Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
This is fun stuff! I've been looking at doing a 6R80 and Atlas transfer case (twin stick but not sure if there's enough driveline length for that). Keep up the good work and keep posting your findings, part numbers, links, etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm undertaking in-house adaptation.
While the 6R80 bolts up directly to the Windsor, I had to turn new alignment dowels on the lathe. There is no need for a bellhousing adapter plate.

The E4OD starter mounts with 2 bolds. The 6R80 starter mounts with 3 bolts.

I plan to use this aftermarket starter: Powermaster #9132. This starter is the aftermarket starter of choice for Coyote / 6R80 Mustang and F150 owners looking for more torque.

I can modify the starter/bellhousing a bit, and mount the starter to the 6R80.

I now have all the transmission swap components...6r80 trans, manual transfer case that was originally mated to the 6r80 trans, the oe floor shifter, and both drive shafts.

Building the engine now...will pick back up on the transmission in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
While the 6R80 bolts up directly to the Windsor, I had to turn new alignment dowels on the lathe. There is no need for a bellhousing adapter plate.

The E4OD starter mounts with 2 bolds. The 6R80 starter mounts with 3 bolts.

I plan to use this aftermarket starter: Powermaster #9132. This starter is the aftermarket starter of choice for Coyote / 6R80 Mustang and F150 owners looking for more torque.

I can modify the starter/bellhousing a bit, and mount the starter to the 6R80.

I now have all the transmission swap components...6r80 trans, manual transfer case that was originally mated to the 6r80 trans, the oe floor shifter, and both drive shafts.

Building the engine now...will pick back up on the transmission in a few weeks.

View attachment 159012

View attachment 159013

View attachment 159016
Do you have any pictures of the engine and trans bolted together? I am getting ready yo do this swap. if I can save the $525 for the adapter that would be a plus.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I have been watching a thread on another forum. It is a generic 429-460 engine adaption to a 6R80.
Have learned that the Performance Automatic adapter requires the use of a 6R80 from a 3.5L turbo motor. Reason is the Mod Motors use a 3 bolt starter. 3.5L uses a 2 bolt starter. One item of note is the way the starter mounts and because the bellhousing is so large, the bolt that screws into the starter from the backside is inside the bellhousing. This means the starter has to be installed before the transmission is mounted. Hopefully they will change this. It needs to be a threaded stud on the adapter and the threaded hole on the starter drilled out.
Great thread to be following.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have been watching a thread on another forum. It is a generic 429-460 engine adaption to a 6R80.
Have learned that the Performance Automatic adapter requires the use of a 6R80 from a 3.5L turbo motor. Reason is the Mod Motors use a 3 bolt starter. 3.5L uses a 2 bolt starter. One item of note is the way the starter mounts and because the bellhousing is so large, the bolt that screws into the starter from the backside is inside the bellhousing. This means the starter has to be installed before the transmission is mounted. Hopefully they will change this. It needs to be a threaded stud on the adapter and the threaded hole on the starter drilled out.
Thanks. Ill start following it too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks. Ill start following it too.
I have a 5.0 trans. I'm going to call Performance transmission again. I talked to them last week and they didn't say a word when I told them I had a 2011 6R80 for a 5.0. Ill report back. They are 30 minutes from my house so I may do a covered face to covered face talk.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have a 5.0 trans. I'm going to call Performance transmission again. I talked to them last week and they didn't say a word when I told them I had a 2011 6R80 for a 5.0. Ill report back. They are 30 minutes from my house so I may do a covered face to covered face talk.
I just talked to Bill at Performance automatic. The 3.5 Trans is for the big block. The 5.0 is for the small block. Sheeeeewwwww! I was sweating.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I am shewwwing too. I had put off buying a transmission because of some type of strange virus thing. Glad I did because I am going with a BBF and I know I would have bought a 5.0L tranny.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,658 Posts
I've been following that thread as well. I'd love to have an auto overdrive tranny behind the 460 I'm going to put in my F100.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is a 2015 (Coyote) 6R80 bolted directly to the 351W. Three original bellhousing bolt holes line up; plus, the two alignment dowels line up. I'll probably re-design the alignment dowel closest to the starter to allow the 351W bellhousing bolt to pass thru the dowel and engage threads in the Windsor block. Then, there will be 4 bellhousing bolts.

There's still a lot to figure out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Knowing the loads placed on the case you would be better off using a properly designed adapter system like PA's. Being 4wd and having the additional torsional load place on the case every factory designed bolt hole should be used. I know we all try to be frugal but this is no place to go rigging something to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Knowing the loads placed on the case you would be better off using a properly designed adapter system like PA's. Being 4wd and having the additional torsional load place on the case every factory designed bolt hole should be used. I know we all try to be frugal but this is no place to go rigging something to save a few bucks.
Having mounted the trans to the block for the first time, I see the need to convert the alignment dowels to bolts, thread the block, and have 5 out of 5 mounting bolts in play. I think the PA adapter is designed the same way; such that the alignment dowels have been converted to bolt holes.

I don't have anything against the PA adapter; except, spacing the transmission away from the block by using PA's 5/8" thick adapter creates the need for a 5/8" spacer at the torque converter. I'd like to avoid this...omit the 5/8" adapter and 5/8" converter spacer... and just bolt the transmission to the block with 5 bolts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No adapter and no spacer is necessary to mate a coyote 6r80 to a windsor.

With some minor modification, the alignment dowels can be altered to allow a bolt to pass thru and catch threads in the windsor block. Carrying out this mod would result in 5 out of 5 bellhousing bolts being used.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Thanks for the info. How are you going to deal with the starter?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Ok for the guys doing 460 swaps there is a better kit out there that is truly bolt on and no having the remove the transmission to get to the upper starter bolt. Also no cutting or grinding on the case. Granted it is thicker than the other adapter but is a much cleaner and better design. They are working on the adapter for the small blocks. He says it is a couple of months away.
Someone is going to complain about how thick it is and how thick the spacer ring is for the torque converter. This is for two reasons. Provides the proper depth of thread length to hold the fasteners securely and it also adds a lot of rigidity to the whole assembly. Starter is firmly attached. This was designed by guys that actually work on vehicles and know the pains of trying to work on something. Also this uses the 5.0 coyote motor transmission which is stronger than the 3.5 transmission.
This adapter will also work with the 10R80 once there is a controller available.

Here is the video for the 460 swap. I am sure the small block will be very similar.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts