Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a S42 off CL.. guy was parting out a f250. Ones I did find from carpart.com they want 600 and up for a used one. I've been looking in yard for few years.
For those that have em, was it worth it over the mazda?
I'll swap it in when wife goes for family reunion, new clutch/slave as well for my smallish 302..
Have a guy I can get a 92 300 from for 120$ complete, wondering what to do with it, I like my 302.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no comparison between two, the ZF is a much better transmission. Best of all the swap was easier than I thought it was going to be.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Picked up a S42 off CL.. guy was parting out a f250. Ones I did find from carpart.com they want 600 and up for a used one. I've been looking in yard for few years.
For those that have em, was it worth it over the mazda?
I'll swap it in when wife goes for family reunion, new clutch/slave as well for my smallish 302..
Have a guy I can get a 92 300 from for 120$ complete, wondering what to do with it, I like my 302.
People say the Mazda shifts more like a car and the ZF is obviously a truck transmission. The ZF is the stronger transmission but it's the shifter stuff that breaks in the Mazda, not the actual transmission. I've always heard bad things about working on the ZFs (german engineering) and never heard much about the Mazda (maybe because everyone just swaps in a ZF).

If you Google problems for either you'll get lots of results for syncros with shifters coming in 2nd which can be interpreted as saying that most problems with either of these transmissions is the dumbass operating it.

If your 302 is stock and you don't intend to build it go for the 300. Stock vs stock the 300 is better by a mile or more but the 302 can be built cheaper.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Mazda was rebuilt 5 years ago. Prev owner trashed 3rd gear. Its held up pretty good so far. Towing and pulling with everything else in between. Front seal leaked and I fixed that easy. I have the zf6-650 in the fummins low gear is crazy but I get 19mpg combined on it. 3rd syncro is going out, hope that won't be to expensive.
The zf5 I'm hoping will help me more with low speed crawl paired with my 4:56 and 33"
Have some steep hills on our property and climbing in low on idle she bucks a lot to maintain rpm, lower ratio hoping will allow me to walk up hill vs feathering throttle.

I have a built 302, reving it up is opening up a can of surprise for cars around me, never drove a 300 wondering if it same as Cummins. All down low and runs out at around 2500 rpm. Found a 95 2wd f150 for cheap with Mazda 5spd that needs motor. Thinking of it as means of making quick cash.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My Mazda was rebuilt 5 years ago. Prev owner trashed 3rd gear. Its held up pretty good so far. Towing and pulling with everything else in between. Front seal leaked and I fixed that easy. I have the zf6-650 in the fummins low gear is crazy but I get 19mpg combined on it. 3rd syncro is going out, hope that won't be to expensive.
The zf5 I'm hoping will help me more with low speed crawl paired with my 4:56 and 33"
Have some steep hills on our property and climbing in low on idle she bucks a lot to maintain rpm, lower ratio hoping will allow me to walk up hill vs feathering throttle.

I have a built 302, reving it up is opening up a can of surprise for cars around me, never drove a 300 wondering if it same as Cummins. All down low and runs out at around 2500 rpm. Found a 95 2wd f150 for cheap with Mazda 5spd that needs motor. Thinking of it as means of making quick cash.
The 300 is like a Cummins....4bt.

The built 302 with proper gearing (anything above 3.08) will be faster all around than the 300. Stock vs stock the 302 will only be better when you can sit in it's power band and take advantage of of the extra horsepower.

On paper I think the Mazda can have the ZF beat if you've got a low enough rear end (those mus be steep hills if 4.56 isn't low enough) so that the final drive ratio in 1st is similar because then the Mazda has the advantage of 1st not being a granny gear.

If you think you're gonna make quick cash by selling a 300 then you had better reconsider how much you want to make or how fast you want to make it. They're not desirable to build and they pretty much always outlast the truck. They can be swapped into Ford trucks and other Ford trucks. That doesn't sound like a recipe for high demand to me.

They go for about $150-$500 for a running engine/trans/transfer depending on if it's just the engine or if it's all three with accessories and I often see those ads reposed for months depending on how far up his/her ass the seller's head is. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a running 300 with accessories. Any running smallblock $500 or below won't stick around on my local CL(s).

There's at least two 300s and one SBF Mazda trans that have been popping up on CL in Maine for at least two months, nobody wants a $500 engine when the whole parts truck is $800 or less and can be made into a pickup trailer.

Another thing to be aware of is that the kind of people swapping around used stock 80s and 90s truck engines would often rather spend the afternoon at pick-n-pull if it saves them $30 compared to buying it off CL.

Since we both live in salt states (where there are more power-trains than solid trucks to put them in) I'd bet that the situation is similar where you are.

If you have space to store it you could probably list it forever and ever in the classifieds here and on FSP and someone will want it eventually, but the 300 doesn't exactly fly off the shelves and I think you'd be a fool to pick up a truck with one with the intention of parting it out for fast cash. It's been my experience that the only way to reliably move stuff is to always offer a smoking deal, and you'd need to get a smoking deal on the parts truck for that to even be possible with a 300 since they're cheaper than the v8.

If the truck is a 96, you should be able to sell the engine and/or entire wiring harness for the truck on FSP pretty easily.

If it's a 95 with MAF then I'll buy the computer and wiring harness myself.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for insight on the f150. Yes it is a 95 model and 2wd. It got my attention because its 2wd in Colorado and could be a CA truck with mass air. But could also be be from Tx and fed truck seller is asking 850 for it. The 300 is supposed to have 110k miles complete for 120$ but from your advice I'll pass on em both though. I am happy with 302 and its cheaper to fix/replace.

We have some acerage and I want to take bko up the hill/mountain to plateu. Yes it is very steep in some places. Ive learned the bko will climb slopes I have difficulty walking. But with it being a obd2 and my engine mods the idle valve well suffers to keep up with intake requirement hence it jerking to maintain idle. That's where I'm hoping lower gears will allow mm motor to crawl easier. Explorer intake it screams with rpm but suffers low end. That's my trade off.

It is not Maf, must be fed truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts