Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Well I picked up at 2011 6r80 and transfercase. Il be the guinea pig $650 so far it allegedly has 27k on it. Fluid looks good. I'll drain it and plan on installing it as is. I would like to try an use the transfer case as well. It would save me a bundle of I can make it work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
CONGRATULATIONS
First thing I would do is identify that transfer case. It appears the rear output uses a slip yoke design. Controlling the transfer case is going to be the tough part. If you are lucky you can use some kind of simple switch scheme to control it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS
First thing I would do is identify that transfer case. It appears the rear output uses a slip yoke design. Controlling the transfer case is going to be the tough part. If you are lucky you can use some kind of simple switch scheme to control it.
Thanks. I was reading where some guys have rigged it to work manually. There also apparently was a manual version offered until 2011. I've got more research to do. I'll start a build thread after I collect some additional parts.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
It looks like Tumblin Automotive has an adapter that will work for the NP205.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tumblin is the one that designed a develop the Dana 20 adapter and the 6 bolt adapter for Atlas and NP205 . I do not know what the business relationship is between Tumblin and Advanced.

After doing some digging I did find out that the Atlas and the NP205 share the same pattern.
Last sentence of this link with info direct from Advanced.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
WELL DAMN!! This commercialized forum will not allow me to edit my original post. So posting the info here.

You want a 2011 thru 2013 donor for two reasons using a later model is not possible.
Mid 2014 somewhere around April of that year the front pump and torque converter was changed and not compatible with earlier years.
Starting with the 2015 another change was done to accommodate start/stop operation. The crazy golf cart function where engine shuts off while stopped and automatically restarts when brake is released.

So this is where getting a later model for product updates is not a valid option.

I don't know if I posted this link before but a great option when searching for used parts at salvage yards and some good pricing. If you can't find it local most salvage yards do offer shipping.
Figure about $100-150 for shipping transmission to a residential address.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been watching your thread, really like how you a the first to try. Trying to plan up a 3.5 EB w/6r80 into a FJ62 Landcruiser. Can you measure the dimensions of the 6r80? I am worried about width. Using a Blackbox-C adapter to the stock cruiser transfercase should solve the differential drop side. Only worried I won't be able to clear the front driveshaft by the bulky side/pan of the 6r80. Thanks keep at it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I picked up at 2011 6r80 and transfercase. Il be the guinea pig $650 so far it allegedly has 27k on it. Fluid looks good. I'll drain it and plan on installing it as is. I would like to try an use the transfer case as well. It would save me a bundle of I can make it work.

WELL DAMN!! This commercialized forum will not allow me to edit my original post. So posting the info here.

You want a 2011 thru 2013 donor for two reasons using a later model is not possible.
Mid 2014 somewhere around April of that year the front pump and torque converter was changed and not compatible with earlier years.
Starting with the 2015 another change was done to accommodate start/stop operation. The crazy golf cart function where engine shuts off while stopped and automatically restarts when brake is released.

So this is where getting a later model for product updates is not a valid option.

I don't know if I posted this link before but a great option when searching for used parts at salvage yards and some good pricing. If you can't find it local most salvage yards do offer shipping.

Here is a 2013 model with 115,000 miles that I found within 50 miles from me. $400 you can't beat that price with an ugly woman

After consulting Mitchell1 Electronic Shift on the Fly wiring diagrams...I'm out...too complicated...and wiring diagnosis is what I do for a living.

On the EASY side...the manual transfer case has no electronic inputs...and, only 2 electronic outputs...namely: field coil to lock differential and 4x4 engagement light.

Manual transfer cases were only available behind the 6R80 from 2009 - 2011.

Here are the 6R80 + Manual Transfer case combinations I found on car-part.com:

2009 Transmissions
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 4.6L (3V, VIN 8, 8th digit), 4x4
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 5.4L (3V, VIN V, 8th digit), 4x4

2009 Transfer Cases
manual shift, ID 9L34-7A195-AE

2010 Transmissions
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 4.6L (3V, VIN 8, 8th digit), 4x4, AL3P-7000-MA
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 4.6L (3V, VIN 8, 8th digit), 4x4, AL3P-7000-MB
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 4.6L (3V, VIN 8, 8th digit), 4x4, AL3P-7000-MC
AT, 6R80 (6 speed), 5.4L (3V, VIN V, 8th digit), 4x4, (ID AL3P-7000-BA thru AL3P-7000-BD)

2010 Transfer Cases
manual shift, ID AL34-7A195-BA
manual shift, ID AL34-7A195-BB
manual shift, ID BL34-7A195-AA
manual shift, ID BL34-7A195-BA

2011 Transmissions
AT, (6 speed, 6R80), 3.5L (turbo), 4x4
AT, (6 speed, 6R80), 3.7L, 4x4
AT, (6 speed, 6R80), 5.0L, 4x4
AT, (6 speed, 6R80), 6.2L, 4x4

2011 Transfer Cases
manual shift, ID AL34-7A195-BA
manual shift, ID AL34-7A195-BB
manual shift, ID BL34-7A195-AA
manual shift, ID BL34-7A195-BA

From a single doner, I would obtain these parts:

• 6R80 Automatic Transmission
  • Manual transfer case
  • Transfer case shifter and shift linkage
  • Transmission shifter and shift linkage
  • Front driveshaft
  • Rear driveshaft

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I will have to go back and read the Bauman transmission controller manual but I don't think you need to worry about any transfer case wiring using a manual case.
The transmission has an output speed sensor built in and connected into the wire frame harness.

I need to go thru the Bauman software and review how it handles 4wd. If I recall correctly it's not a major thing.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I went back and refreshed my memory. I wasn't completely correct.
Configuration with 4wd offers a couple of options.

First option is you tell the software what your 4Low ratio is and supply either by manual switch or input from transfer case to indicate 4Low selected. It will automatically correct the speedometer output signal so your speedometer reads correctly.

The other option is don't worry about signally the controller you are using 4Low. The speedometer output signal will not be adjusted therefore your speedometer will read incorrectly.

As I remembered neither option effects the operation of the transmission or the controller. It could care less what mode you are in.

IMPORTANT
You do need to tell the configuration what your axle ratio and tire size is for correct transmission operation and speedometer indication if using an electric speedo.

If your transfer case has a mechanical speedo output and you are using a mechanical speedo then that is up to you to calibrate it correctly with the correct cable gear.

If I have confused anyone I will grab some screen shots of the software setup.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How are you going to shift the transfer case? I'm thinking manual shift would be easier.

Here are the 2011 F150 wiring diagrams for Electronic Transfer Case (ESOF).

On the other hand, the manual transfer case requires no wiring; except a simple circuit to illuminate the 4x4 dash light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Spoke with Kevin at Baumann Electronics.

RE: Bronco 5.0 | 5.8 Windsors fitted to 6R80 transmissions | with provision for 4x4 transfer case

List of Transmission that WILL NOT work w/Baumann controllers:
  • any 6R80 originally behind a 4.6 or 5.4 engine of any year. They are controlled by an internal module and cannot be controlled w/Bauman.
  • any 2009 - 2010. They are controlled by an internal module and cannot be controlled w/Bauman.
  • any 6R80 originally behind any V-6. They have a different bellhousing bolt pattern.
List of Transmissions that WILL WORK:
  • 2011 - 2017 F150 5.0 Coyote

• 2011 Mustang 5.0 Coyote
    • Mustang case has casting bosses to allow Mustang shifter mount.
    • shift cable approaches from rear
    • salvage prices as much as x2 for stang parts
    • less plentiful
List of Transfer Cases that are manual shift:
  • 2010 - 2011 F150 XL or XLT
  • 2009 is a unique part number and different manual shift T-case that may or may not work.
Shifters:

Kevin summarized: "It boils down to matching shifter detent with transmission detent. If your good at engineering, you may be able to design something that works, otherwise, decide which F150 or Mustang floor or column shifter, brackets, and cables and adapt that work on your project.

Aftermarket: LOKAR (ESS6R80HB) and Performance Automatic (#PA 68501) are aftermarket 6R80 shifters.

Sport Mode: The Baumann controller has the ability to store a separate "performance transmission tune" that is intended to function with shifters that have an additional engagement provision labeled "S" for "Sport". Here's a Lokar Sport Mode Shifter PDF and Performance Automatic Video mentioning the Sport mode shifter provision.

Baumann controller ships with basic tunes that should equate to Plug and Play street drivability...

Fun Stuff.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Have you checked to see if these guys can build the adapter you need?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Please try to save the design if it works, so you can either sell it or share it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on the 205 adapters for the 6R80? I am new but long time FAN ! I have a couple questions. The first relates to a 3.9 John Deere Diesel I am swapping into a 1970 Scout 800. I have both NP 205 T-cases Chevy and Ford. I would like to run the Chevy to keep the front Dana 44 (passenger side drop) I transplanted from a Scout II, but I am not opposed to swapping to a Dana 60 (drivers side hi-pinion drop) Ford! My plans were to build a 700R4 or a 4l60 (both weak) but discovered the strength (400+hp), moreover the low gearing (4.17.1) of the 6R80.
1) Is there a Diesel Torque converter available for the 6R80?
2) 205 adapter for the 6R80 done yet?
3) is there or will the adapter work on a Chevy 205 I know it would be a different bolt pattern and poss. input, BUT?
4) Would this be possible swap for my Diesel 7.3 4x4 van
Any and all info is appreciated!!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts