Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lincoln 225 arc(stick) welder. Works well, lead are in good condition. I'm asking $125/offer. Call Ricky at 386-233-1007. You may email me with you're # and I'll call you back.
http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/835795429.html

emailed him and asked more

It's just an older model Lincoln 225 amp arc welder. I requires 220volt input. These are very well made and last for many years. They have copper windings unlike the new ones, which makes them heavier duty.
dont know alot but from what ive searched it seems like id want something with the 220 volt. the only thing i dont know much about is the ac/dc stuff.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
Stick isn't as popilar since it's not as versital and not as easy to learn. It's a good one to have around for welding thicker stuff though and worth it if you could find one for under $100.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i sent him an email and offered 100$ but if not ill probaly get it anyways. im taking welding 1 at the local college and ive done more stick welding than wire feed but im still not that good at it.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have one and I love it. For welding thick stuff (1/2" or around there) its great. With the thicker stuff I actually prefer a stick to wire feed. You can contrul the bead and depth of the penetration a lot better.

Its a pretty damn tough and reliable welder too. This is mine after a trailer fell on it.

The welder took that hard crash and supported the entire thing off the ground.
All I had to do was take the back off and seperate the shroud from the fan a bit and it still works great.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not sure what ill be doing i just want to get it while i can and just practice with it alot and master my skill and be a professional welder like rednek:whiteflag:whiteflag

my dad recently got a 51 willys truck and the bed is rotted out in a some spots i guess. i take it this would be too much to weld up a patch?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Ive got a slightly older version of the same model that I bough off Craigslist for $100, and its treated me pretty well. Ive actually never used a wire-feed, and it seems that learning on a stick was probably the way to go (I learned on a buddy's Miller 220). The thinnest Ive tried welding was 1/16" and it did just fine. If body work is your main goal, you might want something a little smaller.

my dad recently got a 51 willys truck and the bed is rotted out in a some spots i guess. i take it this would be too much to weld up a patch?
On something that old, it will probably do just fine. Body panels back then were a lot heavier than nowadays.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

It will be difficult to do a good job with it if you're new to welding. Set it on the low settings and use some 3/32" 6013 rods and give it a try.

The best thing for thin sheet like body panels are the small MIG's. Those cheap Lincoln 120 volt gasless MIG welders are great for that.

·
Official FSB beer drinker
1,534 Posts
Ditto. Iv'e welded a tin can to a door skin with one of those. Couldn't have done that any other way.

Talk about stitch welding.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i wouldnt expect to do a good job anytime soon i figure id find scrap metal if possible and just make random stuff and go from there. ive gotten alot better i just have a harder time getting comftorable and keeping a steady pace more than anything.
californiamonkey those half doors are sweet!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Use the Lincoln Electric rods. Ther are pretty forgiving with how they burn. The Electrode melts up inside the coating so it makes it so you can just drag the rod without shorting it out. They do it better then rods from the other manufacturers that make good rods. I say good rods because they weld better if you know what you're doing. But if you new to it they are easier to use.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok he said he'll take 100$ for it so im gonna pick it up monday. can i just get those rods at norco or is it something i need to order? thanks for the input/advice everyone, much appreciated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.