Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Steve. I'll have to look it up and read up on it. Actually sounds like an interesting Analysis.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently made a new rear bumper after bending the stock one once again. I made it out of some scrap steel I had and decided to remount my stock spare tire carrier and turn it into a licence plate mount with led light, hi-lift mount, and a receiver hitch mount to hold a rack for extra gas and water,or what ever accessory I need.

And I also use a cargo topper for extended trips to free up inside cargo area.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,250 Posts
That's a fresh idea with the rear carrier and winch. Where does your spare go?

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a fresh idea with the rear carrier and winch. Where does your spare go?
I removed my rear seat and have the spare mounted inside using the "salt life" upgrade when doing day trips and local off-roading. I throw it on the top rack when I need more room inside for long trips.

I never use the winch when it's mounted on the spare tire carrier, it's just there for easy aces on the trail. I have 20' wire with jumper cable connects on one end so anybody on the trail with a receiver hitch can use it.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,250 Posts
I figured you didn't use the winch spare carrier. Just didn't see the spare tire and got to wonderin.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Just up late and surfing the site and realized my new seat covers would be perfect for camping/expo's. They're the tactical covers custom made by Coverking.com. I paid $200 (they were on sale I should point out) and got two complete seat covers made of ballistic nylon with molle webbing on the back, along with 6 pouches. I've also added a few more pouches and first aid kit from the local Army Surplus. Now I can keep most of my gear in easy reach without having to open up the tailgate or window. While I keep my main tools in a separate tool bag, I keep some quick emergency tools (screwdriver, wrenches, pliers, etc...), winching supplies, rope, gerber multitool, shovel, water bottle, military grade duck tape, aluminum speed tape, emergency knife, hammer, magnesium rod (fire starter), cotton balls (see fire starter), super glue, roll of steel wire, code reader, and a few other odds and ends stored on the backs of my seats. And all I need to do to access it all is tilt the appropriate seat forward. The only down side is the tools add so much weight, the seats have to be moved forward manually, but I can live with that. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just up late and surfing the site and realized my new seat covers would be perfect for camping/expo's. They're the tactical covers custom made by Coverking.com. I paid $200 (they were on sale I should point out) and got two complete seat covers made of ballistic nylon with molle webbing on the back, along with 6 pouches. I've also added a few more pouches and first aid kit from the local Army Surplus. Now I can keep most of my gear in easy reach without having to open up the tailgate or window. While I keep my main tools in a separate tool bag, I keep some quick emergency tools (screwdriver, wrenches, pliers, etc...), winching supplies, rope, gerber multitool, shovel, water bottle, military grade duck tape, aluminum speed tape, emergency knife, hammer, magnesium rod (fire starter), cotton balls (see fire starter), super glue, roll of steel wire, code reader, and a few other odds and ends stored on the backs of my seats. And all I need to do to access it all is tilt the appropriate seat forward. The only down side is the tools add so much weight, the seats have to be moved forward manually, but I can live with that. :D

I'm digging those seat covers! They're almost 300 for my 96. I'm interested to see how they hold up. I've heard mixed reviews about the smittybuilt ones for jeeps. I'm curious to know if they make your butt sweat or get uncomfortably warm...those were some of the complaints on the smittybuilts because of the cordura materials. Keep us posted on how they work out!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I'm digging those seat covers! They're almost 300 for my 96. I'm interested to see how they hold up. I've heard mixed reviews about the smittybuilt ones for jeeps. I'm curious to know if they make your butt sweat or get uncomfortably warm...those were some of the complaints on the smittybuilts because of the cordura materials. Keep us posted on how they work out!
They've held up well so far. I've got about 30 lbs. of gear on each one right now. I do recommend you supply your own pouches though. The ones that come with it are pretty limited.

The sweating is a problem on a hot day, since the material doesn't breath, but its a minor one for a guy who grew up on a tractor seat. Its no worse than vinyl or leather seats though. It is tougher too. Won't hold a stain and cleans up easy. The real upside these have over smittybilt is that these actually cover the whole seat and not just the front and back. And since each cover is custom made to fit over the existing seat fabric, they're pretty snug and won't go slipping everywhere. This does make installing them a little tough, but worth it in the end.

How is it the 96 covers are $300?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just throwing this in here, as I haven’t seen anybody list this stuff on FSB yet

I dont know how long they’ve been available to the public, but it seems that the mil-contract versions of the seat back molle panels have made it to DRMO and out to the surplus retailers, so you can now find these on ebay for under $20....just search for "molle vehicle panel"

Obviously they wont fit as well as the nice custom units like AFBronco235's, but for under $20 they are an inexpensive alternative to the pricier custom units...at least for us cheap folk

They are 14'x22' (ish)

There are a few companies making molle panels for safe doors. Pricey, but you can get a custom sized molle panel from these folks if for example, you wanted to cover the entire backe seat.

MOLLE Gun Safe Door Panel Organizer

And finally, some clever person stamped out some oversized PAP (OK, ok, they didnt stamp it, from what I read, they cut it with a waterjet but the end result is the same) with slots big enough for molle gear. So far it seems to be primarily geared towards anyone but the FSB crowd (surprise, surprise) but Im sure if a clever FSBer wanted to go this route they could easily adapt it for our BKOs. Pricey, but a rigid idea that allows the flexability of molle gear.

Also, some of these Ive seen didnt look like they would be too difficult to replicate by welding some 7/8 strips to some 3/8 square stock, but tedious work....still, a very customizable storage solution for a die hard DIYer

I think the overhead panel was a paricularly neat idea...someone also makes these in an all fabric panel. Id be on it if someone made a bolt in for the FSB.

This one is for a charger trunk:

41 - 52 of 52 Posts