Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to DOUBLE CHECK here with you guys before i drop $1500 on a tranny...
i'm having to replace the the zf s5-47 trans i swapped in several months ago and want TO MAKE SURE that there will be NO ISSUES if i replace it with the zf s5-42 trans!!
same hydrolic clutch thow out bearing, same shifter same everything?!!
is there any reason why i should hold out and spend extra $$ on the s5-47 over the s5-42??

thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
As far as I know when looking up a parts reference for the clutch parts they are the same between 42 and 47.

Ok maybe a pitch but considering I no longer work for them I have no financial ties.

I highly recommend LUK clutches. While I didn't work for LUK, I did work for the parent company and sometimes would visit the other companies troubleshooting manufacturing problems they had. I have seen the development and product testing they do on their clutches. If it will live thru that kind of torture it will last you a long time.

Part# 07-171 Clutch disc Pressure plate and throw out bearing.

For other parts these will be the numbers.
http://catalog.schaeffler-aftermarket.us/detail.phtml?make=Ford&model=F-350&year=1995&engine=&repset=07-117&id=3893549&query_displacement=5.8L&qualfier=

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I just looked at the slave cylinder pics and noticed they are showing an internal release.

Does yours have the internal or external release?

I may have to do some more digging for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
good!!
thanks guys!
To expand, the 42 is the older version, and the 42 stands for 420 input power (torque?) capability. the 47 came along in late 95/early 96 I believe and has different (slightly) internals and can handle, you guessed it, 470 input power (torque?). So the case is the same and the slave is the same (except the newer one requires longer mounting bolts I've heard) so that's why the 47 is higher, but its still a direct swap.

I just put a 95 s42 into my 89 with 351 and its awesome so I'm sure it will do fine in yours too...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
To expand, the 42 is the older version, and the 42 stands for 420 input power (torque?) capability. the 47 came along in late 95/early 96 I believe and has different (slightly) internals and can handle, you guessed it, 470 input power (torque?). So the case is the same and the slave is the same (except the newer one requires longer mounting bolts I've heard) so that's why the 47 is higher, but its still a direct swap.

I just put a 95 s42 into my 89 with 351 and its awesome so I'm sure it will do fine in yours too...
To expand even further so as to not lump all 42s and 47s in one pile. What you say is true for the small block versions. Big Block versions had external slaves and a clutch fork.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To expand even further so as to not lump all 42s and 47s in one pile. What you say is true for the small block versions. Big Block versions had external slaves and a clutch fork.
You are right, didn't think to include that, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts