeks back, I spotted a carbed 300 sitting in the engine pile. Last week when I went in, there was a different person at the desk. When I asked how much for an intake manifold, she said $100, so I didn’t get it. Today when I went back, the regular lady said $25, so I pulled it. Got the carter carb included, but it’s probably only good for parts. How can you tell if this was a ‘feedback’ one or not? Does that huge EGR setup have anything to do with it?

Here it is on the motor

And here it is in the back of my truck, resting on the manual transmission crossmember I picked up a few weeks ago.

I also spotted an axle that had plain caps over the hubs. The under leaves and 6 lugs made me think maybe this was from a Wagoneer.

I got the caps and the pucks.

Finally, one more completely random find was the very large metal hook. Here it is compared to my 35” tire.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
That hook reminds me of this.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,065 Posts
A few weeks back, I spotted a carbed 300 sitting in the engine pile. Last week when I went in, there was a different person at the desk. When I asked how much for an intake manifold, she said $100, so I didn’t get it. Today when I went back, the regular lady said $25, so I pulled it. Got the carter carb included, but it’s probably only good for parts. How can you tell if this was a ‘feedback’ one or not? Does that huge EGR setup have anything to do with it?

Here it is on the motor

View attachment 183400

And here it is in the back of my truck, resting on the manual transmission crossmember I picked up a few weeks ago.

View attachment 183401

I also spotted an axle that had plain caps over the hubs. The under leaves and 6 lugs made me think maybe this was from a Wagoneer.

I got the caps and the pucks.

View attachment 183402

View attachment 183403

View attachment 183404

Finally, one more completely random find was the very large metal hook. Here it is compared to my 35” tire.

View attachment 183405
Looks like a carter YFA pre-feedback carb with AC idle adjuster solenoid

Nice find on the drive slugs. Ive seen a couple sets on 70s dodges with NP203 transfer cases.

That hook reminds me of half of a set of logging tongs. Though idk why that would be in Iowa... Maybe something to do with river barges from the MO, MS, or IL rivers that are nearby

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Looks like one of my yards finally got some new dentside inventory. Looks like another truck pulled out of a field or something. Of course, there's nothing I'm really interested in on this truck. Bummer. At this point, I have a very short list of things I need/want/willing to store.

·
Registered
727 Posts
tailgate don't look to shabby. Little dent but easily fixable.

back in highschool when I lived in Spring Tx my dad got a two tone blue and silver '79 ford 3/4 ton long bed with a 460 in it for me to drive around. That thing was a gas and oil hog. It seemed to drink oil or leak don't know which maybe both. Any way it would take about a quart per tank of gas. had the big semi type tires too. I liked driving it though. Solid truck.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
tailgate don't look to shabby. Little dent but easily fixable.

back in highschool when I lived in Spring Tx my dad got a two tone blue and silver '79 ford 3/4 ton long bed with a 460 in it for me to drive around. That thing was a gas and oil hog. It seemed to drink oil or leak don't know which maybe both. Any way it would take about a quart per tank of gas. had the big semi type tires too. I liked driving it though. Solid truck.

Yeah, if I was just collecting all the good parts I could find for these trucks, I'd go grab that tailgate for sure.

Sounds like that 460 had issues. lol. I've had a few and none of them went through oil like that, especially when they were fresh.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,065 Posts
Looks like one of my yards finally got some new dentside inventory. Looks like another truck pulled out of a field or something. Of course, there's nothing I'm really interested in on this truck. Bummer. At this point, I have a very short list of things I need/want/willing to store.

Those round headlight buckets and bezels are worth pulling if you go...

Wanna pull that bed and ship it next day air to me LOL? JK. But seriously, that truck looks like a show truck compared to my poor 78 f150. The only straight and non-swiss-cheese panels on mine are the doors and hood.

1261 - 1280 of 1303 Posts