Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys.
I know I'm perhaps not truly a Bronco Speed regular Yet ... most of what I've done to this point is pretty trail oriented. But I just spent another week at the dunes and have convinced myself that the direction I want to go is "pre-runner" inspired.
I have been influenced and inspired by Yikes build among others and have a great love for big motors and "gettin it" across the dunes as well as big air time.

For those that aren't familiar with my rig take a look here.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110024

posts #20 and #28 cover the DT and there are more throughout the thread that show the history and progression of the project over the last almost 18 years.

I'll follow this post with an outline of where I think I'm headed and let you guys give me as much guidance as you can.
At least this will give me a single "home" thread to document the project as it moves forward.
Here are a couple of vids as we blasted the whoops last week.... enjoy

[url=http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/663366][/URL]

[url=http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/663367][/URL]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hahaha, all the way home I was building a sand friendly truck in my head......now would it be easier to add the ttb crossmember to the 79 frame or adapt the 79 body to the TTB frame :toothless......and the glass fenders and bedsides of course........Laura just roles her eyes:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha, all the way home I was building a sand friendly truck in my head......now would it be easier to add the ttb crossmember to the 79 frame or adapt the 79 body to the TTB frame :toothless......and the glass fenders and bedsides of course........Laura just roles her eyes:doh0715:
I'm sure Laura has about the same look on her face that Deanna does when I start talking about where this is going. That is a very cool looking crew Broken

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what I have in mind so far is AutoFab front fenders like these and the drop center hood, but I'd have to blend in a cowl induction scoop to clear my intake system.

Then rework some of John's bed sides to work on the Bronc.

My intentions would be something like this
  • Engine cage
  • full interior cage
  • 2.5" coil overs up front
  • I already have 2.5" King bumps for the front and cool idea for how I intend to mount them ( inlayed into the frame)
  • 2.5" by-pass or adjustable rear resivoirs
  • replace the rear bench with another pair of Mastercrafts

Here it where it gets a little bit fuzzy...
Do I spend the time /effort to build a trailing arm rear setup or go with Deaver leaves and stay simple but effective?

I will be running something like 35" x 16" paddles out back and desert tracks up front with the intent of maintaining full travel and the ability to full stuff all four corners. This is going to take some good planning with wheel offsets and perhaps some wheel tubbing.

I'm also toying with the idea of building a second set of fenders/Bedsides from a parts bronco with tube flares and the same fastening system as my glass stuff to allow for more durability on trail runs at TSF etc in the winter. Kind of a quick change fender system

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thoughts? I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

I think your plans sound good. I wouldn't go so far as to link the rear unless you plan on going really big on both front and rear and maybe extending the wheelbase. I say use leaves in the rear with a well-designed traction aid.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thoughts? I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

I think your plans sound good. I wouldn't go so far as to link the rear unless you plan on going really big on both front and rear and maybe extending the wheelbase. I say use leaves in the rear with a well-designed traction aid.
That was what my original thought was (staying with leafs) I thought I might essentially copy Brian's rear build.

A friend of mine had voiced concern about longevity of a leaf spring set up vrs. trailing arms and coils. I however am not convinced the gains if any would be worth the cost and effort without stretching the wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think among us, Paul is the only one really trashing leaf springs. For him I think the 4-link was a great choice, but I think we all agree that his truck get worked waaaaaayyyy more than ours. For most of us I think leaves do just fine. My rear suspension is virtually identical to Brian's (aside from shocks) and I have yet to feel like I need more. It does everything I need it to. Reliably and well. I know you like to build your own stuff, but I'm fairly certain John's f100 2-link kit would bolt on to your truck. It's a 30 minute install plus welding of 4 tabs... probably an hour total and it just plain works.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds tempting.....
Less time and effort than building my own. I have found my center link to work pretty well so far and wonder if there would be significant gains with Johns 2 link vs. deavers and my current center link set up and good shocks/ Bumps?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
That sounds tempting.....
Less time and effort than building my own. I have found my center link to work pretty well so far and wonder if there would be significant gains with Johns 2 link vs. deavers and my current center link set up and good shocks/ Bumps?
I'm curious about that as well Sven. In concept, the floating center link seems the ideal set-up for leafs to prevent wrap without limiting articulation, which is a question I have with the 2 link, but haven't tested it out. One advantage I've experienced with the 2 link is: The Spirit set-up is triangulated somewhat, which with the bushing rod ends seems to dampen lateral loads a bit in the turns. In other words, the rear doesn't feel like it wants to roll off of the springs as much, even with the 2.5" F53's.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can see how that might be the case. I have also been considering some sort of anti sway bar and wonder how far that would go to to eliminating the "feel" of rolling off the springs.
I understand that a sway bar will not do anything to locate the rear laterally.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I didn't realize you already had a traction aid in the rear. If it allows full wheel travel I say run it until you find a reason not to.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fabbed this up last year.

You can see why I wouldn't want to start over, however I will be building another rear housing with heavier tubes. This one was pretty badly bent when I pulled it apart a couple of weeks ago to set up the new spool and 35 splines. i ended up putting it back on the straightening fixture I had built and fixing it, but I have my doubts about air time a 6000lb rig and the current wall thickness of the 9" housing....

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
I'll be watching this closely! Its exactly what I want to do with my 78!

that rear traction bar setup...did you fab that up completely on your own? or is that a manufactured piece? Same question for the crossmember/skid combo. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, that's all my stuff I'm afraid.
cool that your following along, hope your patient as it seems my wife wants me to finish our house before I really tear into another major rework of the Bronc.

But I'll be getting started on the Bump stop placements and other work soon.

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
bah...I had hoped for an easy way out! :toothless

I'm patient. It'll take me forever just to get to where you are now, so its cool to see where you are going to take her!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.