Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nothing as of yet. Haven't given up on the idea. Waiting to see if the 10R80 controller comes out soon. It is still in beta testing.

With buying and clearing 20 acres, building a house and shop there hasn't been much time for anything else.

·
Registered
645 Posts
10R80 also has a lower RPM in tenth gear than the 6R80.
So you get that theoretical increase in gas mileage if you spend all day on the freeway. :)
I think 10R80 might also handle a bit more torque/HP if I remember correct?
And another bonus is you can find super low-mileage 10R80 all day long since it's still new.
While 6R80 used tranny's are going to be harder to find with low mileage.

This is on my to-do list for next year.
Hopefully the controller will be out of beta by then and there will be more swap accessory options.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sure would be nice to see a trans control in the Pimp,Stinger,Megasquirt stuff. The new 60pin has a controller built in
Stinger PIMP | MegaSquirt

Maybe the new system will have it soon
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/99-04-v8-mustang-gt/
I do not think you will see any transmission updates to those two devices as they are designed to be PnP with certain years that did not come standard with the 6R or 10R transmissions. It would take some serious hardware modifications that would consume more than is capable with a 60 pin device.

The MicroSquirt is typically used to do transmission control. As far as I know it will not do standalone, but it might. Do some research on it. It does work by using CAN Bus to talk to other PNP and DIY efi systems of the Megasquirt variety. I do not know if any firmware development is on going to upgrade the Microsquirt to handle the 6R or 10R.

I have shied myself away from Megasquirt products especially the DIY or AMP brand products. All I will say is that I do not like their so called business practices and their public display of animosity towards anyone that complains about their products. I will not go into further details for fear of being sued.

There are other systems out there that are just as good or better. Yes more money but more features. While not being directly plug in play they do offer conversion harnesses using factory sensors.

I will say if you want to stay the factory engine control route then use the Stinger PIMP it is basically the same as DIY PnP. Use either the Bauman or the Performance Automatic controller with the Stinger Pimp. I have Performance automatic come with either controller. The Performance Automatic controller you see in most pictures and videos is from PCS controls. and does not come with any kind of display.

I recently saw a picture of someone that 3D printed or vacuum formed from ABS plastic a dash insert that surface mounted the controller to the back of the insert. It was not on a Bronco, but was very clean install.

I read this morning the the HP record for the 10R80 was recently broken at over 1400HP!! Details on the specific trans mods were not given. It was a marketing and publicity hype piece will little details. Midnight Performance supplied the modified transmission. I suspect that billet internal parts from Brett LaSalle or from Australia were used.

While I doubt anyone with a Bronco would consider these HP levels it goes to prove how rugged these transmissions are. You are talking C6 HP levels with features that can optimise your system.

Imagine being able to run taller tires and steeper gears while not giving up crawl ratio or highway RPM. The 6R and 10R offer benefits are both ends of the vehicle speed.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Not really a section for this so chose to post this in Nobbie section. If mods think it belongs elsewhere please move it.

I have been considering swapping to a 6R80 6 Speed automatic transmission. Currently my plan was to use a ZF5-47 manual transmission, but behind the modified Big Block Ford I think it's life would be short lived. Besides my old legs and hips just can't handle city driving with a manual transmission. The 6R80 has a double overdrive so engine rpm can be lower at highway cruise speed. Hoping for something around 2000-2500 rpm. First gear is lower than what the C6 or AOD would offer and about the same as the ZF5. The 6R80 torque converter is a lockup style and aftermarket convertors are available with multi-disc lock up.
Gear Ratios:
1st 4.171
2nd 2.344
3rd 1.521
4th 1.143
5th 0.867
6th 0.691
Rev 3.403
With those gear ratios it should certainly offer a wide variety of driving improvements. Do you happen to have the 10 speed ratios too?

tim

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
1 4.69 : 1

2 2.98 : 1

3 2.14 : 1

4 1.76 : 1

5 1.52 : 1

6 1.27 : 1

7 1.00 : 1

8 0.85 : 1

9 0.68 : 1

10 0.63 : 1

R 4.86 : 1

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Thanks. I realized I should have googled it myself after posting. Inconsiderate of me, sorry.

Those ratios would certainly keep anything (and everything!) in its desired power range. It is interesting to me that the 9-10 difference is so small. I wonder if the factory vehicles are ever in 10th or continuously in 10th or even 9th for that matter? It would certainly be too many gears to count constantly while driving. lol

Interesting project, good luck with it. Thanks again.

tim

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
Super cool project!

My only curiosity. What's the point of having the 9th and 10th gear be so close?
0.68 and 0.63? That's hardly worth the effort. You're maybe talking 100 - 150 RPMs at 80mph.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hillbilly, did I understand correctly that the 6R80 will work with the NP 205 as long as it's 31 spline? I know this is older thread but I just read it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The 6R80 output shaft is 31 spline. Currently there is no adapter to bolt the NP205 to the transmission, but one can be made if there is enough demand. If your NP205 has anything other than a 31 spline input you can swap out the input shaft on the transfer case.

An update on the U.S. Shift controller. At PRI last week they introduced a Gen 2 model with an updated OLED display and an improved user interface. No news on the 10R80 controller as it is still in development.

Power By the Hour did do a 10R80 tear down video on YouTube. Amazing transmission but it requires a more complicated control scheme.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
How do we get demand up? If there is a pre-buy I'm in. I was looking at a super duty xfer case but again I can't find any mention of that for the conversion. I have also considered a 6R80 and xfer case from donor truck but I don't know if it's tied to the transmission programming or it could be wired as a stand alone. I don't need Auto AWD just hi low. Dana 20s are cheap but I don't know how much toque they can handle. Im rebuilding /upgrading I the engine. And would like to do engine/trans/ xfer case all at once. Thanks for all the info. Best thread I have found on the subject.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I would say contact Tumblin Automotive and/or Advanced Adapters. (links are in first post) Express an interest in an adapter for the Ford NP205 transfer case adapter. Tumblin worked in conjunction with Advanced to design the Dana 20 adapter. The one thing in favor of us wanting to use an NP205 is part of the design is already complete. The trans side is already there. Just requires the mounting depth and mounting interface. I know sounds simple doesn't it. I wish.

Thanks for the kind words. Goal was to place everything I learned in my research all in one place for everyone to use for reference.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I just talked to advanced adapters. They should have something by summer. They also said you can use the atlas adapter and clearance it with some material removal and work out your own linkage. I also learned that my Bronco has a BorgWarner 1356 for which the Atlas adapter will work with trimming of the female output shaft. I dont know why I was thinking NP205.

On another note I was just quoted a price for Mass air conversion with a 6R80 controller from The Mass Air Experts $1989. Does anyone have or know someone who has used their controller?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I would double check with MAE on their ability to provide you 6R80 control and mass air EFI. Looking on their site they offer EEC IV kits. EEC IV can not control a 6R80 transmission. They do offer a stand alone transmission controller just not for a 6R80.

The Ford ECUs that offer 6R80 control are based around 4.6, 5.4, 5.0 Coyote engines. Not the 302 or 351W engine. At this time I know of no one that has adapted one of these factory OHC ECUs to early model pushrod V8s.

Thanks for the great news from Advanced Adapters. I had not mentioned the Atlas adapter as is not a bolt up out of the box design. Like stated it does require machine work. The transfer case bolt pattern is the same as a Ford NP205. The mods required are not a typical DIY item. Without actual test fitting I can't say much about linkage but maybe a cable sifter from JB Custom Fabrication. Need to check clearances between adapter and linkage. Notching maybe required to clear the transfer case shift rails.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts