Overhead Console Display Fix - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Overhead Console Display Fix

Got a blank overhead console temperature/compass display? Here's how to fix one variant of the circuitry that is at fault. This is on a '95 model; there are two different circuit boards commonly installed in the overhead console. Both tend to fail after so many years. The somewhat more common circuit board has a "510" resistor that burns out, and replacement of the resistor is documented in a different thread on the forum. This thread shows repair of the other less common circuit board, which has a capacitor that leaks and causes the display to boot up after a long delay or not at all. If you get halfway through this guide and your circuit board does not match the pictures, search the forums for info on replacement of the 510 resistor.

Start by removing the overhead console from the vehicle. There are three screws that you will need to remove before it will drop down. See pictures for screw locations circled in red.

Last edited by schwim; 02-12-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Once the console drops down, unplug the black electrical connector tethering it to the vehicle. There is a small black tab on the connector that you press down and the connector pulls apart.

Now remove the console electronics module from the console assembly. Remove the screws circled in red.

Work the electronic module out. Be gentle. You'll need to disconnect its electrical connector, just wiggle and pull.

You should have the module free now.

You'll notice it has two clips at the front and a hooked tab at the rear. Gently bend open the front clips and lift up the front, and slide the cover apart to remove the circuit board. Remove any static electricity from your body before touching the circuit board. When handling the circuit board, hold it by its outside edges.

Last edited by schwim; 02-12-2018 at 09:41 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Examine the circuit board. If you have the particular variant that has a failure-prone capacitor, it will look like this one. You're looking for the capacitor circled in red, and what looks like an oil spill at the base of it.

If this matches your board, notice the black stuff around the base of the capacitor. This is where the capacitor has leaked out its electrolytic solution. The capacitor ceases to function correctly or may not function at all. In some cases the leakage can actually damage the printed circuit and nearby components. For this reason, replacing the capacitor may not fix your display if the circuits are badly damaged. The circuit board pictured is not too bad; the capacitor still functioned a little bit, so after about 10 minutes of driving around the display would light up and work. Shut off the truck, and you had to wait for the delay again.

More pictures below of my board. If yours is badly damaged, such as the printed circuit being split or lifted off the board, you may want to find a replacement that is in better condition. The board that came on my Bronco was too badly damaged to work with a capacitor replacement, so I installed a junkyard board from a 1996 Explorer that was in better shape. This is the board that is pictured, and the capacitor replacement was successful.

If you do need to replace your board or want a spare, check Broncos and also 1991-1997 Explorers. In either 1998 or 1999 the design changed, and you can usually tell by the different connectors and sometimes white plastic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Here's where you're going to need to have your supplies ready to fix this. You'll need a soldering iron: pictured is the 20w/40w Radio Shack model I used, which works great for smaller projects. It cost about $25. I don't recommend using a soldering gun with high wattage, as you can damage the circuit board and nearby components. Honestly, 20 watts should be sufficient.

You'll need some solder. This is the kind I use, also available at Radio Shack, and it works awesome. Pictured next to the bad capacitor that is to blame for all this.

If you flip the circuit board over you'll see the base of the capacitor's pins. This is where you'll apply heat, melting the solder and pulling out the old capacitor for replacement of the new one.

Last edited by schwim; 01-08-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Now the important bit, the new capacitor. It's got to be the right one for the job, not all capacitors are the same! Instead of throwing specs at you (that are printed on the capacitor body) I will suggest a specific part number.

The stock capacitor is usually a Nichicon brand A9531. It has since been discontinued. Good riddance, it clearly wasn't that great. However, I'm told Nichicon is a good manufacturer and so my replacement was another Nichicon and ordered it through Digi-Key, which is a great seller. Their site is a little tricky so just put in the part numbers and go that way.

Digi-Key part number: 493-11653-1-ND
Manufacturer part number: UPV0J121MFD1TD
This is one of Nichicon's long-life models, made for way more cycles than the standard line capacitors, and the size is almost identical to the original capacitor (a hair taller but fits fine). Overall it should be a much longer life unit.

My cost at the time was about 54 cents per capacitor, so why not splurge and get two? Just in case you lose one or something.

The capacitors come packaged like this, just pull one off and trim the leads down short so it won't be sitting up high.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Before you remove the old capacitor and install the new one, note the polarity. All you have to do is make sure the white stripe on the new capacitor is in the same position as the old one was. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

You're simply going to melt the solder from the leads on the old capacitor (from the underside of the circuit board) and pull the old capacitor up and out while the solder is liquid. The new capacitor installs the same way, remember the polarity. You want the new capacitor to sit down on the board and not be sticking way up, which would cause the plastic module cover not to fit right. Keep heating up both leads and work the new capacitor down in. Take your time. Make sure not to get the capacitor itself too hot. If you are gently pushing the new capacitor down while heating the solder, the capacitor should NOT get hot enough to hurt your finger! You can kill it if it gets too hot so if you feel it getting real warm, let the solder and capacitor cool before continuing. Also, try not to let the leads of the capacitor touch each other during installation.

The new capacitor should sit down in place just like the old one. This picture shows how it should look (I know it's the old capacitor, I didn't have a picture of the new one installed).
dash_cam likes this.

Last edited by schwim; 02-12-2018 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Put it all back together. It's just the reverse of disassembly. Don't forget to connect the electrical connector to the display module, and the electrical connector to the overhead console.

If all goes well, your console display should light up very shortly after turning the ignition to RUN. If it does not immediately light up, don't freak out. Make sure your dimmer is turned up (rotate the headlight knob). Drive around for a little while and see if it lights up; a delayed light up means the capacitor is not functioning right, but the circuitry is still intact. You can always take it apart and try again.

This concludes this how-to. Questions and comments are welcome.
drnoes01 likes this.

Last edited by schwim; 02-12-2018 at 09:42 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 AM

this is very nice poooooooooooossssssssssssssssttttttttttt

Our Actual Exams and pass-4sure gre exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and exams. Our security plus is also very useful tool. pittstate for its easiness.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
Garage
THIS is a nice post....

This thread is very informative for 'electronic newbies' like myself.. Well done sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-ZF 5; F250SD 7.3PS-Auto CCLB
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco 5.0 4x4 Eddie Bauer all stock
Thank you very much, ordered the new capacitor from Digi key, actually ordered two just incase. worked like a charm. Excellent write up, now as soon as I turn on my turn on my truck there is the temp. Awesome, thanks again
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 PM

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic
could this be the problem with my console?? mine works half the time. and when i turn on exterior lights, the console flickers.. what do u think?? this looks like an easy fix so if this could b the problem , then ill sure do it..

My Build :DSW's 94 Eddie Bauer

My console build: Custom Center Console
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '94' XLT 5.8L E4OD M-T/C
Does a '94' XLT w/o OHC, come pre-wired for one?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
Does a '94' XLT w/o OHC, come pre-wired for one?
Remove the driver side kick panel trim and unbolt the e-brake bracket. There is a hole behind it. If you have a empty connector in it, yours is wired.

Quote:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Fullsize Member

Ok, Thanks!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Fullsize Member

Remove the driver side kick panel trim and unbolt the e-brake bracket

...did that, see a rectangular blank (toward firewall) tried to pry off top of it, had KI12 and 4T14 printed paper on it.

In engine compartment, see harness with many wires going to same location.

Is that what you were referring to?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM

You'd have to post a picture...how many wires in it and what are the colors? If you look in the massive OHC thread, there is a listing of the wire colors and their functions.

Quote:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Fullsize Member

Read multiple posts and don't think mine has the outlet. Another member with a '94', 5.8. XLT, said theirs didn't have the outlet and I couldn't find a sensor on the front or any 2 wire connector behind E-brake bracket.

There is a wiring harness that makes its connection behind the E-brake bracket but think that is for something else.

It did have the light sensor mirror on it when I bought it but it wasn't hooked up.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
This is the kick panel harness you need:

Wiring harness that plugs from kick panel up to console:

Sensor "blank" mounted on front drivers side front, ready for actual sensor:

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Fullsize Member

There is a wiring harness that makes its connection behind the E-brake bracket but think that is for something else.

Could this one be the connected plug I'm seeing, just already connected?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 PM

If you had the autodimming mirror, you should be wired up. Take down the A pillar trim on the driver side and the headliner trim by the windshield and see whats tucked up behind there.

Quote:
-Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode