Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
My version of sliders for a 78/79 Bronco.

I built mine using 1.75 dom tubing, 2x3 rectangular, 1.5 square tubing and 3x16 plate. I secured them with 1/2" grade 8 bolts,washers & locking washers. I doubled up the 1.5 square tube for the supports. When it was time for paint I scuffed them up with sandpaper and a brillo pad, cleaned them with a duplicolor prep wipe, primered with rustoleum rust killer primer, painted them with duplicolor truck bedcoating in a spray can and rolled on the coating in the "step" area for traction. Finally for the completion I sprayed 3 coats of duplicolor textured metal flake paint.
Most of these sliders look great but isn't there a company that manufactures these or very similar, that I could buy them instead of make them myself? I probably dont have the skills or a good enough welder to do myself. I want true sliders to use off road and not nerf bars.
Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
The rock sliders saved getting more body damage on the large rock. The bottom of the rear fender wasn't so lucky when we came off the rock.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Most of these sliders look great but isn't there a company that manufactures these or very similar, that I could buy them instead of make them myself? I probably dont have the skills or a good enough welder to do myself. I want true sliders to use off road and not nerf bars.
Thanks
You can try http://www.heftyfabworks.com/

His stuff is plenty strong

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,250 Posts
Forgot to post mine. I put them on the Bronco about 3yrs ago. I constructed them out of 2x4x1/4" steel tube they are welded and sealed and could be used as storage tanks (primarily air) I tested them to 140 psi, but never charged them on the Bronco. I incorporated a removable step on each side. I have usex them many times and even jacked the up Bronco with them.

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
Figure I'll add a couple of the new sliders I made, they have worked well so far!

The main slider is 2x2 .25 wall and the outboard slider is 1.5x1.5 .25 wall.
These things are beef! Really happy with the form and function.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I see everyone is using about 67" sliders, I was thinking about going with 60". I would like any helpful responses. Reason I was going with 60 is I have the perfect metal that is 60 inches, and I wa thinking that it would take a couple inches to impact. I will increase to 67 if that is best.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Going to start a set in a week or so.
Greg at a local Fab shop "Rock & Road Performance" is going to put a kit together for me
so all I have to do is fit the plates to the frame and weld everything together.
Will be made out of 2" DOM

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's pretty much exactly what I want. Something that basically mimics the lines of the stock steps but offers protection from rocks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know it's been a few years, but this has been a helpful thread. I basically copied Saltlife but without the round kick-out. Specs are .188 2x4 for the main, .188 2x2 for the legs, .250 for the plates, rattle-can bedliner and bolted to the frame with 3/8" grade 8 fine thread hardware. Don't judge my poor welds. I also notched to clear the fender mount tab.

On the drivers' side, did you guys have to relocate the fuel filter? The FF bracket is right where I want to mount the plate. Also, any pics of how to negotiate the parking brake cable on the drivers' side? I'm thinking of mounting the drivers' side right where the cable goes to the split bracket, but I'll have to remove the spring and cut that tension screw. 20190907_164235.jpg 20190907_170629.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

141 - 159 of 159 Posts