Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it has been a while since I have been active on here.
I am collecting for my ZF5 swap for my 1996 Bronco. I am not finding definitive answers for a couple of my questions.
What vehicle donor parts need to come from the same generation as my 96 BKO? I know the clutch pedal assembly needs to be the generation of my BKO but what about the transmission tunnel cover? Also as I understand it the cross member needs to be from 87 to 96 manual vehicle which could either have the M5OD R2 or the ZF5 ?
?
1. Pedal assembly
2. Transmission Tunnel Cover
3. Transmission Cross member

Thank you

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,975 Posts
'92-96 pedal set and rear driveshaft (unless modifying yours or getting one custom built). Tranny tunnel cover and crossmember are the same for M5OD and ZF5, but the crossmember needs to come from a 4WD vehicle, stamped "4x4 M5OD 4.9 / 5.0 / 5.8". Steering column can be modified to remove the A/T components, but finding a M/T column shroud and PRND12 blanking plate will make things look more complete.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does the Trans tunnel have to be out of the same generation? Or can it be out of a 87 thru 91 and it will fit my 96 floor?

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
On the topic of the tunnel cover, the ZF5 is a tall transmission.

When I put the ZF5 into my '85, I originally tried to use the tunnel cover from an '81 Bronco, which already had a manual transmission. The ZF5 hit the cover and wouldn't let it sit flat.

This is why the later year cover is much taller. Even if the carpet is in place, you should be able to feel the tall sharp edges of the tunnel cover when looking around in a junkyard. It's noticable.

Also, older covers will have a hole for the transfer case shifter, since it exited up near the transmission shifter. You probably won't want that for yours.
But, it's why I had to cut a hole in mine:

The front driveshaft can be from any 5 speed truck. Bronco, F-150, 250, 350, etc. since they were all the same length. The rear is Bronco specific.
But, worst case, a driveline shop can just relengthen your current one to whatever you need.

Definitely get the cross member for a 5 speed, and DO NOT forget the dropdown brackets that go with it. They're curved to swoop back and connect with the crossmember. These will allow you to reuse the same upper bolt holes. There's no room to remove these bolts without separating the body from the frame, so you don't want to mess with them if you don't have to.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,675 Posts
Make sure the tunnel cover comes out of a 5 speed. 87-91 could still have a t18, which MIGHT have a shorter cover still. Im not sure.

Otherwise, i think its all been covered.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the reply's. I am picking up a 1988 F250 4x4 5.0 M5OD this weekend for really cheap. I will not be able to get my pedal assembly or steering column but I will get the rest of the parts. I will do a full build thread on the BKO when I am closer to finished. My 3 month build has now turned into 2 years.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the pictures, they are always appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts