Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1414 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
I can't remember if I mentioned it in the cat theft thread, but the guy who bought my old thermactor cats said late '90s / early '00s Honda cats are worth $350+, and that was a couple years ago. So, at least some of the older stuff has plenty of the precious metals in it to be targeted.
That is true but they are worth a lot more since 2019/Covid. Some of the top cats are worth $1500 per vehicle. Age of vehicle doesn't matter.

There should only be 2 reasons a catalytic converter is removed from a vehicle. 1. It's a salvage vehicle that will be parted out and scrapped. 2. It's a non functioning catalytic converter that will not pass emissions.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,597 Posts
That is true but they are worth a lot more since 2019/Covid. Some of the top cats are worth $1500 per vehicle. Age of vehicle doesn't matter.
That was my point. They were worth that much a couple years ago. They're surely worth more now.

There should only be 2 reasons a catalytic converter is removed from a vehicle. 1. It's a salvage vehicle that will be parted out and scrapped. 2. It's a non functioning catalytic converter that will not pass emissions.
Well, there's a third option that's sort of a 2b: Old stuff upgraded to better modern stuff. That's why I sold my old 1- and 2-way setup, having ditched the thermactor system and gone to a 3-way.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,235 Posts
Picked more trim off the 88 Bronco at the pull&pray. Couldn't get one screw out of the right side seat belt cover. Wanted to get the gas fill tube also, but the screw head on the hose clamp at the tank was turned up and towards the back. Dropped one wrench trying to get on it and it went - you guessed it - inside the frame rail next to the gas tank. Oh well, got these parts. Got the emblems the other day but forgot to show 'em. Think I'm going to put the smaller one that came off the dash on my radio bezel after I paint the letters.
Wood Line Rectangle Auto part Carmine

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,808 Posts
Think I'm going to put the smaller one that came off the dash on my radio bezel after I paint the letters.
That'll be cool. Ive pulled a few bullnose bezels with various factory emblems, even an XLT ranger emblem once. That area on my bezel was blank, but is now full of switches!

Reactions: SRWillis

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Had good success today:

Got one of the 351/460 gas tank vent valves. Broke the first one - luckily refined the technique on the broke one and salvaged the good one.

Other nice find was a fuel pump module from a ‘94 F-150. It was actually just laying on the ground next to the dropped tank! I’m unsure how it’ll work in a 33 gallon tank for my EFI conversion, but I have access to good fabricators if the pump needs to be in a different position. It and the above valve are about $250 new, so for $25 it’s worth a flier!

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,262 Posts
I could probably start a new thread here, but didn't really know if it was necessary, but I'm not a junkyard digger, we just don't have very good ones without driving over 100 miles away (Jackson, MS), but my 86 XLT i THINK has a knock...regardless it's pretty tired engine and i want to throw a good used roller block engine into it. What should I expect to pay for a running engine from one of these? I can find them on ebay all day long Shipped for around 750, which seems reasonable considering freight costs and me not having to spend a day making a 200 mile round trip, but if it's cheap enough it may be worthwhile. I also may can snag a good y-pipe while im at it.

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,623 Posts
I could probably start a new thread here, but didn't really know if it was necessary, but I'm not a junkyard digger, we just don't have very good ones without driving over 100 miles away (Jackson, MS), but my 86 XLT i THINK has a knock...regardless it's pretty tired engine and i want to throw a good used roller block engine into it. What should I expect to pay for a running engine from one of these? I can find them on ebay all day long Shipped for around 750, which seems reasonable considering freight costs and me not having to spend a day making a 200 mile round trip, but if it's cheap enough it may be worthwhile. I also may can snag a good y-pipe while im at it.
It's going to vary by state and yard to yard. One yard where I live, it'd be under $250 for a complete engine, intake to oil pan and without accessories and you'd have to pull it yourself and hope nothing was wrong with it. Another yard here it'd be more like $500 for the same thing, but they'd pull it and I'm pretty sure they at least do a compression check to get an idea on the engine's condition before pulling it. Both have short warranties, like a 30 day warranty, so get it running quick.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,262 Posts
$500 is the low end of what I've seen.
This is why i rebuilt the engine in my other bronco myself...i did it for the same price, but it wasnt knocking either, and im not certain this one is, the exhaust leaks so bad from so many places and it leaks like a sieve. Guess ill just call them and find out for sure...i'd pay 500 for a running one that was already pulled. Ill just keep my eyes open on my local yards, sooo many rides had the 5.0 one is bound to show up eventually.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I paid $650 for my complete JY 1993 5.0. When I say complete, the only thing I had to add was the starter to have a runner (had it been going into a 1992+ rig). It had the complete engine wiring harness, intake, sensors, distributor, power steering pump, alternator, motor mounts, the whole 9 yards. So $750 shipped from eBay sounds like a good deal if it has good compression and has most of the important stuff.

You can use any year of 5.0 in your 1986. You will just have to use your 1986 upper intake, sensors, and a steel distributor drive gear if you use a block manufactured after 1992 (for light truck, not sure on passenger car maybe @BigBlue 94 might know the cutoff dates).

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,808 Posts
You can use any year of 5.0 in your 1986. You will just have to use your 1986 upper intake, sensors, and a steel distributor drive gear if you use a block manufactured after 1992 (for light truck, not sure on passenger car maybe @BigBlue 94 might know the cutoff dates)
Mustang 5.0s got roller cams somewhere between 85 and 88 i believe. Or at least some of them. Im not really sure. But good luck finding a 5.0 stang at the JY. They are rare as hens teeth around here.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,369 Posts
I’ve never seen a 5.0 stang in my local yards…. But lots of 5.0 t-birds, explorers, crown vic/LTD’s…. And they got roller cams too

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
Addicted to Junk
16,808 Posts
I’ve never seen a 5.0 stang in my local yards…. But lots of 5.0 t-birds, explorers, crown vic/LTD’s…. And they got roller cams too
The only car with 5.0s that is plentiful here is exploders. And most have v6s. Lots of pickups with 5.0s though too. Even saw a ranger one time with one swapped in.

1361 - 1380 of 1414 Posts