Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys I think I might have screwed myself being a major cheapo.

I've been doing my super slow ZF swap for about 4 weeks now. The guy I bought the trans from also threw in a "slightly used" clutch and flywheel. I wasn't as worried about the flywheel but I've never even considered using a used clutch.... well against my better judgment (and since I work for a state that has no budget and therefore doesn't pay me) I went ahead and put it in. That said, I'm not convinced the clutch is my only problem.

I got everything back together on Saturday. I fired it up and even at idle the damn thing vibrates likes crazy. It feels like the truck is going to rattle itself apart. My first thought was the flywheel. Did the guy give me the wrong flywheel? Is there a difference between 351w & 302 flywheels? I guess I just figured an SBF flywheel was an SBF flywheel.

Could the clutch cause this? As I was going through the slave cylinder bleeding process the pedal felt good but after running the engine for a about 30 seconds the pedal wouldn't go all the way to the floor as it did before. The only time this has happened to me before was on my Superduty when one of the springs in the clutch disk came out and got lodged between the pressure plate and disk. In this case though, it's not making any noise that would suggest that.

So anyway, I'm gonna go buy everything new (when the state decides to pass a budget) unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated :thumbup

·
Registered
562 Posts
351 and 302 flywheels are balanced differently and they are NOT interchangeable.

Most likely, that's what your problem is. A bad clutch would not cause the kind of problem you are having.

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts
351 and 302 flywheels are balanced differently and they are NOT interchangeable.

Most likely, that's what your problem is. A bad clutch would not cause the kind of problem you are having.
:stupid

Except for older (like early 80s or older) 302, they have the same balancing as the 351. But that doesn't apply to the OP, I just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That's what I was suspecting... thanks for the quick response, man. The only thing I'm wondering about is that the pedal doesn't have the travel it did before I ran the engine. Suppose I should just quit dicking around and replace the clutch as well.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I would see no advantage to not putting in a new clutch kit... They aren't even that expensive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would see no advantage to not putting in a new clutch kit... They aren't even that expensive.
If you're currently not getting paid, everything is expensive. I'll probably just wait til this god forsaken state passes a budget and get the clutch then. Just sets me back a couple weeks, which pisses me off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.